Calculating initial handicap

woody69

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My friend has just joined a new club and submitted his 3 cards to get his handicap.

He had an official handicap about 5 years ago of 17, but then left his club and hasn't been a member of a club since then.

His 3 cards were one of 17 over (no dbles), and two at 23 over, but both adjusted to 20 over rounding down to dble bogey on a few holes

He's been given a handicap of 15.

How they work that one out then?

woody69

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Seems about right

The HC is taken from the best scorecard which has been Stableford adjusted then apply a formula and it normally gives someone a HC two shots lower than their best card

Really? Is that a new thing? I assumed it was usually just your best card

D

Deleted member 15344

My friend has just joined a new club and submitted his 3 cards to get his handicap.

He had an official handicap about 5 years ago of 17, but then left his club and hasn't been a member of a club since then.

His 3 cards were one of 17 over (no dbles), and two at 23 over, but both adjusted to 20 over rounding down to dble bogey on a few holes

Seems about right

The HC is taken from the best scorecard which has been Stableford adjusted then apply a formula and it normally gives someone a HC two shots lower than their best card

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site

Witchcraft, pure and simple

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site

Somewhere between Phil's explanation and Imurg's!

No doubt Rosecott will be along soon to publish the actual formulae - I think he keeps it permanently on his clipboard to paste as appropriate.

Agree with Phil that it looks consistent with the current allocation process

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
For those interested the formula is

Initial Handicap = (Lowest adusted gross differential (LAGD) + (LAGD*0.13))/ 1.237

or to simplify, the adjusted number of shots over SSS multiplied by 0.9135

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
I remember my first HCP... +9 I was called a bandit but it couldn't be helped.

Using the current formula, it seems that you might get away with +8. Did you have any holes to round down to double bogeys?

:D:D:D:D

Actually, on reflection, I don't think the formula would work for + handicaps.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site

This is not gospel so take it with a pinch of salt, but he has a round of a 17 hcapper and then two of 23 rounding down dbls. If he has had holes on the 23 rounds that were better than his 17 round, in essence he is capable of playing better than 17.
would be chuffed to bits if that was me.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Mine was similar at my club. The best of the three cards I submitted was 25 over par, the other two were much worse, and I got given a 24 handicap.