Careful when you practice bunker shots

mrobbie

Club Champion
Visit site
I was at the practice ground last night and put in some serious time in the bunker - have a mate whos game is ruined if he gets in a bunker as he can't get out (bit of a Hamlet cigar moment), so decided to spend some time with him and give him some pointers.

The good news is that he can now get out of a bunker relatively easilly and his control was getting better too.

The bad news is that in the practice bunkers, I discovered there is only a thin layer of sand left in them, and below that a layer of small pieces of gravil. The face of my Vokey SM60 is scratched to f***! Happened once, then I vacated the bunker as soon as I saw it. Not a happy bunny.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
That's what wedges are for. Mine have definately had the newness worn off them. It is bound to happen, because there are always stones in bunkers, and also because you take big divots with wedges.

When I first had my new blades, the second time out I was playing out of the edge of the woods, and hit a brick buried in some leaves, took a massive (12mm x 5mm) chunk out of the bottom edge of the 7i. That was annoying, to say the least.

HTL

Tour Winner
Visit site
Annoying but it shows they are battle hardened. Much better than looking like a prat with all the gear no idea.

Plantie

Medal Winner
Visit site
Agree with both comments above... I bought some new oil can vokey wedges recently and they rust by design.... they look old and tatty after only 4 rounds!!

Having said that they do look the part and are excellent to play with! :)

mrobbie

Club Champion
Visit site
I'm cool with looking used etc (the 755 irons with no head covers can vouch for that!), was just p*ssed with the fact that I now have deep scores up the face/grooves of my wedge.

I was toying with the tour chrome finish and the oil can finish when I bought my wedges and opted for the chrome; I had seen a few oil can wedges on ebay etc that looked shocking (although were prob the mutts nuts to use!)