Callaway Rogue Fairways......

Macster

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've always been less than reliable with a Driver in my hands, ...no, make that pathetic/hugely wayward.......and have tried for far too many years to solve the issues, in vain, so in prep for this season and in an effort to find more fairways, I added 2 new Rogue Sub Zero Fairways to my bag last week. A 13.5* 3+W, and a standard 5W @ 18*, both with ProjectX Even Flow Stiff shafts.

Quick try in the studio at AG showed the Sub Zero to be best performer for me, and best strikes rolling out to 245+ yards, which I never know how well to believe, but on that basis, the decision was made.

Fast forward to today, first reasonable day for weeks, and amazingly the Course was open, so popped out for some testing. Despite my clear rustiness after a long frustrating winter, very pleased with these, they are powerful clubs.
The 3+ is very promising, and I think it could well be my saviour, as even today being 6/7*, with little roll out on the fairways, the best strikes measured out at 235/241yds, which I'm surely thinking could be good for another 15/20 come the summer.

The 5W is a belter too, flew high and long off the face, very powerful.

I'm suddenly urging Spring to show its face :)

C&R

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I've always been less than reliable with a Driver in my hands, ...no, make that pathetic/hugely wayward.......and have tried for far too many years to solve the issues, in vain, so in prep for this season and in an effort to find more fairways, I added 2 new Rogue Sub Zero Fairways to my bag last week. A 13.5* 3+W, and a standard 5W @ 18*, both with ProjectX Even Flow Stiff shafts.j

Quick try in the studio at AG showed the Sub Zero to be best performer for me, and best strikes rolling out to 245+ yards, which I never know how well to believe, but on that basis, the decision was made.

Fast forward to today, first reasonable day for weeks, and amazingly the Course was open, so popped out for some testing. Despite my clear rustiness after a long frustrating winter, very pleased with these, they are powerful clubs.
The 3+ is very promising, and I think it could well be my saviour, as even today being 6/7*, with little roll out on the fairways, the best strikes measured out at 235/241yds, which I'm surely thinking could be good for another 15/20 come the summer.

I'm going this route as well. I'm far to inconsistent with a driver. Puts me in trouble way too much. Getting fitted by titleist next month

Macster

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm going this route as well. I'm far to inconsistent with a driver. Puts me in trouble way too much. Getting fitted by titleist next month

Strange isnt it, and we are not alone,.....I have friends who play off way higher handicaps than I, but who can hit their drivers far better than me :mad:
That said, my 5W is up with their Drives, and if you put a 5iron in their hand......:D

I occasionally flush my old G5 Driver, and it is very satisfying when it happens, but in equal measures, its a massive fade into the trees, and a Bogey or worse is certain.
More fairways = hopefully more greens, or at worse more chances of pars........

Its all about percentages I guess.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've always been less than reliable with a Driver in my hands, ...no, make that pathetic/hugely wayward.......and have tried for far too many years to solve the issues, in vain, so in prep for this season and in an effort to find more fairways, I added 2 new Rogue Sub Zero Fairways to my bag last week. A 13.5* 3+W, and a standard 5W @ 18*, both with ProjectX Even Flow Stiff shafts.

Most low caps don’t hit it that far with their driver never mind 3 wood , if them yardage’s are correct? You don’t need a driver.

User2021

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Just swapped my Ping Driver and fairways to Callaway.

I am awful off the tee with a driver, got fitted in to a Rogue sub zero and finally getting some confidence

Got a standard rogue in a 5 wood and love that also

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Dont get me wrong, I am going SZ 3w and 5w, but I find it amazing how many who can't hit a driver are going SZ. These are not easy clubs to hit. Surely you would be better going standard?

User2021

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Dont get me wrong, I am going SZ 3w and 5w, but I find it amazing how many who can't hit a driver are going SZ. These are not easy clubs to hit. Surely you would be better going standard?

Every man and his dog said that to me before my fitting.

But for me the SZ with the weights swapped over was by far the better performing of the two Rogues and also same fit tried M3 and M4.

Macster

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Most low caps don’t hit it that far with their driver never mind 3 wood , if them yardage’s are correct? You don’t need a driver.

Totally honest, no willy waving here. I hit a few balls off the tee, and some weren't as sweet, or straight, as i've played very little this winter to be honest. But the ones I did flush and straight, were measured on my Garmin watch, so totally accurate.

I'd love to be able to flush a Driver out there 270yds or more, and sometimes I do, but more often than not, I'm surrounded by trees after !

Something about a smaller head, and more importantly, the weighting, its just that in a 3 wood, I can feel the head throughout the swing. I just never feel that with a Driver, and end up swinging too hard or badly timed, or both, I dunno....

If I can find form with this Rogue, and can consistently put it on the fairway at 230/240yds, or maybe more in summer, I'll take my chances against anyone with an iron or hybrid in hand to some of our longer Par4's. Off the White's, we have some beast Par4's.......451yds, 457, 440, & 469.......

As far as distances, mine are ..err.......
4i - 180-190yds.
23* Hybrid - 190-210.
5W 215 - 225
3w 230 -240

Perhaps with these Rogues, the above may be revised ! Not dialled in yet........

Last edited:

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Totally honest, no willy waving here. I hit a few balls off the tee, and some weren't as sweet, or straight, as i've played very little this winter to be honest. But the ones I did flush and straight, were measured on my Garmin watch, so totally accurate.

I'd love to be able to flush a Driver out there 270yds or more, and sometimes I do, but more often than not, I'm surrounded by trees after !

Something about a smaller head, and more importantly, the weighting, its just that in a 3 wood, I can feel the head throughout the swing. I just never feel that with a Driver, and end up swinging too hard or badly timed, or both, I dunno....

If I can find form with this Rogue, and can consistently put it on the fairway at 230/240yds, or maybe more in summer, I'll take my chances against anyone with an iron or hybrid in hand to some of our longer Par4's. Off the White's, we have some beast Par4's.......451yds, 457, 440, & 469.......

As far as distances, mine are ..err.......
4i - 180-190yds.
23* Hybrid - 190-210.
5W 215 - 225
3w 230 -240

Perhaps with these Rogues, the above may be revised ! Not dialled in yet........
Not disputing your numbers at all.

The thing between drivers and 3wood is I have seen players with 3 wood hit it better than a driver ( Stenson) and he’s not bad.
Biggest difference for me is 3 wood usually have heavier shafts this can slow you down enough to time your swing better, just a thought.

Have you ever tried a heavier shaft in a driver?.

Macster

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Good point tbh, and yes, these Rogues have 75g shafts, perhaps thats the reason.

I did pick up an M2 Driver last summer, but it felt so light it was ridiculous, and then realised the shaft was a Standard 55g, was crazy light so I moved that on.

Ps - dont forget this 3W+ I have is 13.5 degrees, so a 2W in reality......

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I am due a fairway update, was looking at the Rogue std 3w.
Always preferred a 3 wood only used a driver for a par 5.
Just have not hit any golf balls for ages!!

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Good point tbh, and yes, these Rogues have 75g shafts, perhaps thats the reason.

I did pick up an M2 Driver last summer, but it felt so light it was ridiculous, and then realised the shaft was a Standard 55g, was crazy light so I moved that on.

Ps - dont forget this 3W+ I have is 13.5 degrees, so a 2W in reality......
I had a 55g shaft in my Epic driver but hit it better with an 80g .
I find 3 wood is a great club and am getting tempted to try a Rougue.

Macster

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
harpo: Try them all, American Golf did a good job for me, swapping and trying the Std & SubZero, and different shafts etc, and the SZ/Stiff was clear winner for me, even in a fairly brief fitting/test.

Its a compromise for me, finding position off the tee with a reasonable distance, leaving a clear shot to the greens, albeit perhaps with a Rescue or 5W on the longer holes, no point being in 6i distance if you're in the damn trees anyway.
We only have 1 Par5, at 529yds, so I arent gonna be hitting that in 2 anytime soon, but maybe this 3+, and then 5W, can get me close enough for more chances of getting a 5, or safe 5.
Time will tell, but lovely clubs.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
What loft is your driver?

You are by no mean alone, but I find it funny that people are far more accurate with a 13* 3 wood over a 11* driver. The difference in loft is pretty minimal, so is the difference in the shaft as you have alluded to, either weight or length. Or is there something psychological, I've known decent players swing so much harder when they have the driver out which causes problems compared to when they have their 3 wood in their hands

Macster

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
What loft is your driver?

You are by no mean alone, but I find it funny that people are far more accurate with a 13* 3 wood over a 11* driver. The difference in loft is pretty minimal, so is the difference in the shaft as you have alluded to, either weight or length. Or is there something psychological, I've known decent players swing so much harder when they have the driver out which causes problems compared to when they have their 3 wood in their hands

Mr Driver/s have been 10.5*.

I did say: Something about a smaller head, and more importantly, the weighting, its just that in a 3 wood, I can feel the head throughout the swing. I just never feel that with a Driver, and end up swinging too hard or badly timed, or both, I dunno....

But all in all, after nearly 30years playing, I have finally admitted to myself that it isnt going to get better at my age, and if I'm to keep my Handicap where it is for a while yet, I need to find fairways.....

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
Mr Driver/s have been 10.5*.

I did say: Something about a smaller head, and more importantly, the weighting, its just that in a 3 wood, I can feel the head throughout the swing. I just never feel that with a Driver, and end up swinging too hard or badly timed, or both, I dunno....

But all in all, after nearly 30years playing, I have finally admitted to myself that it isnt going to get better at my age, and if I'm to keep my Handicap where it is for a while yet, I need to find fairways.....

Oh yes you did, sorry. It was not meant as a criticism as so many players are the same. I am equally bad with the driver as I am with the 3 wood, or sometimes worse, I have no idea why. My 3 wood is pretty old though so maybe an update would be best for me.

Good luck with the season though, getting it on the fairway and a decent distance is half the battle

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
Just for fun after reading this thread I took the demo rogue three wood out today.

Even with the wrong shaft that thing is not a bad club, no terrible hits, and some absolute stonkers. Hit one 260-270 with no roll.

Very tempted

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Picked up my Rogue sz 5w yesterday. I have not hit it yet, but the shaft length is very similar to the 3w. Odd. Looks nice though.

Macster

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Glad its worked for you too rOwly, I played yesterday in lovely conditions, very still but course soft and no roll really.
Have to say, it was perhaps my best day 'off the tee' that I can recall for years, with these Rogue SZ's.

I literally hit one bad tee shot, where I topped it, but the others were wayyyy beyond my norm. I hit fairways all day long with this 3+W, was nearly always past my playing partner's Drive, an he's not a bad driver...
Only measured one of them....which was 251yds. I reckon in the summer that could equate to 260+yds.......which is as much as I could ever hope for with any Driver these days, even if I did flush it !

The 5W was fab too, really powerful.

On this performance, at this stage of the year and after a winter of relatively little and sporadic golf, these could be my best purchase for years and years.
Dropped 8 shots gross, which included a Triple after a horror lie in the Bunker, and that was after a perfect Tee shot anyway.....

Bring the season on !

Last edited: