Castle Stewart , accommodation ?

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Interested to hear your thoughts/opinion on Prestwick, all four of us were rather underwhelmed by the course, certainly wouldn't rush back or pay more than £70.
A date hasn't been arranged yet, but i think winter rules will be in play, so mats or drop from fairway. I'll report back on both venues (y)

D

Deleted member 21258

Thought Prestwick welcome was the best part of the experience/venue/course.

Course was in great condition, not a hard challenge(even in the silly strong winds that we played it in), course layout was okay, some unusual holes and good mix of holes but just nothing special really:oops:, upstairs eating was as JG says felt like a café seating. A £40-50 golf course with a £250 welcome/experience IMHO.

Cant wait to hear williamalex1 what you think of Castle Stuart ? and Prestwick ?

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site

Course was in great condition, not a hard challenge(even in the silly strong winds that we played it in), course layout was okay, some unusual holes and good mix of holes but just nothing special really:oops:, upstairs eating was as JG says felt like a café seating. A £40-50 golf course with a £250 welcome/experience IMHO.

Cant wait to hear williamalex1 what you think of Castle Stuart ? and Prestwick ?

Wouldn't argue with any of that. The guys who welcome you are what makes Prestwick. Great touch with the photograph.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site

he won't like the Bunkers put it that way:ROFLMAO:
i agree with the comment on the cost, but its getting like that in Scotland now with the yanks driving the cost up, luckily both these do SGU rates which don't make them out of reach of locals.

Castle Stuart IMO is far better than Kingsbarnes, but saying that i wouldn't pay to play there at this time of year, though they don't tend to do winter Maintainence until they close at the end of Nov, i played there last week on a freebee and it was very solf with all the rain we have had here over the last few months

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
i agree with the comment on the cost, but its getting like that in Scotland now with the yanks driving the cost up, luckily both these do SGU rates which don't make them out of reach of locals.

Castle Stuart IMO is far better than Kingsbarnes, but saying that i wouldn't pay to play there at this time of year, though they don't tend to do winter Maintainence until they close at the end of Nov, i played there last week on a freebee and it was very solf with all the rain we have had here over the last few months

Again I probably wouldn't argue with this either. Don't think that there is much between them and it'll come down to advertising budgets and personal choice to see what influences you more than the other.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site

Bunkers won't be a problem now that the new rule is at last in place :ROFLMAO:.

D

Deleted member 21258

Massive off topic, could I ask whens the best time of year (course conditions and maybe weather) to play in the Castle stuart/dornoch/Nairn area and visit the surrounding area for general stuff(walks) ? Thanks.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Massive off topic, could I ask whens the best time of year (course conditions and maybe weather) to play in the Castle stuart/dornoch/Nairn area and visit the surrounding area for general stuff(walks) ? Thanks.
20 guys from my club played Castle Stuart 2 weeks ago in the Golf Scotland final qualifier and 2 of them qualified for the final in Turkey, they all thought the course was terrific, and highly recommended it.(y)

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site

personally i would want to go late July/Aug, but we tend to get far better weather April/May the last few years. only trouble then is the course is just starting to come good after no growth over the winter. for walking any time of year is good TBH. Nairn is a good base though, it gets better weather than Inverness.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
20 guys from my club played Castle Stuart 2 weeks ago in the Golf Scotland final qualifier and 2 of them qualified for the final in Turkey, they all thought the course was terrific, and highly recommended it.(y)
they delib have that at their quite time though, weather can be very changeable this time of year and though you can get very nice days, you can also get some real stinkers at least if you come in the "summer" it will be over 10 deg and not 4 :ROFLMAO:

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site

We played Castle Stuart today Thursday, delighted to say the weather was great considering what it's been like recently, 6 degrees with only a slight breeze. And only a 10 minute hail shower when Patrick must'v had his dogs out for a short walk :D.
The course was in great nick, we were all really impressed well worth the money and travel, but next time we will arrange an extra game somewhere local the next day..

Patrick, fortunately i was only in the 1 bunker the right hand green-side @ the 17th, played out to 4 feet :love: but sadly a 4 , lipped out for my 3.
Delighted with 36 points from the green tees, considering my recent form it was a bit of a shock and minor miracle :p .
Some scary looking holes from the back tees :eek: especially for high handicappers. The white tees look manageable on a good calm day.
Highly recommend the course despite the 3 hour journey there and 4 hours back.(y)(y)(y)

Last edited:

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
personally i would want to go late July/Aug, but we tend to get far better weather April/May the last few years. only trouble then is the course is just starting to come good after no growth over the winter. for walking any time of year is good TBH. Nairn is a good base though, it gets better weather than Inverness.

My lad finishes his first year at Dornoch in May. Was planning to take the clubs and pick him up, play Dornoch and Brora, possibly also Golspie, Tain and Castle Stewart depending on costs, time etc. Might have to change this depending on his summer placement arrangements which are currently being discussed at the Uni. Either way, looking like a May trip for us.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
My lad finishes his first year at Dornoch in May. Was planning to take the clubs and pick him up, play Dornoch and Brora, possibly also Golspie, Tain and Castle Stewart depending on costs, time etc. Might have to change this depending on his summer placement arrangements which are currently being discussed at the Uni. Either way, looking like a May trip for us.
i would imagine the Golf course related courses at the UHI would get a preff deal on those courses

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 21258

We played Castle Stuart today Thursday, delighted to say the weather was great considering what it's been like recently, 6 degrees with only a slight breeze. And only a 10 minute hail shower when Patrick must'v had his dogs out for a short walk :D.
The course was in great nick, we were all really impressed well worth the money and travel, but next time we will arrange an extra game somewhere local the next day..

Patrick, fortunately i was only in the 1 bunker the right hand green-side @ the 17th, played out to 4 feet :love: but sadly a 4 , lipped out for my 3.
Delighted with 36 points from the green tees, considering my recent form it was a bit of a shock and minor miracle :p .
Some scary looking holes from the back tees :eek: especially for high handicappers. The white tees look manageable on a good calm day.
Highly recommend the course despite the 3 hour journey there and 4 hours back.(y)(y)(y)

Cheers, am looking forward to next year even more (y)

Sounds like you had a cracking time. Enjoy Prestwick in a couple of weeks time.