Captain Monty it appears

ace_in_the_pack

Medal Winner
Visit site
Looks like big Colin wants the captaincy in the 2010 Ryder Cup and the 2014 one as well, as it is in Scotland.

Think it might be a bit early for him though because he was still one of our standouts last time so in 2010 I think he could still be playing well enough to warrant a place.

Any thoughts on Monty as captain sooner rather than later?

Trueblue

Head Pro
Visit site
Think Monty should hold his horses - plenty of time for captaincy! Reckon Mrs Doubtfire got at least 2 Cups left in him.

Who else to captain though? Sandy "dodgy glassses Lyle is pretty keen... if not Woosie keeps offering....

Up_Point_1

Head Pro
Visit site
I agree, Monty still has loads to offer the Ryder Cup as a player. His Ryder Cup record is simply superb.

How about the mighty Seve ?? He certainly doesn't lack the passion, or the experience.

Any thoughts ??

MacMachattie

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I say: Monty to play in three more then go on to be Captain for the next five after that. Can you imagine a Ryder Cup without Monty? It doesn't bear thinking about.

swingstar1

Assistant Pro
Visit site
simmer down MacMachattie - Monty will of course go down as one of the great Ryder Cup players but that wont definetly make him a great Ryder Cup captiain...as I believe we are about to see with Nick Faldo

MacMachattie

Assistant Pro
Visit site
But that's because none of the players like Faldo. They seem to think Monty's OK. Apart from Gary Evans who thinks he's a cheat.

ace_in_the_pack

Medal Winner
Visit site
I reckon Monty will be a great captain one day but not now.

I agree with swingstar in that I am not sure Faldo will be a success although it seems it wont matter the way the US have been lately in the Ryder Cup.

MacMachattie

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I think Europe will have to be very careful next time out. I think there'll be a real danger of some resting on laurels. They have to get up for it, they need to be really motivated like at the K Club. Can Faldo get them into that frame of mind?

swingstar1

Assistant Pro
Visit site
not sure how motivating hearing the following would be...

"...Cripes and jeepers boys we need to hold firm today and match them shot for shot and while we're at it sorry for saying your swings were ropey while I was commentating for TV..."

Trueblue

Head Pro
Visit site
Then again do we think Woosie gave it the big guns speech at the K Club....think he the wee man may have struggled to inspire my granny's draughts team, definitely no Winston - although at least he does have a good grasp of the historical importance of the Ryder Cup...!

Severiano798488

Club Champion
Visit site
I agree with MacMachattie about complacency setting in

Azinger will have his boys really fired up and will be at his fist-pumping best and will probably stop at nothing to put the wind up the Europeans and fire up his team. He could be the revolutionary captain that they need - hope Sir Nick can match him.

golfdonkey

Assistant Pro
Visit site
What about Monty as player/captain. I think it's rubbish when people say you can't do both roles at once. Once you've picked the pairings there's nothing else to do as captain. Sure you can wander round with a walkie talkie "gee-ing" people up but that's about it.

B

birdieman

Why does anyone give a stuff? The Ryder Cup should be every 4 years, not 2. The same old hype evey 2 years is really tiresome. Golf is not a team sport, the majors are what makes a player not the Ryder Cup. Monty focuses on it cos he's not won anything of note. Why on earth I am supposed to back a Spaniard, German or a Swede above an American? I've got loads more in common with the American. The whole thing is a waste of time and gives average European players a reason to feel important because they won a doubles game or two. Real golf is managing a score for 4 days and handling the pressure by yourself to close the deal. Everyone knows Phil M couldn't be arsed and hadn't touched a club weeks prior to this silly Cup. Then we boast how we whipped the Yanks -big deal. Whomever decided to make GB&I into Europe made a huge mistake. They should've left it alone. Final question -what is Nicklaus's and Woods' Ryder Cup record? Answer no-one cares.