Buggy in a Casual round

VVega

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Sorry if it’s been asked before but is there an explicit reference for not allowing use of buggies (unless under a medical exemption) in Casual rounds or are they covered implicitly under Competition rounds(ie a Casual round is still a competition round)?

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
Sorry if it’s been asked before but is there an explicit reference for not allowing use of buggies (unless under a medical exemption) in Casual rounds or are they covered implicitly under Competition rounds(ie a Casual round is still a competition round)?
So you're saying that buggies are not allowed at all then? So when would you use a buggy?

VVega

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Unless a Committee, or the Terms of the Competition for a specific event, has invoked MLR G-6, buggies are permitted (as post #2 states).
AFAIK, most clubs and England Golf have policies that don’t allow buggies in Competition Rounds. Buggies are allowed in General Play.

I guess the question is whether Casual Round is General Play or Competition or sth else?

wjemather

Visit site
AFAIK, most clubs and England Golf have policies that don’t allow buggies in Competition Rounds. Buggies are allowed in General Play.

I guess the question is whether Casual Round is General Play or Competition or sth else?
Casual rounds = General Play.

Our terms of competition only state buggies must be authorised by the committee (for practical reasons this is largely delegated to the pro shop). In practice, the only time a request would be declined is to prevent damage to the course, or perhaps Club Championship.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site

What is your source of information for your statement that most clubs do not allow buggies in competition?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The only rule we have is that a medical certificate is required to use one in a competition.

The only guidance I know of given by England Golf is their use in competitions and they allow use in their own competitions with a medical certificate. Personally I would hope that clubs use the same guidance.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
What is your source of information for your statement that most clubs do not allow buggies in competition?
Certainly been the case, medical exemption aside, in my experience - from clubs in the various areas of UK I've worked and played.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
For what it's worth, not much, my club allows use of a buggie in comps without a certificate. I was on the committee still at that point and the consensus was that we wanted to encourage older members who needed a buggie to get around to be able to keep playing in competitions. We agreed to monitor it to see if people abused it but that was 3 years ago and nothing has changed.

I occasionally play with a guy in comps who doesn't have a certificate but will only play with a buggy. He doesn't gain any advantage based on my experience of playing with him.

It's very much a club decision.

VVega

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Casual rounds = General Play.
So there is no specific rule that differentiates between rounds that are played for HCP purposes outside competitions, i.e. Casual / Supplementary (in the old par le) and any knock about i.e. General Play? :) Obviously, apart from declaring the intent etc.

In other words, if the club buggy policy only mentions restrictions for use of buggies during competition rounds, it should be acceptable to use a buggy in Casual round that counts for HCP?

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
So there is no specific rule that differentiates between rounds that are played for HCP purposes outside competitions, i.e. Casual / Supplementary (in the old par le) and any knock about i.e. General Play? :) Obviously, apart from declaring the intent etc.

In other words, if the club buggy policy only mentions restrictions for use of buggies during competition rounds, it should be acceptable to use a buggy in Casual round that counts for HCP?
Yes and I don't understand why anyone should want to ban buggies from casual rounds except where course conditions dictate.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Disregarding occasions when course conditions prevent buggy use, we allow them in casual and competition rounds.

The only exception is Club Championship, when a user must require one on medical grounds.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Am sure there was a topic a year or so ago on the GM forum where a player wanted to use a buggy in a final as he had a back injury and the committee refused. .Getting a medical cert off a dr was mentioned.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
For what it's worth, not much, my club allows use of a buggie in comps without a certificate. I was on the committee still at that point and the consensus was that we wanted to encourage older members who needed a buggie to get around to be able to keep playing in competitions. We agreed to monitor it to see if people abused it but that was 3 years ago and nothing has changed.

I occasionally play with a guy in comps who doesn't have a certificate but will only play with a buggy. He doesn't gain any advantage based on my experience of playing with him.

It's very much a club decision.

Yup, every club will make their 'rule' based on what works for them i.e at some courses here using a Buggy is mandatory for everyone for several months of the year

Swango1980

Visit site
So you're saying that buggies are not allowed at all then? So when would you use a buggy?
I assumed the OP was referring to Casual Rounds to be submitted for handicap (inexplicably howdidido references these as Casual Rounds, not General Play rounds). So, the OP might have though buggies were not permitted for any round that was to count towards a players handicap, without a medical exemption.

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

We operate a medical exemption list where buggies are allowed for specific individuals who apply to the committee for use in competitions. Not generally allowed.

Banchory Buddha

Visit site

ok, so badly worded but at least I get your point now.

Competition round - no if that's club rules
General play round for handicap - that's a competition round, so same goes I'd expect
Casual round - you're out for a knock, do what you like, but it's not a counting round for handicap