Captain's Weekend at Hollins Hall

kaizmoto1489

Visit site
Hello.
In June, we have Captain's Weekend at Hollins Hall, north of Bradford. However, a handful of us want to go that way a day earlier and play a course on Friday.
Any recommendations for regional courses?
Thanks in advance !!!

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
You are spoilt for choice in that part of the world.

Literally next door is Bradford Golf Club.
The nearest are then.
Baildon, which is entirely different.
Northcliffe
Shipley
Bingley, St Ives
Otley

Not too far away are
Ilkley
Alwoodley
Moortown
Moor Allerton
Sand Moor
Leeds Golf Club
Pannal
Wetherby

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hello.
In June, we have Captain's Weekend at Hollins Hall, north of Bradford. However, a handful of us want to go that way a day earlier and play a course on Friday.
Any recommendations for regional courses?
Thanks in advance !!!

Spoilt for choice like all the replies have said so far. How much do you want to spend and where are you coming from?

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

The nearest are then.
Northcliffe
Shipley
Bingley, St Ives
Otley

Not too far away are
Ilkley
Alwoodley
Moortown
Moor Allerton
Sand Moor
Leeds Golf Club
Pannal
Wetherby

West Bradford is in great condition at the moment.

Headingley looks fantastic at the moment after hosting a pro tour event. So many great choices.

BiMGuy

Visit site

Headingley looks fantastic at the moment after hosting a pro tour event. So many great choices.

There are indeed. I really miss the depth in quality of golf available up there. I live in East Anglia now and due to the nature of the land golf courses are sparse. Places like Ely City, which is nice and considered one of the best in this area, would be bang average in the area being discussed.

To be honest I haven't played any of these courses for a long time. So some may have changed.
I was a member at Northcliffe until I moved down south 10 years ago. So I would be biased and say play there. For the 18th if nothing else.
There are so many very good courses up there, it's very difficult for any to stand out, and a lot comes down to personal preference.

Hollins Hall was a bit ropey last time I played it, but it was still relatively new, and I understand it has matured nicely and gets good reviews.

I have family who are still members at Northcliffe and at St Ives, and both are supposed to be in decent condition.

Somewhere like Baildon or even Hallifax Ogden will give the OP a completely different experience than most of the others. But the weather can be nasty.

Just boils down to the type of course the OP wants to play and his budget.

BiMGuy

Visit site

I don't like West Bradford. I once scored 17 on the 17th in a comp that I would have won even with a 10.

I still wake up in cold sweats having nightmares about the mound to the left front of the 17th tee.

The Fader

Visit site

The nearest are then.
Northcliffe
Shipley
Bingley, St Ives
Otley

Not too far away are
Ilkley
Alwoodley
Moortown
Moor Allerton
Sand Moor
Leeds Golf Club
Pannal
Wetherby

I don't like to call out clubs but I would avoid Bingley St. Ives at the moment. Played there in an open recently and some of their greens were in a very poor state.

Such a shame as it is a tremendous layout that I would normally wholeheartedly recommend.

Don't think you would be disappointed if you could get tee times at Bradford GC

BiMGuy

Visit site
I don't like to call out clubs but I would avoid Bingley St. Ives at the moment. Played there in an open recently and some of their greens were in a very poor state.

Such a shame as it is a tremendous layout that I would normally wholeheartedly recommend.

Don't think you would be disappointed if you could get tee times at Bradford GC
Bradford GC is one of my favourite courses. I was close to joining back in the day. Until I was forced to pick up my plate whilst eating dinner after a round, and move somewhere else. Outside as it happens.

Because the clock had ticked past 7pm and a jacket was required inside after 7pm. Not the sort of place I wanted to be a member.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Bradford GC is one of my favourite courses. I was close to joining back in the day. Until I was forced to pick up my plate whilst eating dinner after a round, and move somewhere else. Outside as it happens.

Because the clock had ticked past 7pm and a jacket was required inside after 7pm. Not the sort of place I wanted to be a member.
'Standards dear boy, standards ' ?