Brooks - slaps down Rory.

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
Brooks says nothing he is labelled boring.
Brooks speaks the truth he is being disrespectful.

The man cant win. Except majors, he wins those.

The man rarely says anything of any interest, barely has an interest in golf, barely thinks it's a sport. When I first read it yesterday, it seemed to me to be a manufactured statement, a. to create a bit of interest him; b. to create a bit rivalry and excitement going forward and c. it's marketable, or least McIlroy is, and why not jump on board with that.

Rivalry is good for golf; the big 3 was a manufactured concept, and journalists / fans are desperate for a genuine rivalry. BK wins majors; RMc used too but has potential to do so again. I don't mind the statement, but it feels forced. He doesn't dislike RMc - he turns up, hits the ball and moves on. But why not stir up the hornets nest? There's 98 other guys in the top 100 right now who wished BK name checked them..... as far as I can see, that's far from disrespectful.

inc0gnito

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Brooks says nothing he is labelled boring.
Brooks speaks the truth he is being disrespectful.

The man cant win. Except majors, he wins those.

There are many ways to say something. It really isn’t hard to be respectful and still say the same thing.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
There are many ways to say something. It really isn’t hard to be respectful and still say the same thing.
Someone asked about his 'rivalry' with Rory and he said he doesn't see it as a rivalry because Rory hasn't competed with him for any majors. Is it really all that disrespectful? Obviously just sees himself as a lone wolf rather than getting into individual battles.

sunshine

Visit site
This is a bit like man city fans claiming Liverpool isn't a rival because they've never won the premier league.

Just how serious do we think he is? Probably dreamed up by Nike to sell more merch.

User20204

Visit site
If that is indeed what he said, then it lacks class, and I'd say the same had Rory said anything similar, surely our game is above trash talk.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
If that is indeed what he said, then it lacks class, and I'd say the same had Rory said anything similar, surely our game is above trash talk.
Someone has pointed out that the statement has been taken in isolation. When you look at the full chat he isn't making a personal point against Rory, imo, but the journos have been a bit naughty with this.

Sad to say, journos doing that lead to Tiger Woods style press conferences which tell you nothing. Can't blame them when their words get twisted.

Steve Bamford

Head Pro
www.golfbettingsystem.co.uk
I think the angle with Koepka is that he just says things as he sees them. The Majors are everything to him and he would rather maximise Majors and focus solely on getting right for them, than spend time trying to win domestic tournaments. Whose Major record is anywhere near his from the 2017 U.S. Open onwards?

inc0gnito

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Someone asked about his 'rivalry' with Rory and he said he doesn't see it as a rivalry because Rory hasn't competed with him for any majors. Is it really all that disrespectful? Obviously just sees himself as a lone wolf rather than getting into individual battles.

The title of the thread is “Brooks slaps down Rory”. Why that particular title? Because what he said was clearly disrespectful and everyone knows it. He could of easily of said a hundred different things.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
The title of the thread is “Brooks slaps down Rory”. Why that particular title? Because what he said was clearly disrespectful and everyone knows it. He could of easily of said a hundred different things.

Cos Brooks slaps him down. 🙄

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
As I said earlier, the comment about Rory was only one small part of a larger interview, and in response to the media constantly asking him about Rory, since Rory and Tiger is all they care about. I think his answer was just truthful and not really disrespectful at all. They just blew it up for headlines.

inc0gnito

Assistant Pro
Visit site
As I said earlier, the comment about Rory was only one small part of a larger interview, and in response to the media constantly asking him about Rory, since Rory and Tiger is all they care about. I think his answer was just truthful and not really disrespectful at all. They just blew it up for headlines.

You can still be truthful but show poise and humility too. It doesn’t take much to read between the lines. It came across that he was basically saying Rory was a has-been and unworthy opponent because he hadn’t won a major in a few years. or at least it’s been said in a way that can be clearly construed as such.

He could of easily said something like “Rory’s a great golfer, legend of the game, but I don’t feel any rivalry as my focus has been on majors and he hasn’t produced his best in majors in a while”.

That was just off the top of my head but it’s pretty much what he said but in a much nicer way.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
You can still be truthful but show poise and humility too. It doesn’t take much to read between the lines. It came across that he was basically saying Rory was a has-been and unworthy opponent because he hadn’t won a major in a few years. or at least it’s been said in a way that can be clearly construed as such.

He could of easily said something like “Rory’s a great golfer, legend of the game, but I don’t feel any rivalry as my focus has been on majors and he hasn’t produced his best in majors in a while”.

That was just off the top of my head but it’s pretty much what he said but in a much nicer way.
That might be your perception, possibly because you already didn't like Brooks. I read it more as a "stop asking me about Rory all the time" put-down.

"Legend of the game" :ROFLMAO: as if he would say that!