Can you avoid an inactive H/C with a N/R round

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
Ok,

So i'm sat at home, bored out of my tiny mind and I'm wondering about my handicap. So far this year I have returned 2 comp cards. Then I suffered an injury that could be healed in 2 weeks, but could also keep me out of action for another 6-12 months.

Now then, if I'm out till next year. Could I, in theory, enter a comp this year, tee off on the 1st, then return the card and NR. Would this card count as a 3rd card in a calender year and therefore help me avoid an inactive H/C?

Please note, I am not planning on doing this. I am fairly confident of being able to submit a card before the end of the season, and even if I can't, I'll just reactivate my handicap next year.

Thanks in advance for considering this theoretical question..

D

Deleted member 17920

I suppose that the round would have to count as you have hit at least one shot. I remember Robert Allenby having to hit a shot a few years ago with a broken Leg/Arm (cant remember) just to claim his cash from Volvo.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Note to Congu 25.1

There is discretion to maintain an Active handicap where ill health or injury precludes a player from returning the specified number of qualifying scores!

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I reckon you would fall foul of the first two paragraphs of Clause 8.

The UHS is based on the premise that a player will endeavour to make the best score he can at each hole in every qualifying round he plays and will report all such rounds for handicap purposes.

Any player who fails to carry out any of the responsibilities imposed by the UHS is not entitled to a
CONGU® Handicap.

In addition Dec.2(c) Status of Incomplete Cards and ‘No Returns’

(a) All cards must be returned in Qualifying Competitions, whether complete or not.

(b) It is expected that every player who enters an 8 hole Qualifying Competition intends to complete the round.

(c) Since an incomplete card and a ‘No Return’ may have the effect of increasing a player’s handicap, the club would be justified in refusing to accept a card or record a No Return when the player has walked in after playing only a few holes.

(d) Cards should not be issued to players when there is obviously insufficient light for them to complete the round.

(e) Sympathetic consideration should be given to players who have had to discontinue play for any cause considered to be reasonable by the organising Committee.

(f) Clauses 23 and 24 of the UHS give clubs the discretion to deal with players who persistently submit incomplete cards or make ‘No Returns’ if they consider they are attempting to “build a handicap”.

Last edited:

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
Cheers guys. Like I said, it's not something I would do, but it struck me that it might be possible to work around the system. :)

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Cheers guys. Like I said, it's not something I would do, but it struck me that it might be possible to work around the system. :)

A workaround is definitely not something that should be considered. It's a fiddle which is rather against the spirit of much about golf and handicaps!

Simply apply to the club for permission to maintain the Active Handicap for the duration of your injury. There would seem to be no problem getting that, as it's exactly what that Note is for!

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
A workaround is definitely not something that should be considered. It's a fiddle which is rather against the spirit of much about golf and handicaps!

Simply apply to the club for permission to maintain the Active Handicap for the duration of your injury. There would seem to be no problem getting that, as it's exactly what that Note is for!

Fully agree and is something I have already put in place should I be out for the season.