Can you spot a mistake or is it me??????

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
White, yellow and red all have Course and Slope rating for men. Red only has rating for women.
By the way the card has been set up, I would say that the SI on extreme right applies to Yellow and Red tees for men as well as Red for women.
If a man should use the SI on the left when playing from the yellows, then he would have to do so when playing from the reds as well, which seems wrong to me.
Yellow and red tees for men should use the SI on the right, unless the club has made a clear statement to the contrary.
I note that there is no separate par column for women. Course Rating for women is 3 under par.
For men playing from the reds, course rating is 6.8 under par!
If Robin has a Course Handicap of 14 (in order to have 13 strokes received for stableford) his gross 82 is playing pretty much to his handicap from the yellows.

full_throttle

Tour Winner
Visit site
Let's review the evidence...

The card is marked Sunday Roll-up. so the players are given a playing handicap, in this case 13, no 95% adjustment, so 13 strokes received.

How do I know all of this useless information.

The FISH has now joined the golf club I use

Hope this helps

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
You can not score stableford points, when playing with and against others, against anything other than the correct playing handicap for individual strokeplay which is 95% of course handicap.
Not applying the 95% is cheating if it disadvantages some (lower handicaps) and advantages others by allowing them to play off a falsely higher playing handicap for individual strokeplay.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
You can not score stableford points, when playing with and against others, against anything other than the correct playing handicap for individual strokeplay which is 95% of course handicap.
Not applying the 95% is cheating if it disadvantages some (lower handicaps) and advantages others by allowing them to play off a falsely higher playing handicap for individual strokeplay.

do you have to play off your official handicap in a roll up or can you be allocated a different one?

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
our club put on its opening page a photo of how to fill in a card. I had a look and I thought it was wrong. I contacted the club and pointed it out. Technically I was right but wrong. The card was marked at 95% for the comp so the players card had one shot less. But it had not been mentioned. Anyway I was talking to the comp Secretary and he said that the first comp after lockdown when cards had to be handed in.75% of the cards were filled in wrong. If they had DQd everyone they thought they would of had a riot. So they put the photo on the opening page. They put it down to people filling in cards for 2 people, filling in the IG app and new members not knowing how to fill in cards correctly.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
our club put on its opening page a photo of how to fill in a card. I had a look and I thought it was wrong. I contacted the club and pointed it out. Technically I was right but wrong. The card was marked at 95% for the comp so the players card had one shot less. But it had not been mentioned. Anyway I was talking to the comp Secretary and he said that the first comp after lockdown when cards had to be handed in.75% of the cards were filled in wrong. If they had DQd everyone they thought they would of had a riot. So they put the photo on the opening page. They put it down to people filling in cards for 2 people, filling in the IG app and new members not knowing how to fill in cards correctly.

rather than rightly realising that they havent correctly advised everyone what they require since the rules changed

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Come on Smiffy, put us out of our misery.

Sorry, thought I'd mentioned it above.....
It's all about the stroke indices shown on the card.
Very confusing, and I did say "spot the mistake, or is it me"
Rightly, (or wrongly), I assumed that the stroke indices shown on the right of the card related to the ladies tees.
I would have personally marked the card going off the indices shown on the left.
:unsure::unsure::unsure:

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
To me, there's simply a question to be answered - and anything posted is merely specultion until that happens.
The question is 'Which set of Stroke Indices should be used when playing off the Yellow Tees?'
Once that question is answered, then it willl be obvious whether the card has been filled out correct (wrt points) or not.
FWIW, it matters not a jot whether it has or not, as 'the system' will adjust anyway...it's only the gross scores that need to be accurate (well, not less than actual).
But the way the card is laid out certainly allows confusion...I can't remember ever seeing one where Men's SIs differ between Tee sets, let alone match Ladies ones, but that's what that card layout implies!

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Which course is it Smiffy?
As far as I remember, the S.I. is normally the same for the white and yellow tees, it's just the red tees that are different.
I could be wrong

Last edited:

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Which course is it Smiffy?
As far as I remember, the S.I. is normally the same for the white and yellow tees, it's just the red tees that are different.
I could be wrong

Don't know mate. It's a scorecard that the Fish posted up on Facebook after his Sunday round. I looked at it and the SI's confused me.
The only time I know the SI's are different between white and yellow tees is where on some courses, a par 4 off the yellows becomes a par 5 off the whites, and the SI might be different.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
rather than rightly realising that they havent correctly advised everyone what they require since the rules changed
I think hat was the frustrating thing for the club/comp Secretary. They had advised everyone Via an email. They had been proactive and ended up being reactive.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Sorry, thought I'd mentioned it above.....
It's all about the stroke indices shown on the card.
Very confusing, and I did say "spot the mistake, or is it me"
Rightly, (or wrongly), I assumed that the stroke indices shown on the right of the card related to the ladies tees.
I would have personally marked the card going off the indices shown on the left.
:unsure::unsure::unsure:
Someone else mentioned it before but I think the position of the columns is everything. If I look at my club's card, which I think is fairly standard, it goes: white yards - par - yellow yards - S.I. - all your score boxes - red yards - red par - red S.I.
Whereas on the card you posted the yellow yards is over on the right hand side next to the red yards, which is what says to me the marker was probably correct in using the right hand S.I.

I guess this isn't very common but it makes sense here, just look at the difference on some of the holes. 9th for example is 175 off whites (S.I.13) but only 139 off yellows which you would expect makes it a lot easier (hence S.I.17). The 8th has 50 yards difference as well.