Building up grips

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Specifically with extra layers of tape.

The reason I ask, what is probably a daft question is this.

I have Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Compounds on at the minute, with only the 1 layer of tape.

On my left hand (Top hand) I've developed callouses at the base of my 3 end fingers (pinky to middle).

The reason, I think is the grip maybe fractionally too small and I'm having to grip tighter with my left hand to secure the club correctly.

I have no callouses any where else on my left hand or right hand.

Now. For my hand size I'm supposed to have 2 extra wraps of tape under the grip as well as the standard layer, so 3 layers of tape total.

Would it not be simpler to fit a midsize grip with the 1 layer?

Or

With me only having callouses on my left hand, would it be worth adding extra layers under the grip where the left hand sits and the rest as it is now, I.E 1 layer under the right hand with 3 under the left?

Any thoughts?

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Funnily enough Gareth I've been thinking of doing the same with the top half of the grip as it doesn't seem large enough for my left hand, but if I build up 3 tape layers the right hand feels like its too big.
Maybe worth trying with one club to start and see how it feels, I'm going to try it with a few Mizzie T Zoid pro's and then the MP69's if it feels better.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
In addition to the callouses I have a "rub" mark on the first knuckle of my index finger, in a line with the callouses.

I always take my grip in a similar fashion, by laying the club across my fingers, then closing the hand around the grip.

Like this

temporary-107.jpg

The callous' follow the lines of the grip, through the base of the fingers and also the small wear mark on my index finger.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
in that case why not do as Tiger and many pro's do and put tape (plasters) round these fingers only at these points?

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
in that case why not do as Tiger and many pro's do and put tape (plasters) round these fingers only at these points?

It''s no the finger itself though DV, It's where the finger meets the palm so taping would be tricky and likely not stay put.

Could be Grip Pressure ( Too Tight ).....??
Could be the Cord in the Grip, too hard/harsh for you....??

Regarding the pressure being too tight, This was my original OP. Could the grip be too small causing me to grip tighter to secure the club?

You could be onto somwthing as regards the cord, however I would have thought all fingers would have been affected rather than the end 3?

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Gareth, I also forgot to say I changed from the new decade multicompound to normal M21 mizuno grips as the top (cord part) just never felt like I had all of it- if you get my drift

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Gareth, I also forgot to say I changed from the new decade multicompound to normal M21 mizuno grips as the top (cord part) just never felt like I had all of it- if you get my drift

I know what you mean. I actually like the Multi Compounds, I think they are excellent grips.

I'm going to be re-gripping them shortly and was considering extra layers to see if it helped with the issue I'm having and thought I'd seek the knowledge of the forum.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site

strangely I though they generally wore a glove on their left hand, and reserved the tape for their right...... as tiger stopped wearing a glove?

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
Do you wear a glove? That could solve the lot if you don't. No more blisters/segs and you will grip lighter. If you do wear one at the moment. Then I ain't got a clue, sorry.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Do you wear a glove? That could solve the lot if you don't. No more blisters/segs and you will grip lighter. If you do wear one at the moment. Then I ain't got a clue, sorry.

Yes Dave I wear a glove which is why I'm confused :mad:

I'm sure it's down tom the size of the grip bu, like I said, I thought I'd ask on here :thup: