Car Insurance - slightly shocked, pleasantly surprised

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Car insurance due for renewal, just received the renewal email. Every year the renewal goes up £100+, even though I've had no claims in the last 25 years or more. I then have to commence the merry dance of finding a cheaper quote, calling the insurance company to argue the increase, eventually threatening to leave, being put through to their customer retention team, who eventually match the new quote so that they don't lose me as a customer.

This year it's different, the renewal has gone up a whopping £5. No need for me to do anything, quite happy to accept that.

D

Deleted Member 1156

It is still worth comparing though. If they have only increased by £5 then you may find other companies have reduced their premiums. Run all your details through Gocompare, the meerkats etc (I'm sure you know you will get different prices from the same companies on some of them)

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Premiums should have dropped as the roads have been empty for the last 2 weeks and will be for God knows how long!

We have gone from using 2 cars every day to making one trip a week to the supermarket.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I was surprised just how little difference NCD years made .. I know they have their limits of what they can build up however

I have 2 cars insured both with NCD .. 4 and 9 years .. if I swap them about I was expecting a big reduction on the newer bigger car

Nope a whole £50

(The new car is £300 a year more to insure than the old ones I will add)

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
A £5 jump is still a jump.

Always worth looking around, just phone them and say you have it £100 cheaper.
Mine recently was going to be £500, I phoned and said I found a quote for 360, immediately they matched it.

I remember once I got a quote £200 cheaper than my provider were offering at renewal

I told them this they said we can make the renewal £100 cheaper as loyality discount ...

Safe to say I left them

D

Deleted Member 1156

A £5 jump is still a jump.

Always worth looking around, just phone them and say you have it £100 cheaper.
Mine recently was going to be £500, I phoned and said I found a quote for 360, immediately they matched it.
Tell them you have a cheaper quote but don't tell them how much. My renewal came through a few years ago and I went online and found it for £80 less so I phoned my existing company. Told them I had a cheaper quote, they asked how much and I just said you need to reduce yours. They reduced it by £110.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
It is still worth comparing though. If they have only increased by £5 then you may find other companies have reduced their premiums. Run all your details through Gocompare, the meerkats etc (I'm sure you know you will get different prices from the same companies on some of them)

I do get that, and have :). There wasn't enough saving to make it worth changing anyway. In reality, I haven't had more than a £10 increase in 3 years now, I'm more than OK with that. It's a two car policy for less than £700.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
My renewal is the same as the OP, only went up by a few £.
Did the usual trawl round websites and nobody came up as cheap.
First time I can remember this happening, usually move or get existing insurer to drop their price.
£269 including premium to pay monthly for a 200ps hatch.

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
It always amazes me how much some folk pay for motor insurance these days, and posts like theses makes me appreciate how little I pay. Perhaps it's my age and location that helps.

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
Best when your renewal comes through and it’s gone up, so quick quotes on the comparison sites throws up a cheaper quote than the one your paying now with the same company! o_O

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I was also surprised by mine not going up on my Merc. Handy. I don't think i can get it any cheaper.

My Z4 started with no ncd, but they gave me the equivalent of full ncd as an introductory discount, which they have kept at renewal, twice.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It always amazes me how much some folk pay for motor insurance these days, and posts like theses makes me appreciate how little I pay. Perhaps it's my age and location that helps.

I think it's generational aswell. My generation I don't believe will ever have insurance as cheap as my parents generation (I'm 33 their 63)..

My insurance this year was 450 each car.. could have got for £400 each with a bigger excess but managed to have a £50 and £75 excess total .. thought meh that sounds reasonable

The new car the cheapest I found was £750 with a £250 excess

Bear in mind I paid £450 in January £50 excess .. changed the car online for April 2nd cost me £250 for the difference which was decent in my eyes as the figures above

On the flip side same car I just got rid of my mum paid for insurance for my aunt and uncle for the year on it

£250

I did tell them to do on politely lol

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
My insurance has stayed pretty steady since I reached max no claims. I shop around and switch if I can get a deal more than £15 better than my current.

I actually called up my current insurer and emailed them screenshots of new prices and they immediately cut £30 off the renewal price.

I did this all before I started cycling to work and then leaving the car barely used since! Stupid me had actually put annual mileage up as I was expecting to do lots of Uk based holidays! I think I must be way overpaying compared to the actual mileage I will do this year if I keep up cycling and lose a couple of months to lockdown.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Having worked in the industry for many years location makes a very big difference. Even a different post code within the same town these days affects the premium.