Can you return a car?

Farneyman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just wondering if anyone knows or can help. If you buy,6 days ago, a car and you notice a problem within a week can you return it. for example a rattling timming belt after its been runnng for a while and dodgey starter when it hasnt been started for a few days.

What are your rights in regards to retrning a car?

Yerman

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Very hard to take it back, you have to demonstrate that the problem renders the car to be "not of merchantable quality" especially if second hand, more productive to be nice and get them to put it right, or see a lawyer.

medwayjon

Tour Winner
www.snodhurstcarsales.co.uk
Ethan, totally wrong there, the goods cannot simply be rejected and the supplier must be given the opportunity to correct the problem.

Farneyman, PM me car details and description of the faults, also when you purchased it.

Can have a look at any potential re-call issues and known problems.

As for rattling T-Belt after running for a while, very peculiar but get in touch and can advise if required.

Herbie

Tour Winner
Visit site
It does depend how you bought it and how old it is and what agreement was made, but if it was dealer bought then yes you can. If what you have bought is not fit for purpose in some way.What makes it difficult is the certain heel dragging of most dealers who neither want the problem, nor want to fix it if they can get away with it(dealers on here may disagree, but I would expect that :D). It depends how determined you are, if there is a fault, take it back and demand its fixed up to standard required, if they dont, or refuse, sue them, simple. If its a new car its easier but second hand you will get told all sorts of rubbish. Go see a solicitor if you dont get immediate satisfaction, but you MUST give the vendor a chance to put it right. ;)

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have put it in a Fiat garage getting a health check so will find out tomorrow what the story is then take it from there.

Thought you said you bought a new CAR! :p

I had a very sound Fiat, that was the problem!
body was fine, absolutely NO rust,
engine was fine after 186,000 (a radiator and oil cooler),
tyres just didn't wear
but it developed a noise, and a vibration, tbh a dam good shaking that felt like a wheel was going to come off and which we could never trace.

oh and I hope you never need parts, with Fiat it is always 'they'll be in Tuesday'. (they just don't say which Tuesday)