Bushnell Ball Markers

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I recently bought myself a new Bushnell and it came with two massive poker chip style ball markers. I will probably never use them as I prefer something a bit smaller. However, I cannot help wondering why they have a cutout/slot in them. Any of you wise chaps on here know why, is it an alignment thing?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I recently bought myself a new Bushnell and it came with two massive poker chip style ball markers. I will probably never use them as I prefer something a bit smaller. However, I cannot help wondering why they have a cutout/slot in them. Any of you wise chaps on here know why, is it an alignment thing?

Do you have a picture?

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I thought as much. Something else to waste more time on during a round. Line up the marker to the hole, then line up the ball to the marker with Bryson type accuracy and sloth like speed. Then with your crap putting stroke leave the ball short of the hole?
Quick rules question - If you marked your ball, lifted it and then checked your line, would you be allowed to rotate the marker to align the slot? Or would you need to put the ball down first, rotate the marker, then line up the ball to the marker?
Asking for a friend as I would not be so fickle!

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
Out of morbid curiosity I emailed bushnell, or at least there european subsidiary. Answer is

"The reason for the dots and line is to allow for better positioning of the ball when on the green."

So, as I read it, they dont know either...

YandaB

Visit site
I wondered if it is for putting in the spokes of your bike wheels? There was gadget it reminded of from my youth.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Quick rules question - If you marked your ball, lifted it and then checked your line, would you be allowed to rotate the marker to align the slot? Or would you need to put the ball down first, rotate the marker, then line up the ball to the marker?
Asking for a friend as I would not be so fickle!

Not quick unless you are a quick reader

2. When Use of Alignment Device Results in Breach​
If a player places an “alignment device” (see Definition in Equipment Rules to see when a ball-marker meets this Definition) to show the line of play and then orients his or her ball based on the direction of that alignment device, the player is in breach of Rule 4.3a.
or example, a player’s ball comes to rest on the putting green and the player marks the spot of his or her ball with an “alignment device.” When doing so, the alignment device is placed to show the line of play. If the player then lifts and replaces his or her ball (which includes rotating it) so that a marking on the ball is lined up with the alignment device, the player is in breach of Rule 4.3a. (Added 1/2020)

71Part 6 – Devices and Other Equipment

7. Definition of Alignment Device and Treatment of Ball-Markers
(Rule 4.3)
The following criteria are used to determine when an object manufactured
to mark the spot of a ball is an alignment device. Features include, but are
not limited to:
• The object incorporates features designed to measure, gauge or
interpret slope, green speed or other conditions, or includes optical or
electronic components or,
• The vertical height of the object, in any configuration, is greater than
1.0” or,
• The maximum dimension in any horizontal direction exceeds 2.0” and
incorporates any of the features noted below (or similar features):
o the object incorporates painted, etched or inscribed line(s) or similar
features greater than or equal to 2.0” in length (“line” includes any
line, arrow or other straight marking that could be solid or broken,
but has a defined start, a defined end and whose length can be
measured),
o the object has an appendage(s) or an extended feature(s) greater
than 2.0” in length or that extends a feature of the object to a length
greater than 2.0”.
Note 1: An object is an alignment device if it exceeds the dimensional
specifications listed above and advertising, marketing or intellectual
property descriptions or claims related to the object indicates that it is
primarily for the purpose of showing the line of play.
Note 2: An object is an alignment device if it is modified in any manner
that would satisfy any of the above provisions

However in the back of my mind there was another clarification of the Rule but I cannot find it

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Apologies, my question was more to do with moving (rotating) the marker when the ball wasn't in position on the green. Would this be allowed or are you not allowed to move hte marker.