Brooks - slaps down Rory.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Says Rory isn't a rival, mainly due to him being on Tour coming up to his 5th year and Rory hasn't won a major in that time. Rory last won a major in 2014 without Brooks on Tour, Brooks entered in 2015 and has won four majors.

Says he's world number one and has "open road" ahead of him.

Can't really disagree with his assessment.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Whilst what he says is factually correct it does an incredible lack of class....
Things have a habit of approaching from the rear and taking a bite out of it.

Although in the same interview Brooks also said he loves Rory... so that's nice

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Whilst what he says is factually correct it does an incredible lack of class....
Things have a habit of approaching from the rear and taking a bite out of it.

Yeah, I probably should have linked it. It's not disrespectful when read. Just "factually" correct.

D

Deleted member 15344

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www....sses-talk-rivalry-rory-mcilroy-hasnt-won/amp/

What he says about the Majors is factually correct , but all sport has rivalry’s and Rory is his rival - he may just want to look ahead at the course ahead of him but there will be people behind him wanting to knock him off - that’s sport and Rory not winning a major for 5 years doesn’t change that.

It doesn’t come across great but that’s the written word and you wonder how much is down to sour grapes about not winning the players vote.

Either way as golf fans we could be in for a stellar year If they both really go at it - could be fun to watch

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I can see how Koepka doesn't see McIlroy as a rival in terms of majors. I do think on a week by week basis McIlroy clearly has the ability to still win and so has to be seen by Koepka as a rival on tour events. However as the very top players tend to look at majors as their gauge to progression then McIlroy has clearly slipped behind Brooks in particular

Dibby

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Yeah, I probably should have linked it. It's not disrespectful when read. Just "factually" correct.

It is a bit selective in facts though, Brooks is 29 and Rory is 30. Brooks only just made it to the big tour 5 years ago, when Rory seems like he has been around forever. Rory has 26 wins, 17 on the PGA tour, Brooks has 14, 7 on the PGA. Both have the same number of majors. Rory reached world number 1 aged 22 and stayed there for 95 weeks, Brooks reached it age 28 and so far has held it 31 weeks. Rory won the players this year. Rory twice won the Fedex cup, including beating an in contention Brooks this year.

I'm not a Rory fanboy, or a Brooks hater, but Brooks has clearly cherry-picked his stats, if Rory goes and wins a major next year, does Brooks suddenly become a nobody?

SatchFan

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Sports journalists seem to love to create rivalries. We had the Tiger/Rory rivalry a few years back which never really came to much and now this last year we have two guys who happen to have played a bit better than the rest. Koepka is a pretty blunt interviewee and gives no nonsense answers, giving me the impression that he's not bothered who is chasing him at the top of the leaderboard but if it happens to be Rory then so be it. Need to be a few more head to heads in Majors or WGCs before I would consider it any sort of rivalry. Purely my personal opinion as at the end of the day all the top guys are rivals of some sort.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
I just can't warm to him. he doesn't seem to have anything about him at all. every time I see an interview he's always moaning about something or blowing his own trumpet

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I saw that and thought it was funny. In fairness, the media just pulls that bit out to sensationalise it - "I don't consider Rory a rival." If you read the full comments I think that while Rory hasn't won a major since he's been on tour, which is obviously true, he was also suggesting that golf isn't really a one v one game, you know - he has to beat a whole field of people not just Rory. So to pick one player out of the field as a rival doesn't really make sense. Anyone in the top ten or twenty could be considered a 'rival' by the same logic.

He's just saying that as number 1 he's more focused on staying ahead of the pack, not focused on one particular challenging player.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
I think he’s got a bit of a chip on his shoulder, nothing wrong with that imo.
I can see he’s POV. In the last few years he has been the dominant player when it counts and I’m not sure he’s had quite the same fanfare as Others. DJ and Spieth in particular.

Not sure the others will pay too much attention to it. Also not sure rivalries are quite what they were. In the past being the best brought with it extra riches, nowadays being an anybody earns you plenty. So as much as the media bring it up, the payers don’t really need it to sell themselves.

inc0gnito

Assistant Pro
Visit site
He’s always come across as a bit of a douchebag to me.

Was very disrespectful of Tiger not so long ago.