Insurance Companies

Britishshooting

Club Champion
Visit site
Has anyone ever had massive issues with insurance companies returning money (excess), and did seeking assistance from the Ombudsman help?

December 2017 a transit van hit the rear of my Land Rover Defender as I was sat in stationary traffic, mine looked fine but upon assessment needed a new rear x-member and a few other bits, the transit needed a whole front end.

This was all sorted and I got my Defender back after about a month however when the garage came to collect the car I had to pay my excess to them (not sure why) this excess was £1000 (Jan/Feb 2018).

I insured my defender a month after the incident and had to declare an ongoing claim, Fast forward a year and on my next insurance renewal (last month) my NCB has gone from 9 years to 0 with an at fault claim. Turns out as my insurance company never returned my excess to me that the fault appeared on file as unsettled and a claim was against my name.

This oversight cost me all in all about £800-900 in additional premiums as I had to take the hit on the previous renewal as the claim was ongoing during that period.

Probably spent 15 hours on hold, in conversations and e-mails trying to discover why this wasn't being settled as it was a clear cut case. Finally I got to a manager who advised that the 3rd party had accepted liability and case couldn't be closed as I had not cashed in a cheque (that i was never sent) to return my excess.

Fortunately upon advising my current insurer that my claim had been updated and my NCB re-imbursed they have returned part of my premium to account for the difference.

Still however not received my cheque to re-imburse my excess. I've now gone down the complaints route and demanded that this be paid by bank transfer and the guy seemed rather helpful, took my details and claims that the money will be in my bank this week.

They've failed at every hurdle, this claim which wasn't my fault has cost me so much of my time, effort and patience if the money isn't returned in full this week I will escalate it. I assume the ombudsman is the best way to go about this? I know it's only £1000 which is nothing to a large company but if they do this to thousands of claimants they certainly have plenty of money accumulating interest in their account.

For me this is mainly inconvenience and hassle however to some people the financial burden of paying excess and not seeing it back for 18 months plus could cause much bigger issues. Shouldn't be happening in this day in age.

D

Deleted member 18121

Maybe I'm missing something, but that's what an excess is - you're liable for X amount of the damages and then the insurance company pays the rest. Such a high excess is how they lure you in to reduce your premium....you think you're saving money, but in the event of a claim you're knackered.

IMO you're due nothing back.

Britishshooting

Club Champion
Visit site
Maybe I'm missing something, but that's what an excess is - you're liable for X amount of the damages and then the insurance company pays the rest. Such a high excess is how they lure you in to reduce your premium....you think you're saving money, but in the event of a claim you're knackered.

IMO you're due nothing back.

You only lose excess if you're at fault. I had to pay it initially as the claim was ongoing and unsettled. Once third party accepts liability they have to pay such costs. Your statement only applies if I was the at fault party claiming from my own insurance.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
As already said that is what an excess is.

Paying the repairer is standard practice.

I have always claimed off the third party as 'uninsured losses' who then forwards the claim to their insurer. It is then their insurer who has paid me.

Britishshooting

Club Champion
Visit site
As already said that is what an excess is.

Paying the repairer is standard practice.

I have always claimed off the third party as 'uninsured losses' who then forwards the claim to their insurer. It is then their insurer who has paid me.

Unfortunately as it was over Christmas I had to get my insurers legal team involved to get a hire car over the xmas period as the third party insurers would not have dealt with the claim in sufficient time. Not sure if it’s the norm but as a result they handled the return of excess which went to my insurer and they have since been in the process of forwarding that to me but never somehow achieved it.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
From what you are saying I assume you were covered for legal expenses as part of your insurance cover. This is normally 'farmed out' to a separate legal company who then take on the responsibility of pursuing a claim on your behalf.

My experience of such a company has been poor and I have always declined the offer of legal expenses cover as part of my policy.