Captains

Boabski

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
A captain in my opinion is supposed to be a decent player and a leader, well in football terms yes, So when i took up golf i thought that the club champion would be the captain of the club and the team, someone to lead by example, give good advice etc, you know what i mean.
it seems that this is not the case ,anyone know why it works this way where guys are voted as captain?
is it a golfing tradition or is it internal club politics?

ianmc

Club Champion
Visit site
captains only last one year in my club then someone else gets the honour.you would think he would need to be a good player i think ours is off 4 or 5 but i think in most cases its usually someone who has been a member for years.ian mc

Golfer2112

Assistant Pro
Visit site
A lot of work is involved in being a good captain. You have to know the right people and be prepared to spend a fair bit of time at the club.

clubchamp07

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I can't remember the last time we had a good Captain. I'm not talking good golfing captain's either. We've had some [****] guys, thinking because their captain's that they can walk on water. I think it depends on the colour of you'r tounge.
They need to spend alot of time at the club but that dosent mean they spend any money. Our captain this year will likely make money. They dont pay their year's fee, they get £500 on their card and then they get 50% of bar and meal bill's. That's about 2 grand for the year. Not bad.

But would you want to be a Captain?
I think there's to much club politics.

Doh

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I am due to become Captain at my club in 2009 the incoming Capt is chosen by the past four capt's and the current one i am sure it's different at each club.
And no i am not divorced nor spend most of my time in the bar.(yes it would make a good comedy sketch) :D our captains are usually chosen because they have made a significant contribution to the Club by representing, supporting it in some way.

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
At ALL my old/new golf clubs, the captain has been a mid-handicap player and most have either picked themselves for any teams or not depending on how they are playing at the time.
It's usual to choose a good member who has been active in all sorts of club ventures/events/social meets. I know for a fact that nearly all of the captains I have known have dug deep into their own pockets from time to time, so I haven't a bad word to say about the choices.
I'd rather a "common or garden" player with experience and a good attitude to picking/supporting teams and running good events (be they charity/dinners/games/days out) than just a top player.
Apparently, when one club did in fact choose the best player and course record holder (gross 63!!), the teams played poorly and the non-golf things went to the wall!!

Doh

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yes it's true you cannot rely upon the fact that the best player is the best person to represent the club. Our best player is ninteen years old is the county champion and has just found beer and women, :eek: :D i dont think he would have the time.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I have to agree. Most of our captains at Royal Ascot have been guys (and ladies) who have made a contribution either as a team player or as someone who has served on committees or helped move the club forward.

Personally I prefer to see this kind of dedication rewarded as opposed to giving it to the better players. Without the help and dedication of a band of guys who regularly give up their time to serve on committees and organise events most clubs would be in a very sorry state.

madandra

Money List Winner
Visit site
The only reason people joined our last committee was the annual free drinking session help at a plush course that was paid for by the minions. As for the captains ... it was passed down the line of 'camel coats' that hung after the owners every word !!!!!!!!!