Bring back the 3rd round cut

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Perth

Shows how much pressure having a 3rd round cut can bring on.

It could be the top 40 players. With 3rd round cut players winning something.

Out in twos, later starts and earlier finishes for the final round. Particularly at the Masters. Should also get round times down.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Frustrated to watch Rumford tumble down the leader board with a +6 round after winning last year and being right up the leaderboard this as he uses the club to practice from time to time and is a nice chap to talk to about all things golf (and loves his cricket). This Super 6 is a different format but I wouldn't like to see a regular third round cut. Quite interesting a lot of the time to watch a few make a charge on moving day

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
They had a 3rd round cut a couple of weeks back i think.
They had too many tied on the cut line so knocked a dozen or so off after 3 rounds.
Happens more regularly on the PGA I believe..

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
From what i understand it isn't used for several reasons.

1) A lot of the pros really do not want to be out playing a 3rd round when they've had a nightmare couple of days and not going to make the cut anyway. SO what's the fun for the fans watching a pro going through the motions just to finish his 3rd round.

2) The lower level players have more chance of making a cut over 2 rounds than over 3 so more chance of making some money from the weekend. The better players will normally rise to the top and more likely to have 2 good rounds out of 3, so making it more difficult for the lower players to get ahead of them and make the cut.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
From what i understand it isn't used for several reasons.

1) A lot of the pros really do not want to be out playing a 3rd round when they've had a nightmare couple of days and not going to make the cut anyway. SO what's the fun for the fans watching a pro going through the motions just to finish his 3rd round.

2) The lower level players have more chance of making a cut over 2 rounds than over 3 so more chance of making some money from the weekend. The better players will normally rise to the top and more likely to have 2 good rounds out of 3, so making it more difficult for the lower players to get ahead of them and make the cut.

Re 1) if they have had a nightmare couple of days they probably have missed the 2nd round cut anyway.

re 2) Perth showed that even the good players have bad days and can miss a third round cut. Players making it in to the 3rd round get payed.