Cardiff Golf

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Looking for recommendations for courses local to Cardiff City Centre.

Ideally need to be able to get to course and back within 1hr or so.

Missus has a 4/5 hour meeting so can maybe stretch it to a 2hr total commute.

I know Porthcawl is maybe within that but I don't really wanna be rushing when I eventually get a round there sorted.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Porthcawl is about 30 mins from Cardiff on the motorway, you'd need to factor in city traffic as well which could easily be 1hr each way. Celtic Manor (3 courses) might be quicker to get to, Newport is supposed to be decent but not played it myself. Which part of the city is your wife's meeting?

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
I play at Newport, it's close to junctions 28 and 27... Celtic Manor is the wrong side of the tunnels for your timings! If the traffic gets smelly, it'll get smelly there!

Cardiff has some "nice old clubs" around the city... Radyr, Whitchurch and Cardiff CG itself. (get googling!) Take your pick! Be quick to get round too

If you want something a "bit different" Southendown is slightly nearer than Portcawl, but not as good, but much cheaper... a bit of a run from Cardiff if press for time.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
I play at Newport, it's close to junctions 28 and 27... Celtic Manor is the wrong side of the tunnels for your timings! If the traffic gets smelly, it'll get smelly there!

Cardiff has some "nice old clubs" around the city... Radyr, Whitchurch and Cardiff CG itself. (get googling!) Take your pick! Be quick to get round too

If you want something a "bit different" Southendown is slightly nearer than Portcawl, but not as good, but much cheaper... a bit of a run from Cardiff if press for time.

I had seen Radyr which looks nice, was mainly looking for recommendations I guess, as opposed to just a location idea as like you say, google with give me prximity details.

I’ll gave a look at Southendown 👍

Porthcawl is about 30 mins from Cardiff on the motorway, you'd need to factor in city traffic as well which could easily be 1hr each way. Celtic Manor (3 courses) might be quicker to get to, Newport is supposed to be decent but not played it myself. Which part of the city is your wife's meeting?

He meeting is at the Odeon, having just googled the location, it would appear it’s better to head west.

You could always forget the golf and spend the time shopping to buy Mrs Papas a present😇😱😜
Ssssh! I’m already accompanying her so she hasn’t gotta drive from Kent to wales then back via bmouth and Hastings. Reckon that’s a good enough treat 😂😂😂

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Play Porthcawl if within budget and blame bad traffic if late back..... we pass this way but once!
I'll be back to Wales to play it soon enough. If I'm playing solo I'd rather play a slighter lesser course tbh as much prefer enjoying a nice course with good company.

sunshine

Visit site
The Vale is pretty close to Cardiff, Wales National is a good test with some interesting holes . But I wouldn't play there til May at the earliest, I imagine it's a complete bog at the moment.

Matty6

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I’m a member at Radyr. Great course with very friendly staff and members. Let me know if you need any further information 👍

Matty6

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
How's the course atm mate? Typical welsh weather would make it a little wet this time of year would't it?

We generally hold up really well to a lot of rain. Greens are great all year round, but we had maintenance last week and another round this week. There are a couple of sections on some fairways that get quite wet but on the whole the fairways and greens drain well. Can be a bit boggy on some walkways between greens and tees.

Not sure when you’re in the area but this week probably wouldn’t be advisable. Due to the maintenance only 9 holes will be open at a time. Back to normal next week though 👍