Can you sort better groups than this?

Kennysarmy

Visit site
7 of us playing 3 rounds, I want the best mix of everyone playing with as many people as possible and with no one being in either the three or four ball for all rounds.

I've come up with this:

R1
A B C
D E F G

R2
A D E
B C F G

R3
C D F
A B E G

I'm sure there is a mathematical formulae to work this out - but I just used trial and error - if anyone can find a better solution please post :)

G is in the 4 ball every round :(

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
7 of us playing 3 rounds, I want the best mix of everyone playing with as many people as possible and with no one being in either the three or four ball for all rounds.

I've come up with this:

R1
A B C
D E F G

R2
A D E
B C F G

R3
C D F
A B E G

I'm sure there is a mathematical formulae to work this out - but I just used trial and error - if anyone can find a better solution please post :)

G is in the 4 ball every round :(

C F A - B E G D

D F E – C G B A

F G B – D C E A

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
You don't think one or more of your group might get a bit peeved having someone else decide who plays with who, unless of course you've been voted as 'man in charge of tee times and groups'?
And what happens if A doesn't want to play with B.......you get the blame.

Draw the names or throw up the balls, that way if A is drawn with B, god gets the blame (y)

Kennysarmy

Visit site
You don't think one or more of your group might get a bit peeved having someone else decide who plays with who, unless of course you've been voted as 'man in charge of tee times and groups'?
And what happens if A doesn't want to play with B.......you get the blame.

Draw the names or throw up the balls, that way if A is drawn with B, god gets the blame (y)

Yes, I've got responsibility to sort out the competition and the groups etc etc - everyone gets on so no issues with anyone not wanting to play with anyone haha

Kennysarmy

Visit site
Swap D & G over in round 2

I think.

Under my method:

A 3 3 4 not F
B 3 4 4 not D
C 3 4 3 not E
D 4 3 3 not B
E 4 3 4 not C
F 4 4 3 not A
G 4 4 4 everyone

Swapping D and G gives:

A 3 3 4 not D or F
B 3 4 4 everyone
C 3 4 3 not E or G
D 4 4 3 not A
E 4 3 4 not C
F 4 4 3 not A
G 4 3 4 not C

So I guess it's a question of do we want more playing with everyone at the detriment of one person always being in the 4-ball OR everyone gets at least one go in the 3-ball but the groups are n't as mixed up.

Unless there is another way haha