Callaway Epic problem - where to go from here??

mashleyR7

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Back in March I purchased an Callaway Epic from Silvermere/Left Handed Golf. Great service as always through the two fitting sessions and sale.

Fast forward to a few weeks and month and I start to notice the carbon fibre plate in the centre of the sole has started to crack. Then on one of the facebook golf groups a picture pops up of someone else with the same issue as mine, then one more the more until about 4/5 people all posted pictures of the same issue.

SM / LHG agreed to swap the heads over when I popped on my way to the New Zealand, so all good, happy customer with a brand new driver after 5 months use. So now my new driver is 3 rounds old, it must have just 30 balls on the course, zero range sessions.

Today, on the 2nd hole I hit a driver, nice clean strike, straight down the middle, look at the bottom of the club and bang, split started in the exact same place and this time its got a tiny piece of my pink castle tee stuck in it so I've figured that it's cracking a little each time a tee impacts through the area. Having had one swapped already I have no question it'll get replaced but do I stick with the Epic and except it, or go back to look for something else?

Trouble is I love the club, Im so happy with it and hit it lovely. :confused:
Pictures attached.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-08-18 at 21.28.54.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-08-18 at 21.28.54.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 144
  • Screen Shot 2017-08-18 at 21.28.47.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-08-18 at 21.28.47.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 165

mashleyR7

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've not got picture of the previous club to hand to show but the cracking was the full width of the carbon centre section and all the way down the panel past the C towards the face.

I'm gutted really.

D

Deleted member 1740

I'd be looking at another manufacturer or get a refund and go back to your old driver?

mashleyR7

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yeah I get that, i've no doubt they'll replace again their customers service so far has been top notch.

My question is do I stick with a cub that clearly has a defect, that as yet hasn't effected performance, but what if it gets so bad that carbon is all gone in 18 months? or do I look for a new driver? Or speak to Callaway and ask if they know its an issue?

mashleyR7

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
That would feel like a step backwards for me. Having always bought last years model and kept them for 3/4 years I'm sold on this new tech and the performance it brings.

Someone else must have an epic on here, any issues?

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
3rd time lucky maybe? give them one more try

whilst there are a few reports of problems theyre not that widespread are they?

and if that doesnt work full refund and a new fitting imo

Face breaker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
For what you paid for it I'd want it replaced, and judging by your experience so far I'd want it replaced with "something else altogether" a friend of mine got fitted for and bought an 'Epic' driver/3-wood combo and got rid of them both after about a 'fortnight' maybe 3 weeks, SERIOUSLY overrated and over-priced in his opinion, he'll be glad to hear that it seems like he's had a narrow escape...

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
If it was me;

1) Get it replaced.
2) Ask for the warranty to start from the date of replacement - what you don't want is for you to get another replacement 11 months 3 weeks into ownership and, if it happens again, and for them to say "sorry now out of the 12mth warranty period."
3) Open a dialogue with Callaway and ask them what their plans are to engineer out the obvious defect by bringing out another model. And can yours be replaced with one that won't crack.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I'd have to be looking at a new club. Bare in mind this club has been out to buy almost 8 months, and been on tour for almost a year..... there has to be a new one due by end of October.

I'd ask callaway to issue a credit note to be used against the even more epic 2 :thup:

BTatHome

Tour Winner
Visit site
I very much doubt Callaway would admit to a defect of any kind, that would be the death knell for the model if they did that ... Every customer would want their money back, and/or replacement.

Not to say that they won't wort out any issues wth it but admission of faults/defects is not going to happen.

If your lucky they may issue a sweetener, and if your very lucky it might break again when the new version comes out and you may end up with the new model (which would usually fix the issues of the old model)

Last edited:

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Haven't they already acknowledged a manufacturing fault by exchanging the first one and accepting that others have been exchanged for the same reason?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I'd have to be looking at a new club. Bare in mind this club has been out to buy almost 8 months, and been on tour for almost a year..... there has to be a new one due by end of October.

I'd ask callaway to issue a credit note to be used against the even more epic 2 :thup:

If they're true to their word, the shouldn't be an Epic2 for another year.
Callaway are gently moving to 2 year cycles. They may have product coming out regularly but it will be replacing a 2 year old model.
Next up for replacement will be the XR16...

With the number of Epics out there, I'd expect to have heard of a lot more returns if there was a specific flaw in the design or build..
You get "Friday Afternoon" golf clubs, just as you get the same in cars, fridges, TVs etc etc... As long as the Customer Service is there and replacements are supplied I'd have no issue.

To have 2 go is unlucky but I'd put it more down to you swinging it the wrong way round..😜😝