Can I see your handicap certificates please?

Hosel Fade

Tour Rookie
Visit site
only ever been asked at the old course and at some junior opens

Certain places (genuinely tough courses) should do this though. For example Sunningdale go and openly state the courses are not suited to novice golfers, didnt get checked though.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
I am not sure that requesting handicap certs would help the problem of speed merchants, with their superiority complex, harassing slower players, and expecting others to delay their rounds and let them jump the queue, either.
Plenty of unreasonably fast players in the ranks of the handicap holders.

D

Deleted member 15344

I am not sure that requesting handicap certs would help the problem of speed merchants, with their superiority complex, harassing slower players, and expecting others to delay their rounds and let them jump the queue, either.

By speed merchant do you mean people who would like to play at a reasonable pace , not have to wait on every shot , keep a nice rythym going , and go round the golf course at an acceptable time so that they whole day isn't spent on the golf course ?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
By speed merchant do you mean people who would like to play at a reasonable pace , not have to wait on every shot , keep a nice rythym going , and go round the golf course at an acceptable time so that they whole day isn't spent on the golf course ?

I suspect he means those who judge how much they've enjoyed their time at the course by making sure they are there as short a time as possible.
Occasionally, slow play isn't slow play it's just slower than fast play.
As long as groups get let through it shouldn't matter too much but it's a valid point.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site

Perhaps I am reading between the lines here, but I have the faintest suspicion that you are not a fan of calling a faster group through - as the etiquette section of the rules of golf suggest you should be doing.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site

As much as your post comes across a bit ranty, I do feel you have a valid point. There are some that feel anyone slower than them should be shot twice daily at dawn for the rest of the week.

I agree with Imurg, but don't tell him I did. It doesn't matter what speed you play at long as you let quicker players through.

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Maybe there is a reason they are the handicaps that they are?

Or maybe the slow good players would be better if they sped up and the quick bad players would be worse if they slowed down, who knows? They only thing that is certain is that speed of play is not related to handicap.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Perhaps I am reading between the lines here, but I have the faintest suspicion that you are not a fan of calling a faster group through - as the etiquette section of the rules of golf suggest you should be doing.

No need to read between the lines -

"Slow play could easily be made history by changing expectations. Declare slow play to be any 3 ball that takes longer than 5 hours, and any fourball that takes longer than 6 hours. No more slow play.

Time to bury this old slow play moan. Garden of Eden memories of a three ball trotting around in little over 2 hours are just myths.

People want to play 'slowly'. Or at least the vast majority do, and it is time for quick players to get down from their high horses and self proclaimed superiority view of themselves as better than those who play more slowly. I am sick of it."

As ever, the principle isn't the issue - everything is in the detail (in this case how long is too long)

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
No need to read between the lines -

"Slow play could easily be made history by changing expectations. Declare slow play to be any 3 ball that takes longer than 5 hours, and any fourball that takes longer than 6 hours. No more slow play.

Time to bury this old slow play moan. Garden of Eden memories of a three ball trotting around in little over 2 hours are just myths.

People want to play 'slowly'. Or at least the vast majority do, and it is time for quick players to get down from their high horses and self proclaimed superiority view of themselves as better than those who play more slowly. I am sick of it."

As ever, the principle isn't the issue - everything is in the detail (in this case how long is too long)

Slow play has nothing to do with the time it takes to play a round of golf, it is about whether or not you have to stand around waiting to play every shot. 3 hours is slow if you have to wait on every shot, likewise 5 hours would be OK if you kept moving.

Three

Tour Rookie
Visit site
My ex Mrs told me a couple of years ago that her and her friend, both very novice golfers, went for a weekend at a golf and spa resort in Surrey / BBO area somewhere.

Turns out they had played golf in a two - ball on a Saturday, they took 6 1/2 hours to get round.

" We let everybody through just like you taught me " she told me, " we had a great time, everyone was really friendly, we really enjoyed it ".

At first I cringed at the thought of how long they were on the course, but then I wondered what the problem was. They were having fun, they were watching out for groups behind and letting them through with a smile and a chat.

Any problems with that?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Having read this with interest, I totally agree that handicap certificate and slow play are not linked. Not only would it be a death knell for some clubs reliant on society bookings, usually with nomadic golfers unable to produce the requisite paperwork, but it bears no resemblance to what actually happens on the course. I'd rather people were educated in etiquette, especially repairing pitch marks (a real bug bear after a society has been out) but at the end of the day, there will always be those that won't follow etiquette, and certainly wouldn't consider letting people through.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Have to agree with the majority re irrelevance of handicap v pace.

Starter would be much better asking to see a pitch-mark repair tool & if its not in the pocket already before teeing of on 1st then not allowed to play

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site

Starter would be much better asking to see a pitch-mark repair tool & if its not in the pocket already before teeing of on 1st then not allowed to play

i've suggested this at my club, it never ceases to amaze me the amount of guys you play with in opens who don't have a pitch mark repairer with them

D

Deleted member 15344

My friend uses a tee to repair pitchmarks as do a lot of the pros - so would they not be allowed to play

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
My friend uses a tee to repair pitchmarks as do a lot of the pros - so would they not be allowed to play

Don't want to assume your serious! Naturally your friend is fine to carry on using a tee. (I think it would be taking it too far to stipulate things like design/brand/cost/source/fitting session etc of the exact tool to be used ;))

We all know that a tee can easily be used as a tool to repair pitch marks, whether the player wielding it is skilled or not is another matter