Carry or trolley

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
i use both, depending on how i feel. i've dodgy knee's and a bad back so, of late its been the trolley, but last year i carried the whole winter

sunshine

Visit site
I carry all year, I prefer it.

Maybe if I'm playing 36 it's nice to have a trolley, but over 18 holes I don't really feel like carrying is significantly more effort. Obviously different if you are carrying injuries etc.

A simple question to those of you who say you enjoy carrying in winter, why don't you carry all year round?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site

Maybe if I'm playing 36 it's nice to have a trolley, but over 18 holes I don't really feel like carrying is significantly more effort. Obviously different if you are carrying injuries etc.

A simple question to those of you who say you enjoy carrying in winter, why don't you carry all year round?
shorter course and don't take a full set if carrying.

D

Deleted member 23344

It’s usually taken out of my hands ... my course doesn't drain well in some areas and so a trolley ban is often in place in the winter. I trolley if I can, but I often have to carry a half set during the winter.

D

Deleted member 25172

I've always carried until I won an electric trolley in one of our comps this year. Wouldn't think about using it in the winter though.

It gets really messy and takes to long to clean it afterwards, but the most important thing on this for me is that it causes unnecessary damage on the course in the winter season, which we'll pay for come spring.

Anyone who physically can should carry in the winter, even if trolleys aren't banned - imo.

If I could, I'd ban trolleys for everyone who doesn't have a medical certificate between november and until mid april or so.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted Member 1156

I'm carrying through the winter, mainly to try to increase my fitness as my course is quite undulating. As stated, wear waterproofs if needed to save a bit of weight. I take 3 or 4 balls and a full set of clubs, laser and towel. Job done.

azazel

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I normally go between carrying and a push trolley, tending to favour carrying in winter as I find it a bit quicker. However, I've got tendonitis in my shoulder at the moment - which thankfully doesn't actually affect my swing but can't bear any weight - so it's the trolley this winter.

hines57

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
carry in winter with a part set of clubs and just essentials in the bag. I usually stick with the trolley until the time it takes to clean it after a round gets to the point where it just doesn't make sense.:)

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
I used to carry, thinking it was a good form of exercise. Then I started using a trolley when playing in a comp but continued to carry when playing socially...

A couple of years ago I stopped carrying altogether and now avoid it where possible. Since doing this, my back and shoulders don't hurt after a round. I'm guessing my body is just weak, but I ache far less now compared to a few years ago.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It was Carry only on Sunday, 160 golfers out and green keepers remarked you could hardly see where they had been. Even went on to say ban buggies and trollies and we'd never have to shut ?

We used to ban trolleys back in the dark ages. There was an exception if you could produce a medial certificate to say you needed one but that was in the days that doctors did not charge for one. it ended up with nearly every senior having a certificate

We had a new course manager and general manager and they tried to bring in buggy bans but there was such an uproar from the members that they had to relent and worked out a buggy route which we have to follow. We still get some buggy bans but only when the course absolutely warrants it.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Neither on the 18 hole course as I use a buggy.

Either or on the 9 hole course depending on how many holes I am walking and how many clubs I want to take. I prefer to trolley as it less mucking around as my carry bag is so light it often gets blown over in the wind.

There was a time when I just carried a few clubs and no bag but got a ticking off because it meant I did not have a bag tag on display and visitors thought doing the same was OK (or sharing clubs).

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It’s the state of my ankles that makes me use a trolley. Otherwise I would carry.
I played 18 holes today and my knee is killing me.
I have walked a lot through lockdown with no problem.
So it might be the hills and terrain .
But my guess is carrying the extra weight of my bag affects my balance and hurts my knee.
Just a theory.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
I played 18 holes today and my knee is killing me.
I have walked a lot through lockdown with no problem.
So it might be the hills and terrain .
But my guess is carrying the extra weight of my bag affects my balance and hurts my knee.
Just a theory.

when I wasn’t falling over with me dodgy ankles last year, I quite enjoyed it. Walking 4-5 miles carrying the extra weight helped keep the weight down. But flippin eck I knew about it come evening time. The Major problem with carrying was when I Went over on my ankle the extra weight caused massive amounts of agony. It’s just not worth it. Gotta say towards the end of the rounds I was knackered.

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

usually the amount of water I take when it is hot in the summer. that’ll weigh a bag down pretty quickly!

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I will do whatever works best for the day. It doesn’t affect my score much and I enjoy both.

At the moment I only have a pencil bag and a cart bag so do either fully loaded or half set and a water bottle on a carabiner.

HampshireHog

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I suffer with shoulder problems so I minimise carrying now to when trollies are banned.

I always used to carry for social golf and cut down to 11 clubs, but I always would take the trolley and a full set for comps.

I’d always take the trolley if it rain was forecast I like having the umbrella mounted if I’m carrying I can’t be bothered faffing about with a brolly I just get wet.