Bunker nightmares

StrangelyBrown

Tour Winner
Visit site
My SW is 55 degrees and I don't have too many problems getting the ball out. If I need to get the ball up high and soft I'll hinge my wrists early and aggresively, if I need the ball to go a fair distance then I'll use less wrist hinge, have a squarer stance and not open the club face as much.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Smiffy, if you are hitting them fat, try this.
Position the ball in the centre of your stance, hands slightly in front of the ball and take a "divot" after the ball.
I suspect you are leaning back, dropping the right shoulder and trying to help the ball into the air.
By taking the sand "divot" that should help you get a better contact on the ball and send it skyward :)

Try it with your shorter clubs first then move on to the longer irons when you've mastered it :)

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
I normally will get out (but not close) first time. I just shuffle my feet, aim left of target and then concentrate on feeling the takeaway is almost pushing away from my body initially (less of a round my body turn in normal irons)... which I guess gives the out to in swing? I use a 60 deg lob wedge too, as I find I often thin my sand wedge.

As for fairway bunkers, Smiffy, try not shuffling your feet and use a flat-soled fairway wood if you have one, or a hybrid, rather than an iron. I use a 5 wood out of bunkers to great effect. Just don't do it if there's too big a lip to clear.

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not sure where i got this tip (or even whether I dreamt it up!) Worth a try, if not fire back with a knob! or two. :D

Don't shuffle down in the sand, just move your feet enough to get a firm stance. Position ball slightly further back in stance than normal for the same club.

Address ball with club hovering above the ball, leading edge of the club in line with the front of the ball. Use at least one more club if lip allows and swing only to about 3/4.

Really need to resist trying to heave it out as that will cause loss of height and balance and will get you shovelling sand all day.

The_LHC

Head Pro
Visit site
For fairway bunkers I was told (for an iron at least, I don't have a hybrid or 5 wood so I don't know if it applies), not to use the wrists, don't cock them, I also use a 3/4 swing, seems to work for me, unless I look up to see what a masterful bunker shot I've just hit of course...

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
For fairway bunkers I was told (for an iron at least, I don't have a hybrid or 5 wood so I don't know if it applies), not to use the wrists, don't cock them, I also use a 3/4 swing, seems to work for me, unless I look up to see what a masterful bunker shot I've just hit of course...

How can you have a 3/4 swing without hinging your wrists and expect to hit the ball any distance? :D

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I play fairway bunkers like a normal shot from the fairway. Hit the ball first then grass/sand, but with the ball a bit further back in my stance.

If you're happy with 100yds down the fairway then a 3/4 wedge or 9 iron hitting down on the ball is almost foolproof imo.
Just allow for losing a little height with the ball being a bit further back in your stance.

The only thing that can go wrong is getting greedy and hitting the lip of the bunker.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I have to agree. Play it like a normal shot and make a turn. I tend to grip down a bit to compensate for the feet sinking into the sand and look to try and make a clean contact. Imagine you are trying to pick it clean. As long as you can get it over any lip it doesn't really matter if you hit it thin.

Smiffy we'll have to play greensomes and I'll play the fairway bunkers if you can get out of the greenside ones

The_LHC

Head Pro
Visit site
I play fairway bunkers like a normal shot from the fairway. Hit the ball first then grass/sand, but with the ball a bit further back in my stance.

If you're happy with 100yds down the fairway then a 3/4 wedge or 9 iron hitting down on the ball is almost foolproof imo.
Just allow for losing a little height with the ball being a bit further back in your stance.

The only thing that can go wrong is getting greedy and hitting the lip of the bunker.

That's the main point, you have to play the club/shot that gets you out, if it's a low lipped bunker you can get away with a longish club, the last one I played had a lip of a couple of feet or so, so I was hitting a 7-iron, I didn't really lose an awful lot of distance, from what I remember.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site

Me too. I just take one more club and hope to not catch it heavy. I'll take either a sand divot after the ball or a thin contact....either works.

As this thread is still popular,

Is there anyone out there who happily plays out of greenside bunkers with any of their wedges?

I only really have one shot greenside, sure I can open up a SW for a high floater, but if I have a long one, I might just use a GW or PW....

am I odd?

(no rude comments :))

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
No Dave. I have often used my 52 degree wedge on 20-30 yard shots as it gives me more distance without having to rely on a full swing. Seems to do the job pretty well

You da man! :)

I hit a beauty the other about 25 yards. The chap I was with wanted to know how I'd judged it.....so I just showed him the sole of the club..... :eek:

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I'm not da man.

I've tried briefly with my 60 and can't get consistent results with it. I'm happy with my 56 anywhere up to 60yds away so never tried the 52 from a greenside bunker.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm not da man.

I've tried briefly with my 60 and can't get consistent results with it. I'm happy with my 56 anywhere up to 60yds away so never tried the 52 from a greenside bunker.

60 yards with a SW out of a greenside bunker.....whoa.....that is talent! :)

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I'm not da man.

60 yards with a SW out of a greenside bunker.....whoa.....that is talent! :)

No, it's called a thin :D