Can hitting the ball to hard cause a slice?

Parmo

Tour Winner
www.roundhaygc.com
If my memory serves correct I dont slice when I just take it easy as I just put it down to something else in my swing, I will try it this weekend at the range and slow down my swing and see what happens, maybe a great straight 65 yrd drive.

par_par_par_treble

Assistant Pro
Visit site
i find that if i swing too quickly, i cast the club out then swipe across the ball.

i try to concentrate on starting the downswing on the same plane as the backswing before accelerating too much, then go for it

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
If you try and kill it, your timing gets all out, and yes, the face is liable to be open through impact = slice!!

I don't slice very often, but it I need one deliberately, you'll see me swinging pretty hard.....this is my strategy anyway, because the slice loses distance too. Last serious one I hit was round a dog-leg, pulverised my driver, sliced it (ooh, 35 yards) and only found myself 210? down the fairway.

Dave

ianmc

Club Champion
Visit site
you can hit the ball as hard as you like as long as your techniques solid and correct just look at tiger!

madandra

Money List Winner
Visit site
I may be a million miles away here but when I try and knock the letters of my ball I find my hands are ahead of the club head and that in turn causes it to strike across the ball inducing a left to right spin on the ball. I have been known to talk pi5h before and this may well be my latest installment but I think I am right.

muttleee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
The upshot of all these posts is that hitting the ball hard in itself will not cause a slice but in attempting to hit it hard, you're more likely to introduce flaws in your swing that might make you slice the ball. A powerful swing on the right plane will still hit a draw or whatever.

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
you can hit the ball as hard as you like as long as your technique's solid and correct just look at tiger!

Really?.....that's why Tiger always swings within himself unless there is a reward on offer for giving it the full beans. I think that DL, Butch, Hank (Haney) and almost every pro in the land would disagree with you.

Sorry, but it's gotta be said.

Dave

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
The upshot of all these posts is that hitting the ball hard in itself will not cause a slice but in attempting to hit it hard, you're more likely to introduce flaws in your swing that might make you slice the ball.

Well put....tempo is everything, try too hard and disaster is nearly always waiting in the wings.

Dave

Dave3498

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
What's the flex of your shaft Parmo? very flexible shafts, as ladies use, will produce a straight to drawing flightpath to suit a slower swing. If you have a really flexible shaft and you really put some speed into it, it will slice or fade.

Lloydy84

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I find that when i swing too slowly, i hit a big hook. when i try to nail one, it will slice. This may be total bu***t
but my theory is, swinging too fast gives your upper body not enough time to catch up with your lower body,

swinging slower gives you more time to square the clubhead at impact. P.S this information is not to be trusted, it's just how it felt to me when i struggled with a slice.

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
I find that when i swing too slowly, i hit a big hook. when i try to nail one, it will slice. This may be total bu***t
but my theory is, swinging too fast gives your upper body not enough time to catch up with your lower body,

swinging slower gives you more time to square the clubhead at impact. P.S this information is not to be trusted, it's just how it felt to me when i struggled with a slice.

I think you are spot on. I agree! Especially trying to draw it....if I don't accelerate properly, it's always the same result, starts straight (instead of right) and turns over wickedly at the end.

Dave

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
<u>Swinging</u> too hard can cause a slice!
I was prone to huge slices whenever I attempted to give it some welly, one recently started to come back at me!
I thought it was because I was out hitting my driver, thinking I was swinging too fast for an R shaft. So I got measured - average speed mid 80's (max 96) so an R is right.
What was wrong was the shaft torque, way way too much - so much so that the optimum speed for the shaft was 75! Any faster and the head was still open at impact. Fine when I was feeling my way but not now. So I now have a taylormade draw bias r7 460 - R shaft - absolutely b****y marvellous! consistently straighter, gained lots of yards and knocking the panels out of the back of the range. Can't wait to get it on the course.

Parmo

Tour Winner
www.roundhaygc.com
What's the flex of your shaft Parmo? very flexible shafts, as ladies use, will produce a straight to drawing flightpath to suit a slower swing. If you have a really flexible shaft and you really put some speed into it, it will slice or fade.

I have a graf reg flex

Dave3498

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I have a graf reg flex

Shouldn't be a problem as I described. You probably get all your timing wrong whem you swing too fast, especially starting the swing from the top before the lower body is in the correct position.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
dave

I don't dispute for one moment what you say, but Parmo check the torque of your shaft.
Grip the handle and head, then twist in opposite directions. If you get any appreciable movement you've got too much torque. Mine (Ben Sayers MX7), I could twist 30 - 40 degrees; the max recommended for a ladies/seniors is 4.5!

ianmc

Club Champion
Visit site
dave it sounds as though you should turn pro, talk about talking off scratch!what i was saying was true if your techniques good you can hit the ball hard but youve got to hit through the ball not at it. i always give the ball a good thump and its never did me any harm. ianmc