Callaway CXR Control/Titliest Trusoft - any good?

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Picked up a dozen yesterday from SD as I had a voucher to use, wanted the chrome soft but they didn't have then in stock. They had the usual Pro v1, Velocity, AD333, Soft feels which I've a mixed of in my bag currently but fancied a change.

Saw that these are a 3 piece so bought them - got home and read some reviews!! Not the best reviews that I could find, just wondered if anyone plays them or has played them?

Also saw some Titliest DT Trusoft - any opinions on them? May exchange them for them or just get a dozen AD's or Velocity.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Played with the CXR control and it was a forgettable ball. Much prefer the ad333.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Anything in the CXR range is, to put it mildly............crap
Well, that's maybe a little unfair because it depends on what you want.
CXR control isn't the worst ball on the market, it's not particularly soft or spinny but it's cheap and does a job
CXR is almost like a "made for" brand

njrose51

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Okay, so a few observations from me playing with my balls!

(1) If I use a Pro V1, I put myself under a bit of pressure as I think - "This is the best ball, will go further if I hit it right etc" so I normally end up hitting it badly and loosing it. I tend to play better if I use what I think is a lesser quality ball - CRX, Srixon.

(2) Would I really feel the benefit of having a ball fitting whether to help with driving, iron, wedge or putting play?

(3) Can we, the higher handicapper, less frequent player, really feel the difference between a top quality ball that costs say £35 per dozen against a lesser quality ball that costs say £19.99 per dozen? I know I would feel the difference in my wallet!

Big_G

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Personally I love the CXR Control, quite a low spin ball, which helps with my driving, not too firm, great value for a 3-piece ball :thup:

snell

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've been using the CXR Power a bit this year....most will turn there noses up at it and pretend they can tell the difference between balls tho.

I like it personally, if you hit a good shot it goes well, equally if you hit a bad shot it doesn't go so well. Feels ok off the putter, and I can't spin the ball back so checking the ball on the greens doesn't really bother me

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
I've been using the CXR Power a bit this year....most will turn there noses up at it and pretend they can tell the difference between balls tho.

I like it personally, if you hit a good shot it goes well, equally if you hit a bad shot it doesn't go so well. Feels ok off the putter, and I can't spin the ball back so checking the ball on the greens doesn't really bother me

The odd thing is that the CXR control, I could not get on, the CXR power was my ball of choice through the winter months. It went well off the driver, played well in the wind and held greens quite well as not as much spin was required to hold the greens. Probably very similar to a Titliest distance.

Started playing with Z star last few weeks and it does go well, but the ball checking on the greens ( which it is designed to do) does take some getting used to. Using them because they were free when I subscribed to golf monthly last year.

snell

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The odd thing is that the CXR control, I could not get on, the CXR power was my ball of choice through the winter months. It went well off the driver, played well in the wind and held greens quite well as not as much spin was required to hold the greens. Probably very similar to a Titliest distance.

Started playing with Z star last few weeks and it does go well, but the ball checking on the greens ( which it is designed to do) does take some getting used to. Using them because they were free when I subscribed to golf monthly last year.

Funnily enough I only started using cxr power because they were a leaving gift from my old office.

Tempted to try some Chromesoft soon tho.

ciel-bleu

Visit site
Generally I use NXT TourS but I had a dozen DT Trusoft over the summer and I was surprised. First thing I kept landing them over the back of the green so I had to use 1 club less. Second, putting and chipping weren't affected greatly, a bit more roll as you'd expect but I could still get them to check up. Overall, I'd say DT Trusoft are excellent balls if you struggle for distance or on a budget.
I just bought 4 doz to use over the winter

Matty6

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I normally play with Prov's and I really liked the TruSofts. Felt soft enough and had good feel around the green.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
I like the Trusoft. Not as much as the NXT Tour S, but it's a decent ball. Not a fan of the CXR Control though, always feels like a cheap ball whenever I use one. Big fan of the Chrome Soft though!

Hovisbap

Assistant Pro
Visit site

(1) If I use a Pro V1, I put myself under a bit of pressure as I think - "This is the best ball, will go further if I hit it right etc" so I normally end up hitting it badly and loosing it. I tend to play better if I use what I think is a lesser quality ball - CRX, Srixon.

(2) Would I really feel the benefit of having a ball fitting whether to help with driving, iron, wedge or putting play?

(3) Can we, the higher handicapper, less frequent player, really feel the difference between a top quality ball that costs say £35 per dozen against a lesser quality ball that costs say £19.99 per dozen? I know I would feel the difference in my wallet!

I realise I am just about to put my head above the parapet :whoo: but ......

I think there is a load of nonsense talked about golf balls for players in the high handicap brigade, I used to use Bridgestone E6's which although not a premium ball, it hurt every time I lost one (or two). Just over a month ago I switched to using a Decathlon own make ball @ €4.95 for 12, and since then, in 16 rounds I have lowered my handicap from 18.9 to 17.4, got a hole in one, and won the roll up with 39 points. In that time I have only lost two of my €0.40 balls and have started putting them in my practice bag when they get too manky. For me, the moral of this is that I no longer care if I lose a ball - so I don't lose a ball, and as for feel, distance, spin, blah blah blah, I can't tell the difference.

There, I said it ..

G

guest100718

plenty of top notch balls to be had for around 20 per doz

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
I realise I am just about to put my head above the parapet :whoo: but ......

I think there is a load of nonsense talked about golf balls for players in the high handicap brigade, I used to use Bridgestone E6's which although not a premium ball, it hurt every time I lost one (or two). Just over a month ago I switched to using a Decathlon own make ball @ €4.95 for 12, and since then, in 16 rounds I have lowered my handicap from 18.9 to 17.4, got a hole in one, and won the roll up with 39 points. In that time I have only lost two of my €0.40 balls and have started putting them in my practice bag when they get too manky. For me, the moral of this is that I no longer care if I lose a ball - so I don't lose a ball, and as for feel, distance, spin, blah blah blah, I can't tell the difference.

There, I said it ..

Or could it be you have found a ball that fits/works/reacts to your game? :D