Can you recommend a golf bag travel cover/ bag?

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Am off on a golfing jaunt abroad later in the year and looking for a good cost effective travel bag/ cover for my golf clubs. Preferably one that I can put everything in so that I'm only lugging the one piece of luggage. Thinking of taking stand bag instead of cart bag to save lbs if that makes any difference to the travel cover.

MC72

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Be careful to check your luggage allowance as some airlines have reduced the weight allowed for golf bags in the hold. I've previously had a 22.5kg allowance which was plenty to allow for a stand bag, shoes and golf wear etc. whenbjvtravelled

MC72

Assistant Pro
Visit site
...sorry iPhone keyslip. When I travelled last Sept the allowance had reduced to 15kg and I was on the limit.

In terms of travel bag I have a sun mountain one which cost around £49 but has plenty of padding where required but isn't ridiculously expensive.

Your other option,depending on where your going would be to hire clubs which works out around 35-60euros per week depending on where your going and the clubs you hire. Budget ones arrekson at 35euro, better ones are Taylor made at 45-60 euros again depending on which ones you hire.

If you want any more info let me know.

Cheers

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Flying with BA - golf clubs can go as my main piece of luggage as long as it doesn't exceed 23 Kgs in weight. looking for a cover that will take the bag and have room for some clothes.

CallawayKid

Q-School Graduate
www.regimentway.co.uk
I have this one:

http://www.srixon.co.uk/golf-accessories/Travel/

It's been around Europe and the US and is spot on. I can fit my clubs in a carry bag plus shoes and some clothes in there no problem. It also folds away fairly small when not in use.
I also picked up a protector in the US for about $20, here it is on Amazon http://www.amazon.co.uk/Club-Glove-Stiff-Arm-Protector/dp/B0015RZCZK

I will say that having worked on the airlines for a bit I would wrap an old towel around the heads to give that little more protection. Also, check the clubs as soon as you get them back at the airport for any damage as anything found after is really hard to claim for.

Hope it helps :)

CK

North Mimms

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've got a Sun Mountain club Glider

https://vimeo.com/75224297

Heavier than most so will require 23kg allowance, but we stick as much as possible in the bag right up to the limit then take a small wheely carry on case with more clothes.
We've even taken them on a train across The Rockies!

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Depends how valuable your clubs are and how often you travel. If the answer are fairly and fairly often, then I would go for a Club Glove. That is just about as good a cover as you can get, and will last many travels even with the attentions of airport baggage handlers. You can get them cheaper in the US and in different branded versions. I have used one for years mostly transatlantic travel, and never use a stiff arm. I pack a towel around the heads going out, and some laundry coming back. I think the rigid hard covers are actually less useful and don't offer any greater protection.

Crawfy

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I have a Woodworm one and it's done a couple of Belek trips with no hassle. I put a broom handle in as a protector as well as wrapping some cardboard around the club heads for extra protection.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
I have this one:

http://www.srixon.co.uk/golf-accessories/Travel/

It's been around Europe and the US and is spot on. I can fit my clubs in a carry bag plus shoes and some clothes in there no problem. It also folds away fairly small when not in use.

This is the one AG were pushing to me when I went in the other day, seems a relatively good option, and last years green version can be picked up reasonably cheaper elsewhere.

Hadn't really given much thought before this thread, but what do you golf travellers do for travel insurance on the clubs? Do you have goods away from home on your household policy, or take out specific insurance for the trip, or have one of the annual golf specific policies? Only started wondering after mention of club protectors etc. If my G15's get busted up/ nicked I can cope with that, but would hate to "lose" my Scotty putter....

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I certainly wouldn't be buying this one. I've had two( one being a warranty replacement) and both split in the same place after one flight. Shocking quality.

Handy to know, ive only seen it in the shop and thought it looked decent.

Sometimes you get what you pay for, I have an Ogio one which cost me £80 (i think)

hines57

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I use one of the light weight hard cases. It really does protect your gear. I used to use a soft case, but having seen the way they are thrown around at the airport - opted to upgrade to the hard case.

Topflite

Hacker
Visit site
Was about to pay £50 for a cover and then £60 for return carriage. Became uneasy reading some horror stories about broken drivers before realising that the company I was hiring the car from would hire me the latest clubs for c.£40 per week.
Save £50 and not have to worry about damaging my own clubs. No brainier for me.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Was about to pay £50 for a cover and then £60 for return carriage. Became uneasy reading some horror stories about broken drivers before realising that the company I was hiring the car from would hire me the latest clubs for c.£40 per week.
Save £50 and not have to worry about damaging my own clubs. No brainier for me.

That's a thought - just checked and can get a set of 13 Mizuno clubs for £35 or 13 Taylormade clubs for £42 instead of a cover for £70+ and additional insurance.