Carly Booth and Scottish golf in general

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Following on from the Paige Spiranic and her sponsorship by Callaway thread. Carly Booth is another rather pretty girl with a large social media following, sponsored by Nike and Berenberg. Although she has won a couple of LET tournaments in the past, you generally find her results somewhere just above or below the cut line these days, despite which she is still being sponsored! In the latest LET tournament in China she finished in 37th place, which actually made her equal top Scot along with Kylie Walker. They were miles behind loads of Koreans, Chinese and other assorted orientals.

Now Scotland is supposed to be the home of golf and a National Sport up there, so I wonder why their ladies are so outclassed by the Koreans? :mmm:

Last edited:

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Following on from the Paige Spiranic and her sponsorship by Callaway thread. Carly Booth is another rather pretty girl with a large social media following, sponsored by Nike and Berenberg. Although she has won a couple of LET tournaments in the past, you generally find her results somewhere just above or below the cut line these days, despite which she is still being sponsored! In the latest LET tournament in China she finished in 37th place, which actually made her equal top Scot along with Kylie Walker. They were miles behind loads of Koreans, Chinese and other assorted orientals.

Now Scotland is supposed to be the home of golf and a National Sport up there, so I wonder why their ladies are so outclassed by the Koreans? :mmm:

not sure what Scotland has to do with it???? only one European in the top 10 and a couple in the top 20 iwith the womens game dominated by Korean Women, the rest of the world is way behind.

There is a young lady from my club playing on the LET and was 55 in this which is a an OK result for her. prize money and money in general is way behind in the womens game from the mens.

Plus i Imagine pound for pound what the SLGU/SGU have to spend on golf development compared to what SK pays... i imagine we are doing OK;)

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
And top English player 42nd, does that make England rubbish as well?
(Good 9th for Wales mind)

The best English players at the moment are Mel Reid, Charley Hull and Felicity Johnson. Mel Reid is currently suffering from a wrist injury and Charley is playing on the LPGA tour.

turkish

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Why are there proportionally more Far East women's players at the top of the game compared to the men's game? Is it simply a larger volume of females playing on this continent? I watched the LET event in China and have to say their swings are a swing of beauty.

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
If you want to know why the Koreans dominate women's golf then listen to the last podcast with Christina Kim here http://stateofthegame.libsyn.com/

I've never really taken to her to put it politely, but in the podcast she was actually very interesting and engaging. Worth a listen

And other podcasts are available. Especially the GM one. ;)

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I remember hearing on Sky, a chat between commentators, that the S Korean lady golfers have a phenomenal work ethic which has taken them to a level above the other golfers on tour. Maybe a little like the robotic female tennis players that Eastern Europe churns out, they are taken from a young age and drilled in golf. It doesn't make for a rounded person but it can produce a heck of a sportsman in a sport where repetitive practise tends to pay off.

SugarPenguin

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

Whoah :D

I think Scotland do pretty well. Its the home of golf yes but the population is nowhere as big as these other countries (Lydia Ko is sort of an exception).

Look at England. Created football and would be lucky to be placed among the worlds best 30 teams at the moment

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk

Good grief

stirry

Medal Winner
Visit site
it is the home of golf but it is not the national sport, like England the national sport is football, although we not very good at that either !!

Carly booth is just taking advantage of endorsements available to her, as a amateur she was excellent and great things were expected.

However like most young British sportsmen and sportswoman, they very rarely live up to the expectation.

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Whoah :D

I think Scotland do pretty well. Its the home of golf yes but the population is nowhere as big as these other countries (Lydia Ko is sort of an exception).

Look at England. Created football and would be lucky to be placed among the worlds best 30 teams at the moment

This is because Premier League teams seem to prefer to buy International players from other countries. Watching the last World Cup was a bit like watching Arsenal v Chelsea v Man City v Man United v Tottenham v Liverpool, but with the players shuffled around a bit! Leicester City seem to be doing pretty well with largely home grown players this year, probably because they play as a team, rather than a group of talented individuals who can hardly understand each other! :)

Last edited:

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
This is because Premier League teams seem to prefer to buy International players from other countries. Watching the last World Cup was a bit like watching Arsenal v Chelsea v Man City v Man United v Tottenham v Liverpool, but with the players shuffled around a bit! Leicester City seem to be doing pretty well with largely home grown players this year, probably because they play as a team, rather than a group of talented individuals who can hardly understand each other! :)

You are aware that we don't have an empire anymore - some the posts you've made here made you appear a tad like you wish the World map was still mainly red