Bunker nightmares

GolfScot

Club Champion
Visit site
Hi

I consider myself to be reasonable at most parts of the game (play off 8) with the notable exception of bunker play. To look at me playing out a bunker you would think i had only just taken up the game.

I know the technique, aim left, open face, take grip, swing through etc but I just can't do it!

My bunker shots are always the same, far, far too much sand - if the ball gets out of the bunker (maybe 4 times out of 10) it literally only gets out by a couple of inches.

I can play the flop shot with my eyes closed without a problem so I'm confounded why I simply can't, and never have been able to, play bunkers.

It's got to the stage where in order to maintain a good medal score I have to avoid all bunkers on any course i play!

help!!!

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Hi and welcome to the forum.
2 questions if I may?
Where do you position the ball in relation to your feet?
Do you swing out to in or normal?

Oops, that 3 :)

GolfScot

Club Champion
Visit site
Hey Bob

thanks - been a reader of the forum for ages but at the end of my tether with sand issues so decided to post!

In answer to your questions
- probably just forward of centre i would say
- i would say in bunkers i try to swing across the line, as if i was trying to hit a slice - out to in

just don't get it - can hit 100 flop shots and get them all within 6 feet but yet every time in a bunker I catch it way, way, way heavy!!!

any help very appreciated - on the verge of trading the 60 degree wedge in for a bucket and spade!

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
that you are using the 60 degree wedge may be the problem. key equipment part to bunker shots is you want a decent amount of bounce on the wedge, and if you are hitting it heavy it sounds as though you may have too little bounce on your 60 degree wedge. check the bounce between this and your normal sandwedge, id expect there is more bounce on the sandwedge making it more suited to the bunker shots

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
First of all, don't panic.
I see 2 problems here.
If you are taking too much sand, the downswing must be quite steep which does suggest a slicers swing and secondly, I would position the ball much further forward in your stance opposite your left heal/instep (right handed)

You say you do the usual stuff about aiming left, open face etc which is all good, but if you then swing out to in as well, your swing plane will be too high, path will be out to in and a deep divot/sand would result.
Here's what I suggest.
Next time you get a chance, go in a bunker and draw a line in the sand about 3-4 in behind the ball.
Get the ball forward in the stance and swing normally trying to enter the sand on the line and a nice big follow through.
If you think "EXPLOSION" when you swing, that should help you visualise how the ball flies out on a cushion of sand.
That way, your angle of attack will be shallower and therefor less sand will go flying solving your bunker problems for ever.
:)
Mine's a pint :D

GolfScot

Club Champion
Visit site
cheers Bob - the pint is in the post!!!

one last question if i may?

on the alignment....so are you saying continue to aim the shoulders and feet left of target but swing more on plane

ie directly at the target as opposed to out to in and cutting across it?

will definitely change the ball position.

cheers

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
No. Aim left with your body and swing the way you're aiming.
Don't try and swing towards the flag or more out to in than normal. Just aim left and swing left

GolfScot

Club Champion
Visit site
sorry mate, I'm not getting it - what can i say, I can be very slow!!! (not on the course tho obviously!!!)

earlier in the thread you said

'but if you then swing out to in as well, your swing plane will be too high'

...but if i continue to swing left as you've said above will this not continue to result in the out to in plane and therefore to steep angle of attack?

apologies if I'm missing the point completely...!!!

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Sorry, my fault.
I meant if you aim left then swing out to in to your aim, then you will get too steep.
Of course if you aim left then swing normally, you will swing out to in in relation to the flag but not to your aim.
I thought you meant you aimed left THEN ALSO swung out to in
Clear as mud? :p

GolfScot

Club Champion
Visit site
got ye Bob!

I aim left with the shoulders and feet and then swing along that line - which is on plane with my alignment but out to in re the target....THAT'S THE IDEA ANYWAY!!! hee hee

sounds as though ball position may be the issue then and i will make a conscious effort not to get too steep.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
I mess around with the ball position.
If I'm taking too much sand (or notice I've done so) I move it back an inch and vice versa.
a.t.m. I play it forward of centre, but as we all know, forward might mean "middle" once you've opened up your alignment.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I mess around with the ball position.
If I'm taking too much sand (or notice I've done so) I move it back an inch and vice versa.
a.t.m. I play it forward of centre, but as we all know, forward might mean "middle" once you've opened up your alignment.

That's why you should always take you aim first then check ball position. :)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Bob on a slight tangent, I was reading that with the bounce of modern wedges being as good as it is, that it would be better for most amateurs to aim only fractionally open as per a ptich shot say and swing through on a conventional down the line path.

Is there any mileage in this. Will it work. Will it be consistant. I'm another having bunker problems although mine I think is more mental. I have been playing bunker shots in the same way as the OP for many years. In the practice bunker I'm fine and can get even the most plugged of lies out. Put me on the course and the swing gets short and choppy and I hit it fat and leave it in or get nervouse and lift up and thin it 50 yards

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I agree that the bounce helps but it's also the loft that helps the ball out of the sand.
I just get worried when some open up a 60 or 64 and try and get some distance out of it.
The advantage of having the high lofts means you dont have to aim left and add loft to them.
My sw is 56 and I can hit most types of shots with it but if you love your 60 or 64, use it but practice with it first.
You can have a 64 LW with 14 deg of bounce and if your technique is poor, you'll still only hit it 3 feet.

drawboy

Tour Winner
Visit site
I had exactly the same problem until I bought an MD Seve continuous bounce wedge, hey presto! problemo solved and my bunker play is back on track. Check out the review on the review section of the forum or there is a video review on the today's golfer (boo,hiss etc) web page.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I have a 58 with 8 degrees of bounce. As most of our bunkers are parkland and so not that deep (compared to say the Hotchkin) then I thought that would be adequate. I do have a 56 with 12 degrees if you think that is a better tool to do the job. What about my idea of setting up more square to the ball like a pitch and playing it more down the line. Is that going to be less risky than the "traditional" ope stance and swing out and across.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I don't mind greenside bunkers. I normally get out of them ok. It's bloody fairway bunkers I struggle with. I stand there with a perfect lie, a seven/six/five iron in my hand with the intention of at least making half decent progress down the fairway...Christ, 100 yards would do me. All sorts of thoughts go through my head. Keep your head still, don't dip into the shot, grip down on the shaft, pick the ball up cleanly. Don't dig too far down into the sand with your feet etc.etc.... And then I fat it. Big time. Fat, fat, fat....and the ball pops out (if I'm lucky) and goes 20 yards down the fairway (if I'm lucky) and still leaves me 220 yards to go...
I hate bloody fairway bunkers
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I am ace out of fairway bunkers.

All you need to do is catch it a bit thin. I do that anyway.

I try to do that Murph. I honestly do. But still catch the poxy things fat, fat, fat.
And if I do manage to catch it thin, it will fly off at 45 degrees to the right and go in a pond. Or OOB. Or through the clubhouse window