Car park golfers

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
How should a member be defined if they are perceived not to use the club house? I appreciate the negative connotations some people apply but I personally don't care how you use you membership. You've paid for it, and it should be up to you, within the confines of the club's rules, how you use your membership.

Going off at a tangent, you sometimes hear committee members say if you're going to complain that much you should be on committee, and if you don't you should stop whinging. My view was always if you're not happy about something come and talk to me, just not mid-round.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
ive seen this posted on here before, what does that even mean ?

who could stop you, what reason would they not allow you to ?
they have a sniper on the roof and have permission to shot on sight if they see you change your shoes in the car park.. think WG and Muirfileld have a special lookout towers;)

Last edited:

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
As a club we do use email for a lot of things but not for everything.

The club email originating emails come from just one person who does not always post everything even when requested e.g last week we issued a new Local Rule which has only been posted on the Course Information and Competiton notice boards.

Some of the stuff we put on notice boards is just way too detailed for email as a source of distributing, e.g at the end of last year there was notice board specificly for all the 2019 Rules changes and all the changes to the local rules.

Even when we do email out I still hear lots of comments about never reading all of the club emails anyway.

Visit site
I usually get dropped off and often walk home

Pity as our Fiat panda would dovetail nicely amidst the Porsches, BMW-Xs, Lamborghini's, Ferraris, and Tesla's that usually reside in the car park on a weekend (I kid you not)
Luckily, I look as if one of them could belong to me ;)

RE the OP - each to there own - i use the clubhouse a bit as i usually have a warm-up then a break, then play - Other PPs often just turn up and play
Here the convention is that most people will have something with their PP's after a comp - often there is a buffet type feast available (as many comps have some type of sponsor)

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Agreed, best way to keep a secret at a golf club ? Put up a notice :ROFLMAO:
Yes

What does amaze me is that I deliberately put up the course information board right opposite the door to the mens changing room and immediately left of the ladies changing room so it is the first thing they see as they walk out towards the lounge, yet still lots of players do not read it..

One way we have of getting players to read the notices is we have clip frames directly above the men's urinals and on the inside of the doors in the WCs. We also have display frames distributed around the tables in the lounge.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
I do comms for a living.... if you get 50% reading an email you've done well. I've used A4 fliers in loos in some pretty big organisations to good effect.

The best way of getting folk to read club emails is to put something in the Subject Line like "New Motorway to cross back nine!" "Planning Permission for Sewage Works granted"

...then start the email with..... "We thought that would get your attention. Please note, entry for the summer knockouts closes on Sunday!"

You can only do that a few times though!

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
ive seen this posted on here before, what does that even mean ?

who could stop you, what reason would they not allow you to ?
I would say because a lot of people come straight off the course, bang their shoes together at the back of the car and leave a mess on the car park and, as seems to be the case in so many areas these days, once it hits the floor it ceases to be their problem. However, this debris builds up and makes the car park look scruffy and can produce slipping hazards, especially when it's icy. As a member you have a responsibility to the club and that includes not leaving the car park covered in grass and mud.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
How should a member be defined if they are perceived not to use the club house? I appreciate the negative connotations some people apply but I personally don't care how you use you membership. You've paid for it, and it should be up to you, within the confines of the club's rules, how you use your membership.

Going off at a tangent, you sometimes hear committee members say if you're going to complain that much you should be on committee, and if you don't you should stop whinging. My view was always if you're not happy about something come and talk to me, just not mid-round.

Absolutely fine if I accept that by exercising my choice I might be removing a little brick in the wall...and that were too many members to exercise their choice as I did then the wall might collapse - especially if that wall is not buttressed by a very benevolent benefactor or owner.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yes

What does amaze me is that I deliberately put up the course information board right opposite the door to the mens changing room and immediately left of the ladies changing room so it is the first thing they see as they walk out towards the lounge, yet still lots of players do not read it..

One way we have of getting players to read the notices is we have clip frames directly above the men's urinals and on the inside of the doors in the WCs. We also have display frames distributed around the tables in the lounge.
I suspect 95% of the members at my club do not use the changing rooms at all, where our noticeboard is put up. I'm one of them. I drive to the course in my spikeless golf shoes, enter comps in the hallway where the computer is located or just go straight to the 1st tee. After playing I change shoes in the car park and go straight to the bar, maybe toilet first. I like the idea of notice above the urinal, very smart thinking, but at our place the noticeboard in the changing rooms is ignored. This is emphasised even further in winter when large chunks of the membership do not play at all and so are not even at the club, never mind the changing room.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Absolutely fine if I accept that by exercising my choice I might be removing a little brick in the wall...and that were too many members to exercise their choice as I did then the wall might collapse.

But where do you stop when it comes to imposing beliefs or actions on others? Where in any club rule book does it say you must use the bar?

At a previous club, where I was a member for almost half of my life, the card system was introduced. At the end of the year the Treasurer printed off the bar card usage by member for a discussion at the finance committee meeting. There were less than a dozen car park members who were perceived to have gone on to use the bar more regularly after spending the then levy of £25. I can't remember what the total spend was of that group but it was dwarfed by the discount given to the 10 highest spenders. One member, who I often had a pint or two with, spent over £8k in the year - you can imagine his discount, closely followed by another who spent almost £7k.

I agree with Bachache's point that more people in the bar make for a better atmosphere, and that is definitely a win, but I'm not convinced that it works financially at every club, or even the majority.

To be fair, the club I'm using as an example has always had a vibrant, welcoming well run bar as Fish can attest to.