Casual water on the tee.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
The other day, I was standing on a very wet tee - with water collecting around ones feet as you took your stance. Which got me thinking - can you take relief from casual water on the teeing ground, and what would be the case if the NPOR was outside the teeing ground?

One knows that the tee ought not have been where it was, but it was, so what to do other than just ignore the water?

Ps: this while waiting to tee off rather than a ball having landed on a tee during play.

Last edited:

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Since the relief from the AGC is a dropped ball then I cant see a player going for that option over placing (or teeing up) their ball prior to putting it in play

If the casual water covers the whole teeing ground... no idea but look forward to the answers from the experts

G

guest100718

I'd probably be looking to join a different club...

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
This is what I thought - if a ball is not in play, you don't have a ball that is suffering interference - from casual water or anything else

Problem arose from a forward tee where I think there is a leaking irrigation pipe. Too wet to be just rain. We'll see if anything is fixed - or at least they'll have moved the teeing ground

woody69

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
EDIT: rule fan is right as the ball isn't in play. This is covered in 25-1b/4

Last edited:

Maccy

Club Champion
Visit site
Could you not have put the ball further back, or was the whole tee box wet? I'm sure I heard the other day that you're allowed to tee off from up to 2 club lengths behind the pins.

G

guest100718

^^^^^this guy cracks me up :rofl:

What if you put a load of divot mix down for you to stand on, would that be classed as improving your lie. Just 2 little patches for your feet.

is this funny?

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
Could you not have put the ball further back, or was the whole tee box wet? I'm sure I heard the other day that you're allowed to tee off from up to 2 club lengths behind the pins.

You heard correctly.

Also, you are allowed to clear casual water from the tee.

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
^^^^^this guy cracks me up :rofl:

What if you put a load of divot mix down for you to stand on, would that be classed as improving your lie. Just 2 little patches for your feet.
I think that would incur a 2 shot penalty for building a stance! You are allowed to tee up from up to 2 club lengths behind the tee markers if that would have helped.

Last edited:

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think that would incur a 2 shot penalty for building a stance! You are allowed to tee up from up to 2 club lengths behind the tee markers if that would have helped.

You can create or eliminate irregulaities within the teeing ground so would that not be ok?

Admittadely this would require you to be taking your stance between the sticks and in a rectangle 2 club lengths deep so might not suit all tees and wouldn't not allow for people taking thier stance outside this area. but is it within the rules?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
is this true? you're allowed to clear casual water from the tee??

25-1b/4

Casual Water Covering Teeing Ground

Q.After several groups have played a particular hole, a player arrives at the teeing ground of that hole and the teeing ground has become completely covered with casual water. What is the procedure?
A. Even though the players may remove water from the teeing ground (Rule13-2),
25-1 is not applicable since the player's ball is not in play.

13-2. Improving Lie, Area Of Intended Stance Or Swing, Or Line Of Play
A player must not improve or allow to be improved:

• the position or lie of his ball,
  • the area of his intended Stance or swing,
  • his Line Of Play or a reasonable extension of that line beyond theHole, or
  • the area in which he is to drop or place a ball,
by any of the following actions:

• removing dew, frost or water.
However, the player incurs no penalty if the action occurs:

Last edited:

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
is this true? you're allowed to clear casual water from the tee??

Yes, you are. See Rule 13-2. There are exceptions to actions which are prohibited in terms of improving your lie, area of intended swing or line of play. They include

creating or eliminating irregularities of surface within the Teeing Ground or...... removing dew, frost or water from the Teeing Ground