Broken Clavicle

Tab373

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Hi all I’ve got in to cycling since 1st lock down and unfortunately yesterday after a long climb up a hill I started the decent down the other side. I was doing 35mph when I new the road up ahead was a 90 degree bend. Started to slow and then I had no rear brake. So straight of road over handle bars and ended up in a bramble bush. Bust my clavicle and bruised and cut every part of my body. I’m waiting for the fracture clinic to see me to see if they are going to pin it. But my main point of this post is membership needs renewing 1st April chances are I won’t be playing for the nxt 12 week. Would you pay anyway to support club or not join til fully mended

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Depends on how much were talking here but yeah, I wouldnt pay for something for 12 months knowing I couldnt use it for the first 3 months. I assume they will just pro-rata the rate and let you rejoin late?

Tab373

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Depends on how much were talking here but yeah, I wouldnt pay for something for 12 months knowing I couldnt use it for the first 3 months. I assume they will just pro-rata the rate and let you rejoin late?
£1050 for the year

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
broken mine a few times, most on the Track. Still got a bit of a lump on it from one stack. its a common injury in cycling, TBh none took that long to heal, though i do struggle with a bit of mobility at times, my last one was done in the 90's.

I'd say Join the club again and if it is worse injury and stops you playing most clubs let you defer while you can't play

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Sorry to hear the news.

For me it would very much depends on the clubs set up.

In the past I have paid and not played for 9 months simply because it would have meant another joining fee and the loss of my locker.

As always discuss with the people who really matter i.e. the club's management.

sunshine

Visit site
Friend of mine broke his clavicle playing football. As he recovered, he started putting, then chipping, then pitching. He then started hitting full shots with a shorter smoother swing... the results were so good he kept with it and developed a much more compact and consistent swing. He believes it was the key to improving his golf, his handicap dropped from 7 to 3! Maybe there is a silver lining!

Good luck with the rehab (y)

Beedee

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I had a different health condition, but this time last year I wasn't able to play. Explained things to the club and was put on a sabbatical for a few months. Still on the member list but didn't have to start paying until I was well enough to get out on the course.

Hope the healing goes well.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
As others have said, speak to your club. They won't want to lose you as a member and may be happy to cut a deal whilst you recover. If not then it is over to you, how you find you relationship is with the club, what you think of it etc, but it is worth asking the question.

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Ow, hope the recovery goes well - Lets hope you have a simple break and that normally takes 6-8 weeks of healing time in a triangular sling. Then make sure you get some physiotherapy afterwards to get the mobility back in the shoulder joint area.

As far as membership that would depend on your circumstances;
  • If membership at your place is tight to get in and if you don't then you may not get back in;
  • Is your financial position able to cope with the cost of membership without using it?
I do think speaking to the club about your situation will tip the balance in your decision making, as they may offer an alternative. If you don't ask, you don't get.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Like any injury it will heal in time.
So speak to the club they are run like a business and won’t want to lose 9 months money and your future membership.
Just about to go on my bike so shouldn’t have read this until I came home.;)

Tab373

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Response from club.
You have two options to consider:
  1. Go to a holding membership which is for such incidents. This keeps you as a club member, retains your handicap etc and allows you access to the practice facilities and when ready you can test your fitness out on the course before re-starting your membership. This does come with a charge of £120 which is not refundable and cannot be used as a credit against returning fees. Once you feel you can manage 18 holes then whenever you re-start you will only be charged a pro rata fee until the end of March 2022.
  1. This is not ideal but you can resign and then rejoin at a later stage without having to pay £120. However, this does not entitle you straight back as depending on available tee times for members, the Club may need to consider starting an entry waiting list again.
Have a think and let me know what you would like to do?

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site
Friend of mine broke his clavicle playing football. As he recovered, he started putting, then chipping, then pitching. He then started hitting full shots with a shorter smoother swing... the results were so good he kept with it and developed a much more compact and consistent swing. He believes it was the key to improving his golf, his handicap dropped from 7 to 3! Maybe there is a silver lining!

Good luck with the rehab (y)

?
Every time I had an injury I was always hoping it would force my swing in to a better delivery position or more consistent as a result of the compensation in movement

Still waiting ??

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Response from club.
  1. Go to a holding membership which is for such incidents. This keeps you as a club member, retains your handicap etc and allows you access to the practice facilities and when ready you can test your fitness out on the course before re-starting your membership. This does come with a charge of £120 which is not refundable and cannot be used as a credit against returning fees. Once you feel you can manage 18 holes then whenever you re-start you will only be charged a pro rata fee until the end of March 2022.

1. This is not ideal but you can resign and then rejoin at a later stage without having to pay £120. However, this does not entitle you straight back as depending on available tee times for members, the Club may need to consider starting an entry waiting list again.
That sounds like quite good scheme for this scenario but think £120 is a bit high as for the first 10 weeks or so you won’t be anywhere near a course.
A house membership would be more sensible ours is £40 for a year.
Clubs should look after their members more imo.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Private club or proprietary? I wouldn't be keen to pay and line some individual's pocket.

ExRabbit

Club Champion
Visit site
Response from club.

Pay the £120, and then you know that is all you have to pay to have a practice facility until next March and retain your membership.

Then, if you don't feel able to play 18 holes early on, join a cheap 9-hole course for the rest of the year!