Cast of legends...

D

Deleted member 15344

And hardly a mention of it on the BBC website. So much for their interest in sport. But if it was ladies' kayaking or women's one-legged bowling, then it would be all over BBC2 and their sites. And we're funding this through the licence fee.

It’s not exactly a massive event is it when you look at all the other sporting events going on today - a Seniors Event will be way down the list - there is also nothing on the Sky Sports Website - even in the Golf section - their headlines are exactly the same as the BBC - TDF , Grand Prix but Sky have Darts and BBC have Hockey - all events that no doubt the British public will take more of an interest in

I did notice that BBC do have a report on the Women’s Scottish Open on the front Page don’t see that on the Sky main page

But a great win from Jimenez - it was all a bit slow and lacking of excitement so I reckon it’s prob not the best advert for growing the game but even more so to use it as a cheap shot at the bbc is a touch pathetic

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
And hardly a mention of it on the BBC website. So much for their interest in sport. But if it was ladies' kayaking or women's one-legged bowling, then it would be all over BBC2 and their sites. And we're funding this through the licence fee.

Your examples are a tad far fetched but the one legged bowling sounds good. I assume these would be the younger bowlers aimed at the yoof market. Sadly I feel the BBC will no longer rate golf as a viable option. Their coverage is as staid as ever and I don't see that changing.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Irrespective of the total codswollop some consider reasonable comment on Seniors Golf...Great performance bt MAJ and BL!

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
If I played with him I would simply play the first couple of holes so slowly that we got put on the clock. Why should he dictate the (lack of) pace of a group.

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Your examples are a tad far fetched but the one legged bowling sounds good. I assume these would be the younger bowlers aimed at the yoof market. Sadly I feel the BBC will no longer rate golf as a viable option. Their coverage is as staid as ever and I don't see that changing.

Or alternatively, if the BBC had the rights to the Seniors Open, then it would have been the lead story ahead of all others.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Didn't get as much of my usual fix of tv golf this weekend but from what I did see I noticed the broadcaster gave priority to the Seniors event over the ET coverage, which was nice

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Didn't get as much of my usual fix of tv golf this weekend but from what I did see I noticed the broadcaster gave priority to the Seniors event over the ET coverage, which was nice

This wasn't really the case. The European Open was shown to a conclusion, then they picked up the seniors with the leaders around the turn.

I assume this was planned in terms of having the Seniors tee off times a bit later. Especially for American TV.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
This wasn't really the case. The European Open was shown to a conclusion, then they picked up the seniors with the leaders around the turn.

I assume this was planned in terms of having the Seniors tee off times a bit later. Especially for American TV.

Sorry wasn't clear, the broadcaster here gave the seniors priority and showed them from much earlier and on the regular channel number where ET usually is & the ET was moved to one of the expansion channels and didn't get as many hours over the 4 days

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk

Not sure about the (spoof) examples, but the participants' demographic puts them way down the BBC pecking order.

MegaSteve

Tour Winner
Visit site
Or alternatively, if the BBC had the rights to the Seniors Open, then it would have been the lead story ahead of all others.

Murdoch had a word in his puppet Osbourne's ear [when he was in No 11] which saw the Beeb being warned off interfering with Sky's golf coverage... Which is why the Beeb withdrew from covering the Open before the end of it's contract otherwise there would have been severe consequences...

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Noticeable that the TV cameras never seem to provide a close up of his action.

Is that for fear of confirming some people's suspicions?

I spotted that - as Langer addressed the ball the camera would often zoom in on his grip then very quickly drop down to the putter head - I guess any lingering on his grip would spark accusations that Sky is looking for issues around him anchoring...and the Langer is breaking the rule. Not something Sky would want to be accused of.

Anyway - really enjoyed Saturday in the wind - less so yesterday in the rain. But still good watching Jimenez, Langer and the others battle the conditions playing excellent golf.

Last edited:

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Good win for Jimmy Ness.

still unsure about BL looks like he is but powers that be says he's not. the other guy ( can't rem his name, wearing Black jumper) with the Broom handle that was in one of the last couple of Groups def was iMO you could see his jumper move every time he took his stance

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Good win for Jimmy Ness.

still unsure about BL looks like he is but powers that be says he's not. the other guy ( can't rem his name, wearing Black jumper) with the Broom handle that was in one of the last couple of Groups def was iMO you could see his jumper move every time he took his stance

I did see an angle of him putting at Carnoustie that looked legit.

Although he rips the piss with the time he takes, I would be confident he will have worked on a system that doesn't anchor. Same with Adam Scott. He just wouldn't want to knowingly break the rules like that.

Especially Langer at age 61. Surely if he couldn't putt without anchoring he would retire.

Visit site
Langer IS slow, I would find him quite annoying......except his skill cannot be denied. I really don't get the long putter. In my opinion, it's a disadvantage, and one of the Sky commentators at St Andrews said that the wind was affecting the long putters. It didn't look to me that Langer had any advantage with the putter he was using.
The R & A could have put this to bed years ago with a simple rule...."the putter cannot be longest club in the bag" Sorted!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Langer IS slow, I would find him quite annoying......except his skill cannot be denied. I really don't get the long putter. In my opinion, it's a disadvantage, and one of the Sky commentators at St Andrews said that the wind was affecting the long putters. It didn't look to me that Langer had any advantage with the putter he was using.
The R & A could have put this to bed years ago with a simple rule...."the putter cannot be longest club in the bag" Sorted!
I always thought they looked cumbersome, but before the anchoring ban more and more players seemed to be using them, so there must obviously be merit and advantage in using them. Maybe not now you can't anchor them, but certain players will be stuck in their ways.

MegaSteve

Tour Winner
Visit site
I always thought they looked cumbersome, but before the anchoring ban more and more players seemed to be using them, so there must obviously be merit and advantage in using them. Maybe not now you can't anchor them, but certain players will be stuck in their ways.

Yet, I've only ever come across one amateur using one and it was only ever a dalliance... We seem happy to try/use the exotic looking headed ones and currently trying/using oversize grips is all cool... However we've [seemingly] collectively dug our toes in with regard using a long wand...

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site

Not that simple. The rules of golf do not define what a putter is, or what a driver is etc.

Im sure they could come up with a rule that would ban the long putter AND not have unintended consequences, but it wouldn’t be as simple as your proposal.

The rules also do not define what a fairway is.