Can tees affect your shot?

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not sure about the type of tee affecting the shot but I think the angle of the tee can be important.

I always have the tee leaning to the left if I'm trying to hit a fade.

the angle of the tee makes no difference either.
are people for real!!!
I absolutely agree. I don't know about the physics but if I have the tee leaning away from me it definitely encourages an in to out path and I hit a draw. Too much lean and it's a hook :eek:

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
You would have to take in to account where the lorry hit you and what angle the paper was at during impact but I would suggest that there would be a difference. Paper weight and the microns of the stock would be important too!

While the impact speed, launch angle and direction would be a negligible difference the spin rate doesn't need a big increase to make a significant difference in shot dispersion.

What if it was a really thick sheet of paper, at a 45 degree angle. Surely that would deflect a small to medium sized lorry, maybe a 7.5 tonner ?

Swinger

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I absolutely agree. I don't know about the physics but if I have the tee leaning away from me it definitely encourages an in to out path and I hit a draw. Too much lean and it's a hook :eek:

Didn't think it was just me. I know a few guys up my local driving range who do the same when on the course.

This is how I hit all my draws.

Just gutted I can't tee it up in the rough when I need to put some bend on it.

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
Didn't think it was just me. I know a few guys up my local driving range who do the same when on the course.

This is how I hit all my draws.

Just gutted I can't tee it up in the rough when I need to put some bend on it.

If you press down with your foot behind the ball really hard it sort of tees it up :thup:

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
I reckon some strawboard at 2000 microns could send you out of harms way in certain impact conditions. Maybe thinner....
You sound like a man who knows hit paper from his ....different type of paper. Sounds convincing, therefore all the proof that I need !

Swinger

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If I wanted to make a golf tee out of paper, one that would mean I could shape it either way depending on the angle of the tee. What paper would you recommend?

Interesting question...

I would have thought something like a 400gsm pulp board would be the best bet. Not only would it offer a good stable base and grip to encourage the shaped shots but you should find these boards widely available and also in a nice range of colours. Literally the best fit for style, cost and the shot shape of your choosing.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Let me know how the lesson goes Rudebhoy

very good lesson. I demonstrated my wild slice beautifully. The pro then got me to change a few things on a trial and error basis. The one change that made a massive impact was changing my grip so that I could see 3 knuckles at address. With this closed grip, I then started hitting more of a draw. Hit a few crackers, duffed a few as well, but nothing went wide right like before.

Played 18 with a mate this afternoon, and got similar results, a few good ones and a few duffed ones, but only one lost ball, and that went low and left into the bushes, not high and right into the trees before.

He did say that if I did start hitting them low and left, to just dial it back a little and open the grip a fraction.

The new grip does feel strange, but I'm sure I'll get used to it.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Tee down promotes a more upright swing, which its easier to slice with. Higher tee promotes a flatter swing which promotes a draw.
This is the opposite of my experience. I used to tee my long irons around a 15mm off the ground but I kept slicing them, so now I push the tees all the way in for all irons and that sorted the problem out.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The reason it's easier to fade with a lower tee is that people sometimes instinctivly cut down on the ball as there is less room to sweep in under the ball when it's teed up way off the ground

Simbo

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Jeez, some of the stuff that must go on in people's head playing golf, I thought I'd seen it all on here, leaning the tee to hit a draw or a fade, Christ on a bike!!
So do you carry a wee spirit level to make sure the tee is just at the right angle?? How can someone directly attribute playing a fade shot because their tee leaned over another degree or so.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Jeez, some of the stuff that must go on in people's head playing golf, I thought I'd seen it all on here, leaning the tee to hit a draw or a fade, Christ on a bike!!
So do you carry a wee spirit level to make sure the tee is just at the right angle?? How can someone directly attribute playing a fade shot because their tee leaned over another degree or so.
The only thing I'd get from leaning the tee over is the ball falling off of it. :lol:

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site

i think its a wind up mate. no one can be that stupid

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Extensive research has proven that these new nano technology resin tees reduce friction by a coefficient of 0.0283 and that means an extra 7.2 yards per unit of smash factor squared. Pack of 10 tees are only £19.99.

Get yours online at uttercobblersgolf.co.uk - don't get left behind!

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Extensive research has proven that these new nano technology resin tees reduce friction by a coefficient of 0.0283 and that means an extra 7.2 yards per unit of smash factor squared. Pack of 10 tees are only £19.99.

Get yours online at uttercobblersgolf.co.uk - don't get left behind!

there is actually a golf shirt that claims to improve your distance by giving extra padding on the shoulder muscles to keep them warm and free