Brexit - or Article 50: the Phoenix!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Second referendum; irrespective of the validity of asking for it, who is asking for it? Has there been any of the headline Leavers saying "now we have more information, we need to review this."

Personally, I'm ambivalent to it. Given the opportunity I'd vote Remain again, and I expect Remain would win because of all the propaganda.

But for those who hang their hat on old people will have died and more young people would vote. Factually correct but you're hanging your hat on old people dying... Mmm, nice.

Some maths to contemplate on that one. Just under 600,000 people die a year. That's 1,500,000 people will have died in the last 2.5 years. Not all of them fall into the old people band but for the sake of this example, 1.3m fall into that band. 71% of old people voted Leave = just over 800,000 Leave voters. Some of the new voters, basing it around the demographic at the younger end, would vote Leave. Then consider the flip-flop voters. Remain may well win but by such a small number you're talking 50.01%-ish 'v' 49.99%-ish.

Using the stereotyping, whether its factual or otherwise, think about the social unrest that there's been in the last 40 years. The Brits don't do social unrest very well, apart from a strongly worded letter to their paper of choice. However, think Poll tax riots. Who rioted? Which end of the social ladder rioted? And then ask a question, based on the demographics of who voted Leave, would there be riots?

And then there's the "we'll never vote again brigade." Laugh at it if you want but what happens when the divide between governors and the governed becomes too great? There's plenty of examples out there, albeit not in Britain. Even now in a very stable, civilised society like France serious social unrest, a hell of a lot more than you're seeing on the Beeb, is prevalent.

What a mess!

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Can anyone explain why the vote of the new young voters [after 2016] is massively in favour of staying.
BTW I still think it was poor form not to allow 16 year olds a vote in the referendum.

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
What he said... https://www.theguardian.com/comment...ry-values-conservative-party-repellent-brexit (and he is a Tory before it is dismissed as lefty Guardian propaganda)

Especially likes the bit "a party cravenly fetishising the 2016 referendum as if no further expression of popular opinion on Brexit were possible; behaving as if the only thing that matters is to get out of the EU by 29 March, regardless of the overwhelming empirical evidence that there is no viable deal, and that a no-deal exit would be a total catastrophe (necessitating, among many other unpleasant measures, a framework for martial law)." Sounds familiar from reading a few posts on here.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
What he said... https://www.theguardian.com/comment...ry-values-conservative-party-repellent-brexit (and he is a Tory before it is dismissed as lefty Guardian propaganda)

Especially likes the bit "a party cravenly fetishising the 2016 referendum as if no further expression of popular opinion on Brexit were possible; behaving as if the only thing that matters is to get out of the EU by 29 March, regardless of the overwhelming empirical evidence that there is no viable deal, and that a no-deal exit would be a total catastrophe (necessitating, among many other unpleasant measures, a framework for martial law)." Sounds familiar from reading a few posts on here.

Makes you wonder how the rest of the world survives, or maybe it’s totally lawless, warring nations fighting each other for scraps of unleavened bread.

I don’t subscribe any political bias to it, I just think it’s as stupid as my comment above. Hysteria on steroids.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
So it seems there will be no fresh food on supermarket shelves if no deal goes through.

And no medicines. All travel outside of the UK will be stopped. Boats will queue up at Dover. What a crock of sh!t, and people are latching on to it because its what they want to hear and believe, and it supports their argument.

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
And no medicines. All travel outside of the UK will be stopped. Boats will queue up at Dover. What a crock of sh!t, and people are latching on to it because its what they want to hear and believe, and it supports their argument.

OK, this is starting to get serious.

If there is even a hint that my ability to purchase Acqua Panna is under threat, I'm off to Parliament Sq with my banner...

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Can anyone explain why the vote of the new young voters [after 2016] is massively in favour of staying.
BTW I still think it was poor form not to allow 16 year olds a vote in the referendum.

...did you see the "teacher" who spoke at the Labour Conference? That's why.

And as the outcome of this impacts the next 100 years, new born babies should vote too... they have a bigger stake in it than 60 year olds:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

D

Deleted member 18121

you've got to award the media a B+ for effort on the daily, relentless fear tactics. Trying to hit people exactly where it hurts on the off chance that there is another vote and people are so scared of the world imploding that they'll vote how they want us to.

Laughable.

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
... as there is no impact on my Single Malt (locally produce) and Cigars (my American friends get me my supplies).. i say we leave without a deal. Who goes to Lidl anyways?

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
We buy most of our generic medicines from uk seemingly .. stock piling now .. im relying on ye lot leaving for a new job . Stil think ye nuts but hurry up im sick of d car business 😆😆

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Dx-75xjU8AECvjV.jpg:large

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
...did you see the "teacher" who spoke at the Labour Conference? That's why.

And as the outcome of this impacts the next 100 years, new born babies should vote too... they have a bigger stake in it than 60 year olds:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

No I did not see the teacher at the conference.
Pity I missed it as he/she must have been a hell of a speaker to influence over a million youngsters.:cautious:

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
you've got to award the media a B+ for effort on the daily, relentless fear tactics. Trying to hit people exactly where it hurts on the off chance that there is another vote and people are so scared of the world imploding that they'll vote how they want us to.

Laughable.

I'm bookmarking that one for Scots IndyRef2 (y)

Status
Not open for further replies.