Callaway Chromesoft balls- advice needed

jamielaing

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Hi folks,

I've been using TP5 balls for years but at the end of last season I found a Chromesoft and used it for a few holes. I found them to be straighter, longer, better to putt with and good around the greens. Since then I have changed and now use them all the time.

The last few weeks Scotland has decided to pretend to be Spain and we have had ridiculous heat and no rain. I've played 3 rounds since lockdown ended and getting the ball to stop has been impossible. I put this down to the conditions however yesterday after 9 I changed back to the TP5 and instantly started to get the ball to check up.

Has anyone else noticed that Chromesofts don't spin much? Would the X version spin more?

I really like the Chromesoft everywhere other than spin around the greens so I don't want to quite abandon them yet!

Bwgan

Hacker
Visit site
Check out the Mygolfspy golf ball test, it's got the TP5 as a spinner ball than the Chromesofts with wedge (500revs). X version slightly less with wedge
Our greens have gone very hard and after looking through their data I moved into a Mizuno RB Tour X, now that's a grab and hold ball!

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Although marketed as a "Tour" ball I've never got as much spin from them as, say, a ProV or a Zstar or TP5.
I find them a bit mushy off the tee but fine everywhere else but, yeah, they could spin a bit more.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
There's a new one just out
Supposed to be completely re-engineered.
Was supposed to be in the shops in March but got delayed a little.
Available now, I think
Might be worth a sleeve

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
I’ve experienced similar, if you like the softness of the chromesoft take a look at the new TaylorMade tour response. TXG did a side by side with the TP5 /TP5X and the tour response was just as “spinny” but softer feeling.
I got 2 tour response for free from Silvermere for early booking of the range and I tested them on my short game area yesterday. I found what TXG said to be pretty accurate. Some nice check on the 30yard pitch with a 50* wedge.

adasko

Assistant Pro
Visit site
It always make me laugh when handicap golfers saying that they can spin the ball back with one but not with the other. Ball spin is revs per minute and yet average shot just staying couple of second in the air. 90% is the technique 5% is the ball and the last 5% is receptive greens at least in my humble opinion.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Banned
Visit site
I use the truvis versions and they spin fine for me even playing princes yesterday they held the greens ok