Budget - £2000 Scrap scheme... IT DOESNT WORK!!!

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
You’re not suggesting we have higher tax for fuel-efficient cars…

Not in the slightest. I'm all for them.
But where will the shortfall in revenue come from?
If the Government lose £150.00 road tax because people take in initiative to buy more fuel efficent cars you can bet your life we will ALL pay for it somewhere else.
VAT goes up again? Petrol duty rockets? The bastards will have to recoup it one way or another....
That's the point I was trying to make
;)

Tommo21

Tour Winner
www.royalmusselburgh.co.uk
You’re not suggesting we have higher tax for fuel-efficient cars…

Not in the slightest. I'm all for them.
But where will the shortfall in revenue come from?
If the Government lose £150.00 road tax because people take in initiative to buy more fuel efficent cars you can bet your life we will ALL pay for it somewhere else.
VAT goes up again? Petrol duty rockets? The bastards will have to recoup it one way or another....
That's the point I was trying to make
;)

I get your point, but no one said anything about any shortfall when the £30 tax first came in. Even a more fuel efficent car means a shortfall in tax revenue, but is anyone complaining about getting more MPG.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I get your point, but no one said anything about any shortfall when the £30 tax first came in.

Especially those with £30 cars to tax.... ;)
Problem is, the vast majority of cars went up in tax. So subsequently a few benefitted at the cost of the majority.
I sell many more cars in the £145-£210.00 tax band than I do £35.00.
Prior to the changes in the way car tax is levied, most of the £145 and £170.00 cars would have been £120.00
;)

medwayjon

Tour Winner
www.snodhurstcarsales.co.uk
Spot on Rob, yes some benefit from Free/£35 road tax but the majority suffered an increase.

The whole eco-friendly thing is rubbish, global warming is a lie and thats the truth.

I was at the hospital recently and some unwashed eco-crusader came upto me an gave me a right load of lip like "why does a man on his own like you need such a big polluting car?" my answer.... "to pi$$ the likes of morons like you off!"

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Spot on Rob, yes some benefit from Free/£35 road tax but the majority suffered an increase.

The whole eco-friendly thing is rubbish, global warming is a lie and thats the truth.

I was at the hospital recently and some unwashed eco-crusader came upto me an gave me a right load of lip like "why does a man on his own like you need such a big polluting car?" my answer.... "to pi$$ the likes of morons like you off!"

Have you ever thought of a career in the diplomatic corps Jon?
;)

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
The whole idea of getting £2000 off a new car is pathetic - only the people who were ALREADY going to buy a new car will benefit, thus simply giving away £2000 that was already going to be spent. It won't persuade anyone else to suddenly upgrade to a new car. It reeks of the rich getting richer to me.

rgs

Tour Rookie
Visit site
We ran this scheme over here about 8 years ago and it worked, we got rid of a lot of old motors. Of course this was before we set up our MOT scheme and people were anxious to get rid of their older vehicle.

However with the current economic situation worldwide it is difficult to see the scheme working as well as expected.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
What is wrong with old motors. Mine is 10 years old, the Mrs car will be 10 this year, there is no depreciation, mine is reliable (the less said about hers the better), and as I have previously pointed out, new cars are more environmentally damaging to make than just driving an old one, I just don't get the hatred towards old nails.

medwayjon

Tour Winner
Exactly Chris, there is bugger-all wrong with old cars, nothing whatsoever as long as they are roadworthy.

I for one would rather spend £2k on a car and sell it for £3k than spend £15k and sell it for £16k

Why risk a higher investment for the same return? That is my personal view in what I do.

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just a thought (again) but call me a cynic .......

If I buy a "previously enjoyed" car, what does that nice Mr Brown get out of the transaction ?? ?? Nothing?

If I buy a new one, does he still get car tax and possibly VAT on the purchase?

Tommo21

Tour Winner
The whole idea of getting £2000 off a new car is pathetic - only the people who were ALREADY going to buy a new car will benefit, thus simply giving away £2000 that was already going to be spent. It won't persuade anyone else to suddenly upgrade to a new car. It reeks of the rich getting richer to me.

This has come about because the car industry is on it’s knees. Most people at this time are keeping their cars (keeping their money) instead of getting a new or newer model.

This has come about to try and entice people to part with their money, that in turn will help the car industry. Of course it will only benefit those who want a new car, that’s the whole point of the deal. It’s new cars that are not selling the second hand market is quite strong.

The rich getting richer, with the new rates of income tax for the rich. The guy in my work bought a new car a while back he’s on about 20K a year….is that rich.

IMO this is a good deal as we have many thousands of workers, directly or indirectly, depending on this for their future. If it doesn’t work then nothing will be lost.....maybe a few jobs.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
I tell you what. I met someone today who's off to the auction (Friday BCA) to buy a banger for £100....why?
Because he and the missus want to buy a new Ford.....

How does this work then, they effectively get a cheaper car by towing in some heap of junk once the papers come through...

????? me no understand......

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
I tell you what. I met someone today who's off to the auction (Friday BCA) to buy a banger for £100....why?

How does this work then, they effectively get a cheaper car by towing in some heap of junk once the papers come through...

They are wasting their money. To qualify for the scheme you must be able to prove you have owned the car for at least one year. The scheme is to run from May 2009 to March 2010, so anyone buying an old car now will not be able to qualify.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/Buy...hicle/DG_177693

madandra

Money List Winner
Visit site

Aint gonna work Dave as you have to own the car for 1 year.

The government is stuck because motor manufacturers have stopped making cars which means they have stopped making spares which could lead to rather a lot of cars rotting as spares cant be sourced. My cousin has a Hyundai Santa Fe which needs new springs and she has been told it will be MAY .... 2010 before they are made as Hyundai have stopped production. If Ford stopped making spares for their vehicles the country would be on its knees.

The whole £2k scheme is flawed but car manufacturers need to start selling cars and we need insentives to buy them.

MWJ, what has Shameron said that makes you think that that shower of gimps can do any better? The mess we are in has been coming ever since Maggie allowed everyone the right to buy their houses. They got them cheap sold them high and couldnt afford the houses above their means. This is esspecially true in London. A council flat that was sold for £34,000 in 1992 sold last year for £447,000 cos my mates mum and dad sold it. That takes affordable housing out of the reach of the average earner who has to lie to get a mortgage for a house they cant really afford which leads to the mess we are in. Ta Thatch, thanks for eff all.

Tommo21

Tour Winner

What part don’t you understand. Give up the old car, get it off the road, get a new one, save a few jobs. This government has handed out billions to greedy bankers, city men and dealers………this sounds good to anyone who wants a NEW car and it’s obviously enticed the guy above.

medwayjon

Tour Winner
Madandra,

All I know is that my parents were a lot better off under the last conservative government.

I dont have a great deal of love for any but as the buggers go, I think the tories are the best option.

The main problem I have with labour is that they allow the idle to sit on their arses, claiming disability because they are too fat to work, they get stuck in nice houses and dont have to lift a finger.

Not far from me there is a family, 2 kids, both parents are on the social for "disability", on the drive is a Lotus Elise and a BMW X5, must be a hard life on the old rock n' roll.

It pi$$es me off no-end to see these cretins wearing £100 ralph shirts and the like. I work like a demon, pay my taxes etc and I cant afford £100 shirts, because unlike these scumbags, I have to PAY for my home, PAY my council tax, PAY for our prescriptions, PAY for our dentist and everything else these low-lifes dont.

This is the only reason that labour may stay in power, there are vast numbers of dole-dossing scrotes and all the time they have it good, they will vote labour.

I have recently read a report on the abuse of DWP crisis loans. Say for example, Mr X is on the chat. He gets his dole money and goes down the bookies and spunks it all. He then goes down the social, says he has no money to feed his family and to top-up his leccy and bang, he gets an instant giro for £150 to go and cash. I have seen scag-heads with such giro's literally sprinting in and out of the post office to go and meet their dealers.

So basically yes, I despise Labour, always have, always will, I shall vote conservative in the hope that something may change for the better, and Mr Cameron has vowed to take out immediate and sweeping reviews on the benefits system.