Castle Stuart and surroundings

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
A buddy of mine is looking to do a trip to Castle Stuart in April ... I assume that will require a flight to Inverness...

But need to tap in to local knowledge please ...2 or 3 other courses we need to play in the Area? Nairn.. anyone able to host in return for a game at Saunton or Royal St David's (if you're passing!) :)

Anywhere good to stay that won't require selling a kidney?

All wisdom appreciated! Thanks

D

Deleted member 23270

I stayed in a reasonably priced Premier in Inverness. Also played Nairn and Golspie but Tain, Brora, Fortrose and Moray are all good options as well. If going that far up it would be a shame not to include Dornoch.

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
It's really a how far do you want to travel, are they renting a car? Presumably so?

Nairn is superb (That's The Nairn aka Nairn West).

I love Forres, but April probably too early for inland courses, same goes for the superb Boat of Garten.

So head for Lossiemouth and the Old & New Moray courses as your next stop going east.

If you are happy to head over the Kessock bridge north onto the Black Isle and beyond, then Brora > Tain > Golspie > Fortrose & Rosemarkie in that order.

Hotels at that time of year shouldn't be stupid money, tons of small B&Bs, I've stayed in the Best Western Palace on Ness Walk, you're right in centre of Inverness there across from the castle, it's not high end, but it's not crap either.

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
He will get a good view of the course on the flight in 😀
Nairn has to be on the list for me, then it will be depend on how far he wants to travel, would be a-shame not to play Royal Dornoch if this far up.
Depending on dates (I work away from home)I could host at either Inverness or Fortrose.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Inverness is pretty good base, for both Moray coast courses. Castle Stuart, Both Nairns, Moray and hopeman as well as Rosshire and Sutherland. lots of Hotels and B&B in town. Hire a car is probably the cheapest, CS is a 10 min drive from town Nairn is half an hour, Fortrose the same Tain 45 mins and Dornoch and Hour Moray the Same

if you are only Playing 3 id suggest CS, Nairn and Dornoch if you are coming all this way. You should be ok getting a booking at Dornoch that early in the season, but id contact them well in advance to be on the safe side. We had to book all out tee times well in advance for next year. Failing that id got with either Fortrose and either Tain, Brora or Moray old as the next level. Alas i wouldn't be able to host, work commitments and the possibility i might not rejoin Nairn Next year, as im just not playing enough with my new job.

April is a good month usually weather wise we often get a better spring than summer, though growth is slow that time so courses wont be as good as later on