Bunker rules question

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Cant get access to my rules book so asking here as I'm not sure of the answer.

Put my ball into the first part of a bunker that runs three quarters the length of the green, the bunker was full of water with only a couple of feet along the left edge that sloped downwards, nearest point from the submerged ball was the left edge but the ball either rolled into the water or if placed I was then standing with 1 foot in water. The upper area of the bunker had a 4 foot circle of sand not under water but this was much closer to the pin.....

Ruling?

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site
Decision 25-1b/8

The player may play the ball as it lies or:
(1) drop the ball in the bunker without penalty at the nearest point, not nearer the hole, where the depth of the casual water is least – Rule 25-1b(ii)(a); or
(2) drop the ball behind the bunker under penalty of one stroke – Rule 25-1b(ii)(b); or
(3) deem the ball unplayable and proceed in accordance with Rule 28.

Fyldewhite

Tour Winner
www.blackpoolparkgc.co.uk
In this situation you can drop it at the point giving the best possible relief.... so if your foot is still wet but the ball OK then you could legally drop it there unlike in a normal relief situation where you must take full relief.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
Rule 25-1b (ii) is your first point of reference, Darthvega. Decision 25-1b/8 clarifies the options where a bunker is completely filled with water. It doesn't make a huge difference but in your situation you could find a place where you could get partial relief which is ok. Unlike relief from an obstruction you are not required to take full relief, so you can choose to drop where the casual water is going to affect you least - in your situation perhaps with the ball on sand but one foot in the water.

You had, from your description, committed to that choice. When you dropped your ball, it was in play:
If the player’s ball in play has been lifted, it is again in play when dropped or placed. (Rule 20-4).

So it makes sense when looking at the options for relief in any situation not even to lift your ball until you have thought through what to do. In this case it didn't matter since where you dropped the ball was still affected by the casual water so you could gain relief from that in the same way as the first time. In other situations you might find you have taken relief say from an obstruction and find your dropped ball has rolled into a hole or thick grass etc. and has to be played.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Thanks fellas, so basically my only option was to take a penalty drop outside the bunker?

Seems pretty unfair rule when the bunker had a foot of water in it and part of one side had eroded with the water running into it, I suppose the course should have made the bunker GUR in the circumstances.
Every fairway shot had to be moved due to casual water it was that bad, bleeding summer, huh!

North Mimms

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thanks fellas, so basically my only option was to take a penalty drop outside the bunker?

Seems pretty unfair rule when the bunker had a foot of water in it and part of one side had eroded with the water running into it, I suppose the course should have made the bunker GUR in the circumstances.
Every fairway shot had to be moved due to casual water it was that bad, bleeding summer, huh!

I agree that it is really harsh to have no choice apart from taking a penalty drop outside bunker.
Our club never makes flooded bunkers Temp GUR more's the pity

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've never understood why some people feel that they should have a free drop out of a water filled bunker. It's a hazard. You put it in there. Play it as it lies or take a free drop on a drier patch if possible. At least you have options whereas with a water hazard play it as it lies or take a penalty drop.

The problem seems to be that the rules cannot cover for a subjective view i.e. one person's puddle in a bunker might be another's just wet sand. It's the same with divots. When does a divot cease to be a divot? When it has been replaced? When seeded sand has been put down? When the new grass has germinated? When you can't see it any more?

The current ruling removes all possibility of doubt and potential "bending of the rules" to gain an advantage.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I've never understood why some people feel that they should have a free drop out of a water filled bunker. It's a hazard. You put it in there. Play it as it lies or take a free drop on a drier patch if possible. At least you have options whereas with a water hazard play it as it lies or take a penalty drop.

no-one asking for a free drop outside the bunker:confused:, it's a bunker NOT a water hazard, I'd be delighted to play out of it wet or dry sand but not under a foot of water.
When your ball is in the rough under 4 inches of water do you play it because its in the rough and you put it there?
When you simply CANNOT drop or place the ball in the bunker there needs to be a fair outcome imo.

Possibly designating all water filled bunkers as lateral water hazards for the day would help but I doubt it.

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've never understood why some people feel that they should have a free drop out of a water filled bunker. It's a hazard. You put it in there.
Have to disagree with this part Leftie
Surely a water filled bunker should just be out of play , anywhere elses on the course if there is casual water or water where it should not be , you are allowed relief , why should a bunker be different . its not a water hazzard

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Possibly designating all water filled bunkers as lateral water hazards for the day would help but I doubt it.

That would still only leave you with the choice between playing it as it lies or a penalty drop outside the bunker.

I think GUR is the best solution, but it's not always possible for the greenstaff to get around them all to make the decision on each one, unless they just nominate ALL bunkers as GUR?