British Masters player support

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Surprised that Hatton is taking a week off rather than play the British Masters, surely with so few events on home soil this is one that the big names should be supporting.

Aware he has had a busy few weeks with the Ryder Cup etc but the BM was only reinstated 3 or 4 years ago after being missing from the calendar for several years.

It needs the names to draw the crowds

Any other “Big” names missing?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Rory and Poulter are the obvious other absentees.
Still a decent field with several Major winners and several other top 50 players.
Maybe the course doesn't suit them..:whistle::unsure::LOL:

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Rory and Poulter are the obvious other absentees.
Still a decent field with several Major winners and several other top 50 players.
Maybe the course doesn't suit them..:whistle::unsure::LOL:

Yeah was gonna say Rory as one that jumps out, is Alex Noren skipping this too?

edit: Oops, Stenson and Rahm too it seems

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
Seriously, cut the guys some slack. This is pretty much the only off-season they get all year. After the whole RyderCup excitement, I bet they are happy to just go home and spend some time with their families.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Can't see him on the start list.
It's been an emotional couple of weeks and some may still be recovering from the after RC party:sick:

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
How many of us would be happy with our boss if he told us we couldn't have time off after a very busy, intense period of work?

Disappointed he's not there but respect his desire for time off.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
How many of us would be happy with our boss if he told us we couldn't have time off after a very busy, intense period of work?

Disappointed he's not there but respect his desire for time off.

If my boss told me i had to work for 28 weeks of the year, but there were certain days i HAD to be in, for the better of the company. I think i could live with it.

D

Deleted member 15344

Each Masters has been missing a lot of the bigger name players - it’s at a time when a lot of the players are on downtime after either the RC or Tour Championship- you cant blame a lot of them for missing it especially after the RC. It’s also not a Rolex Event I think which means the RTD points etc aren’t that big so it’s not really an event alongside the likes of the Irish Open etc also there are the big ET events coming along with the WGC

It still has some top guys -

Rose , Fleetwood , Molinari , Olesen , Fitzpatrick, Donald ,

It was also the same for the past three Masters

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Seriously, cut the guys some slack. This is pretty much the only off-season they get all year. After the whole RyderCup excitement, I bet they are happy to just go home and spend some time with their families.

You're right that these guys have all earned the right to select their schedules (and none of us really work 52 weeks a year) And Hatton kinda had to play last weekend so didn't get a post RC break) Garcia (also missing) is hosting next week so will be wrapped up in that I'm sure

Others... well they're just rich enough to pass on events they don't fancy, take a break with family and target the money (very few of these lads will skip the long-haul trip to China at the end of the month and most will take November and December completely off)

But I think the thread is still valid in that even a 3mill £ purse these days cant get them out of bed ;)

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Golf in England in October!! I think the Dunhill gave a clue as to what the weather could be like.
Purse of just £2m compared to a big events £7m.
It must surely make the big guys think hard.
There must be few that will be at Kuala Lumpur as well purse $7m

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
If my boss told me i had to work for 28 weeks of the year, but there were certain days i HAD to be in, for the better of the company. I think i could live with it.

That would be 28 weeks away from home... hotel bed, small TV, mostly programmes in a foreign language, and and and...

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
That would be 28 weeks away from home... hotel bed, small TV, mostly programmes in a foreign language, and and and...

I grant you there are plenty good reasons for the fellas listed to miss this one out... but I'm not letting you have the one in bold! :LOL:

Wolf

Visit site
Cold damp October morning after a long season playing in a lower purse event, can see why they would choose not to play if they already have their exemptions and save themselves for the warmer weather events. Plus it is a long time to be away from home mentally it can have a big effect

Dasit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
If all the big players played these events the guys at the lower ranks wouldn't be able to make a living

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
i have no issue with the players skipping it. However, i do feel the Poulter, Rose, Donald and Westwood should all have been there for all 4 of the events in the past 4 years. They committed to hosting the event each for a year, so imo they should have been supporting each other at each others events.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
You'd like to think the home guys would support an event in their own country. However with most of the top European players fulfilling schedules on both sides of the Atlantic, there is a lot of golf to play throughout the year.

The PGA tour requirement is 15 regular season event. Not including the 4 majors and 4 WGC events. But obviously if someone like Hatton has a slow few months he could slip outside the top 50 and then he is under pressure to try and fit in additional tournaments.

The European tour had a similar requirement (I think it was 12) but have reduced their requirements to 4 events (including Majors and WGCs).

A lot of guys at the Hatton level have actually suffered trying to keep cards on both American and European tours. It is a big decision as if you were going to play the minimum events... 4 majors, 4 WGCs, 15 US and 4 ET events - that is 27 events but realistically most guys will play additional European events - the Rolex Series. Most will also play a few additional US events because you can't guarantee you will qualify for some of the Fed Ex events (see Jordan Spieth) to fulfill your obligations.

Then you add in a Ryder Cup and the likes of Fleetwood, Hatton, Molinari, Noren, Rahm might be playing 35 out of 52 weeks.

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
Golf in England in October!! I think the Dunhill gave a clue as to what the weather could be like.

Apart from 9am to 11am on Sunday the Dunhill weather was dry all week - and it was sunny each afternoon on most days

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
i just saw a UK weather forcast and it said 23 deg down south... don't get it much higher than that here in the middle of summer;)