British Par 3 Champs

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Off to Nailcote Hall tomorrow to do some media stuff at the British Par 3 and also going to be around for the first day of the pro event on Wednesday which has a £50,000 prize up for grabs. Interesting mix of names in the pro event, some instantly recognisable and others I've not heard of http://britishpar3.com/score-centre/wed-pro-am-tee-time Won last year by Steven Tilley (http://britishpar3.com/news/steven-tiley-wins-farmfoods-british-par-3-championship! ) and a decent list of former winners (http://britishpar3.com/winners/bp3-winners )

Well worth going if you can get up there and Sky are going to be showing highlights as well. Not looking forward to the 4.00am start but will be a couple of fun days. It's not an easy course by any stretch and well worth playing if you ever get the chance

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
Even though I live nearby I won't be going. It's between Knowle and Coventry.
I played it once about 25 years ago and the only thing I remember was Sid Mouland who was giving a lesson congratulating me on a shot landing inches from the hole.
It's a very small course. I'm wondering how they cope with a crowd.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I played it once about 25 years ago and the only thing I remember was Sid Mouland who was giving a lesson congratulating me on a shot landing inches from the hole.

There are some holes down by the railway line that get very narrow and it makes it hard to move about but they put a grandstand behind the 9th, and crowds can usually walk both sides on the first and the 4th onwards. To be honest we're not talking massive crowds so it isn't usually an issue

Fish

Banned
Visit site

Its had huge investment since you last played it, it even has it's own clubhouse now!

It's excellent for honing in the short game, no hole is straight forward, you've either got to navigate some water, some large established trees, or make sure you're not long and go OOB's. The greens are mainly raised saucer greens so the targets are small so its a great test to learn how to check your ball, and to be fair, the greens are always very good.

It's fun, but it really does get you working your wedges so you can take those half, three quarter and full shots back to your own course.

I only live 5 minutes away but only visit once-twice a year, if I had a minor negative, it's you have to play it off mats, but I fully understand and accept why, other than that, it would be a great bit of fun for a 2-day meet, probably play an 18 hole course nearby and then round it off with 18 holes (2 laps) around Nailcote.

I think it's very deceptive, best I've done is +6/18.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
hows that work when the winning score is usually -10 ish and the pros shoot the flags out with their wedges?

Not seen the scores for the pro event yet but they certainly don't shoot the lights out and usually -8 over two rounds is good enough which when you consider how short the course is for the pros indicates the accuracy required. There will be many famous names over par in this event and having spoken to Michael Campbell and Gary Wolstenholme on Tuesday they definitely don't think its an easy course

EDIT - Sandelin wins on -8 http://britishpar3.com/news/jarmo-sandelin-wins-2019-farmfoods-british-par-3-championship

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 1147

The point Homer, is that unless it’s the US Open, & sometimes The Open, no one wins by hitting greens and 2 putting.
On sub 150 yard holes pros and elite ams have to hit it close and make birdies!