Buying new irons

Steviebhoy77

Visit site
Hi,
very new to this forum but I'm looking for advice.

I have decided to buy myself some new irons after having had a few lessons and some deficiencies pointed out in my current (and rather old) set.

Obviously there's a mountain of choice out there from £99-£999 so i'm very wary of buying technology I dont need or that wont help me.

I'm playing off about 18 though should be far lower in my opinion, I've been told that due to my swing speed I need to opt for stiff shafts.

Can someone recommend a good investment for me? I was in my local pro shop the other day and was told either Titleist AP2's or R11's, they're not cheap so just looking to make sure they're right for me.

Thanks in advance.

Stevie

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
AP2 with DGS300 shafts and you cant go too far wrong. You can perhaps still get the 710 model new or ex-demo so you can save a fortune that way. My set only cost me £330 mint PW-3I

Steviebhoy77

Visit site
Thanks for that mate.#
Think the ones I was using to practice with were 2012 model but not sure on shafts, they were about £550 though which I thought was ok.
The R11's felt really good too but the amount of technology is baffling I'll just do a bit of digging and see what I can find.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
The simple answer is to decide what you can afford and then try as many makes and specs as you can until you find something that is right to your game. Why not start off asking your club pro what he recommends for your ability and go from there. I've moved backwards to the R11 from the TM Tour Preferred and it was the best thing I've done. Fantastic club and giving more forgiveness.

Mr_T

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
What homer says basically sums up what you need to do, but it is probably advisable to get a custom fit rather than just pick one that is recommended, the pros advice will be useful and it is worth asking, but at the end of the day only you knows what feels right, so just pick the one that performs best :)