Call me a cynic but.....2 clubs longer, really?

Nosevi

Head Pro
Visit site
I can understand the delofting to decrease the launch angle, to counter the effect of a low c of g argument.

But why make the shafts longer?

This to me makes no sense.

There's a point in making a given club give more carry - I don't think I'm alone in finding a 9 iron more accurate than a 6 iron but that's down to a shorter shaft length, you have more control over the club face. However much it 'irks' some, having a club that launches the ball on a similar trajectory (albeit with a lower loft but the CofG means for a given loft the ball launches higher) but goes further does have a point. If you also have to lengthen the shaft in order to get the clubhead speed necessary to launch the ball I think it's utterly pointless.

My new irons launch at exactly the same trajectory as my old (use a launch monitor daily) yet give a tad more carry. Shaft lengths are identical but lofts are about a degree cranked down I believe. Gives me the trajectory I want but a few more yards so I can be hitting my PW or 9 iron into a few more greens. For me, that helps my scoring.

G

guest100718

Club tech reached a pinnacle some years ago, and launch angle is determined by many factors.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Some of the new 7 irons ARE 2-clubs longer, you know why? It's longer than a normal 7 iron, and the loft has been cranked down to a 5.5 iron loft. No wonder it's going further. But as has been stated in this thread, I want to hit my irons closer to my target, not longer.

I hate the new distance campaigns, especially from Callaway. Having an iron that goes 20 yards further is utterly pointless. Sell it on its forgiveness sure, but selling it on distance is just stupid, and I can't believe it's something people are still interested in. Also, just look at the Big Bertha irons, in person if possible, they're the ugliest things I've ever seen. Who would want to look down at something so fat, and so offset?

dufferman

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I watched these videos last night, quite interesting:

http://youtu.be/RyO1jB4k0p4

http://youtu.be/psvbGXWirqM

It's Rick Shiels testing the new Big Bertha Irons. It looks like it does give 2 club lengths more.

I guess some people (me included) would feel more confident pulling a 6 iron than a 5 iron out the bag for a shot. But if you struggle to hit your 5 iron, then I guess you'll struggle to hit the 6 iron in this set?

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'd imagine so, it's longer in shaft length than a standard 6-iron, and the loft makes it a 5 iron with a 6 stamped on the bottom. They're so fat in the head though, that it would probably feel like hitting a hybrid, so some people might get on with them. They look ridiculous down by the ball. As the chap said in Rick Shiels' video, "they're so fat, its like looking down at my ex-girlfriend".

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
I can understand the delofting to decrease the launch angle, to counter the effect of a low c of g argument.

But why make the shafts longer?

Does making the shafts longer give a problem when custom fitting? I read that the industry standard is that iron shaft lengths are basically at the length for an average person of 5'10. An inch longer is what I have in my irons and I'm 6'3. So how is this going to work out? You go get fitted and have an inch removed because your only 5'8?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Does making the shafts longer give a problem when custom fitting? I read that the industry standard is that iron shaft lengths are basically at the length for an average person of 5'10. An inch longer is what I have in my irons and I'm 6'3. So how is this going to work out? You go get fitted and have an inch removed because your only 5'8?

In that case, you then get fitted for a pair of Ronnie Corbett golf shoes;)

Nosevi

Head Pro
Visit site

No, you just have to adjust the lie angle to make up for it. If you have a set the 9 iron will fit you but so will the 3 iron which has a far longer shaft. The difference is the angle between the shaft and sole of the club head is different :)

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Number on the bottom of the club is irrelevant for me - how far I hit each club is all that im interested in

I know my 7 goes around 160 ish so work from there

Exactly. Mine would go less than that with my swing so irrespective of the variances in lofts it's about knowing how far you hit your own clubs

Who are you, and what have you done with the real Homer ?;)