Buggy in a Casual round

Swango1980

Visit site
No competition, just general play. Tourist golf package. A couple of Royal courses.

This is a typical sports injury--I've had them treated in the past. But can't get them treated here. I've been told if it hurts, stop walking.
Sounds strange. For general play, I though golf courses would be only to keen to rent out a buggy. Hard to imagine these three courses genuinely only give out buggies to people with a medical certificate. Either loads of people have a certificate, or they only have a couple of buggies and so don't have enough to go around?

Have you tried contacting the club directly? I would have thought that, if you explained your situation personally, they could surely help you out? Maybe the general statement is just to try and discourage fit and healthy people using buggies, meaning others that need them can get them. I'd be surprised if they continued to demand a certificate, doesn't seem like a good business decision if it means you can't play at all. Wasting a doctors time seems unnecessary (do doctors charge for such things, especially in the US)?

sandzi

Visit site
Thank you, your comments are very helpful. Calling the golf club (head pro?) to explain the situation is a good idea.

I've never needed to request a Medical Certificate before and carts are always available in the US--except professional competitions. There would be a charge for the visit to the doctor (and my health insurance would cover that) and the doctor would write a letter--no form would be used

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thank you, your comments are very helpful. Calling the golf club (head pro?) to explain the situation is a good idea.

I've never needed to request a Medical Certificate before and carts are always available in the US--except professional competitions. There would be a charge for the visit to the doctor (and my health insurance would cover that) and the doctor would write a letter--no form would be used

What I have is a letter from my home club saying I have submitted a medical exemption form to them which has been accepted at every club I have played at.
Bit late now but perhaps you could get something similar from your home club.

CountLippe

Visit site
Calling the golf club (head pro?) to explain the situation is a good idea.

At our club, the pro said something along the lines of "If you tell me you have a certificate, I don't need to see it".

So perhaps you could tell white lie and say you've left it back in the states?

RRidges

Visit site
Sounds strange. For general play, I though golf courses would be only to keen to rent out a buggy. Hard to imagine these three courses genuinely only give out buggies to people with a medical certificate. Either loads of people have a certificate, or they only have a couple of buggies and so don't have enough to go around?

Have you tried contacting the club directly? I would have thought that, if you explained your situation personally, they could surely help you out? Maybe the general statement is just to try and discourage fit and healthy people using buggies, meaning others that need them can get them. I'd be surprised if they continued to demand a certificate, doesn't seem like a good business decision if it means you can't play at all. Wasting a doctors time seems unnecessary (do doctors charge for such things, especially in the US)?
They are certainly quite happy to allow buggies for GP but 'for handicap' rounds at the 2 or 3 courses I've asked at in my current part of the world (Kansas City Missouri) including my nominal home club.

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I played in Jersey earlier this month and enquired about buggy use and was told I needed a medical certificate if I wanted to hire one. If I did hire one then my playing partner would have to have a medical certificate to share otherwise single use.

I hired a push trolley!