Callaway Apex CF19/CF16 Iron Players

Jensen

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Thoughts please on those that play these irons, and in particular what irons did you play before the switch.
Also interested about experiences on moving to these sets from sets with more offset and thicker top lines. Has the shorter clubhead, thinner top line caused confidence issues.
Thanks

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
I play the Apex CF16, am just about to start my third year with them, absolutely love them. I was playing Ping G15 prior, went for a fitting to try a few different irons and came away with the Apex even though they weren't on the agenda.

Right after getting them I developed a left hook in a big way, which I didn't go and get fixed. Played through blaming the clubs for a year and a half. Even when playing badly, they were still a nicer club to hit than the Pings.

Have been having lessons for the last year, and am finally able to hit more good shots than bad with them. As I said, absolutely love them, Feels lovely to hit the ball, would recommend them.

I'm a 15 handicap on a good day.

Jensen

Tour Rookie
Visit site
My current handicapp is 16, but as I've hit some form the last month it's down to 13 in our winter league. What puts doubt in my mind is some reviews like Golfalot and others say they are a better players iron, they state single figure players

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
The Apex 19s are a cavity back so are designed to help you.

Thin top lines don't affect how the ball is hit, they're just a visual, you want the weight low if you're looking for help.

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I would say the CF16's are easy to hit. Like rocket launchers.

I got them over a year ago and no plans to change. Feel good, good forgiveness and easy to launch. Look good too imo

User20204

Visit site
Remember there are two different models, standard and pros, the standard CF's are missiles, I play the CF16 pros.

simonm8

Visit site
I use the CF19, took a while to adjust to them. but are great clubs.. I had a set of i210 before (got stolen) and then went to APEX..... Im still on the fence about what I prefer.. 13 handicap... I use game golf to track all my rounds.. and the strange thing is the apex I seem to play better and have less issues with the shorter irons than I did with i210... but in i210 5,6,7 I seemed to play better with and hit my number more regular .... no idea why at all.. technically the apex are more forgiving so you would think in the longer irons I would better off.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I use the CF19, took a while to adjust to them. but are great clubs.. I had a set of i210 before (got stolen) and then went to APEX..... Im still on the fence about what I prefer.. 13 handicap... I use game golf to track all my rounds.. and the strange thing is the apex I seem to play better and have less issues with the shorter irons than I did with i210... but in i210 5,6,7 I seemed to play better with and hit my number more regular .... no idea why at all.. technically the apex are more forgiving so you would think in the longer irons I would better off.

I tried to link the feature but my tech inability is obviously running at record levels today.
Check out the Mygolfspy Most wanted Players distance iron 2019 article.
About a quarter of the way down is a horizontal bar chart showing how irons compare in long, medium and short irons.
The rankings are done by using a kind of strokes gained method.
You'll see that the Apex is quite low down on the list, especially for longer irons.
The i210 are in the Players iron category and the same chart shows much better long iron than the Apex.

I've played all Apex's and preferred the original one
I think I just dont like cup-face - the click is very apparent to me (on all of their irons with CF) and it doesn't appeal.
Some dont hear it but it's there for me.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
I tried to link the feature but my tech inability is obviously running at record levels today.
Check out the Mygolfspy Most wanted Players distance iron 2019 article.
About a quarter of the way down is a horizontal bar chart showing how irons compare in long, medium and short irons.
The rankings are done by using a kind of strokes gained method.
You'll see that the Apex is quite low down on the list, especially for longer irons.
The i210 are in the Players iron category and the same chart shows much better long iron than the Apex.

I've played all Apex's and preferred the original one
I think I just dont like cup-face - the click is very apparent to me (on all of their irons with CF) and it doesn't appeal.
Some dont hear it but it's there for me.

Interesting that the Wilson Staff C300 Forged performed so well, you very rarely hear them being discussed on the forum when people are talking new clubs, must be the snob factor. ;)

Last edited: