Breaking 80 (@people who have done it)

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I played against a +2 last week, and a couple of 4 handicaps this weekend just passed. All off scratch. The difference in short game was noticeable, but the difference in distance was remarkable. I’m no slouch I can get it out there and will rarely be out driven by much as a rule. But the +2 was massive. Different league distance. It’s such an advantage. I do think and it’s backed up by the data that if you want to get lower you have to get longer. Be that increasing swing speed or better quality of strike, it’s that over short game that will make the most difference. Everyone knows that old coffin dodger at the club who plays off 2 and only hits it 200 cos his short game is mustard. He has had a lifetime of Cat 1 experience. If you don’t - get longer. You can’t use him as an example imo. Bless him.

CountLippe

Visit site
I played against a +2 last week, and a couple of 4 handicaps this weekend just passed. All off scratch. The difference in short game was noticeable, but the difference in distance was remarkable. I’m no slouch I can get it out there and will rarely be out driven by much as a rule. But the +2 was massive. Different league distance. It’s such an advantage. I do think and it’s backed up by the data that if you want to get lower you have to get longer. Be that increasing swing speed or better quality of strike, it’s that over short game that will make the most difference. Everyone knows that old coffin dodger at the club who plays off 2 and only hits it 200 cos his short game is mustard. He has had a lifetime of Cat 1 experience. If you don’t - get longer. You can’t use him as an example imo. Bless him.

Distance is unattainable to many golfers - whether that be through fitness / technique / strength.

I literally play at 80% because if I swing any harder I don't know where the ball is going to go.

Short game and putting are low hanging fruit - most golfers can get to a good standard.

tomshanks

Hacker
Visit site
Not seen many people mentioning a good slice of luck. I've broken 80 many times over the last few years and what I've noticed is that luck plays a big part.

Yes you've got to keep the ball in play and have a reasonable short game but you also have to avoid the dodgy bounces, rubbish lies and lipped out putts.

DrMac

Visit site
How long did it take you?

Probably my 2nd or 3rd season, but around the age of 12/13

More importantly how long did it take you to repeat it?

Probably not that long, the course was a par 70 (sss 68) and that was the season I started to get my handicap down.

And what’s the best piece of advice you would give someone breaking through this holy grail milestone for the average joe?

You will hear a lot of people telling you to play ultra safe and keep the driver in the bag, which I don't get. The driver these days is one of the easiest clubs to hit and will give you a vital distance advantage over utilities, long irons or even woods. If you are not breaking 80 hitting shorter irons into the green then it will be very hard to do it with longer ones. The better advice regarding the driver is to find a swing/shot that gives you a good balance between length and accuracy.

I think a more proactive piece of course management advice would be to think about where to miss with approach shots and what shots to hit into greens so that you are not left short sided, with very difficult up and downs.

And in general try and work out what is going on with your game. Where do you lose shots? work on those areas.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Distance is unattainable to many golfers - whether that be through fitness / technique / strength.

I literally play at 80% because if I swing any harder I don't know where the ball is going to go.

Short game and putting are low hanging fruit - most golfers can get to a good standard.

If it’s fitness, technique or strength holding someone back, those can usually be worked on. I weight 9 stone soaking wet and an 5’8, but I get it out there when the good contact and speed borne out of flexibility rather than brute strength. Ok, some people are hamstrung with injury, old age, illness etc but the vast majority of golfers I play with could be stronger, more flexible, fitter and have better technique if they wanted to. Which they don’t. But the OP wants to break 80, and you won’t get there by standing still. If you want to get better - work at it. Sacrifice the sausage rolls. Get lessons. Do something.

( Not aimed at you obviously I have no idea what your situation is!)

I’m just saying distance can be gained by most people except in extreme circumstances. I could certainly do with putting on muscle. But that’s my choice. I’m happy the standard I’m at with as little time I have for practice. If you’re not - gaining distance is usually not impossible

Albo

Visit site
A lot of this discussion depends on a few things, the level of golf you want to get to, the length and difficulty of the course your playing etc.
I’d argue to break 80 you don’t need to be huge off the tee unless the course is long, 225 to 250 off the tee should see most able to break 80 on a course under 6300 assuming the rest of your game is of a requisite quality.
If you’re looking to get down to low single figures or trying to break 80 on course upwards of 6300 yards then you likely need more distance.

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
Golf is a game of luck, inspiration, technique and good judgement.
Plus perspiration.
In that order I suspect.

A few things to remember:
What works on the range won't work on the course.
What worked on the course yesterday won't work on the course today.

Start with a few basic swing thoughts, then reduce them to just one or two when starting the round.
Mechanical swings never work for long.
Play the percentage shot if in trouble, even if it means sending the ball back.

Don't rely on what someone else tells you.
Your swing is unique to you.
Trying to copy the swing of a top player never works for long either.

Best tip: learn the correct grip, usually the Vardon overlap.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Every time I've broke it it's because my driving, irons and putting have been great. My short game has always been poor and that's probably the key for me to break 80 constantly

Trodski

Visit site
Keeping it in play off the tee is for me the biggest key.

Short game can only get you so far imo.

My arccos stats back this up.

If I have a reasonable driving day I.e not lose a ball and not in the trees I’ll break 80
E289BE60-66E6-45F9-863B-67FA27EE12A8.jpeg

DrMac

Visit site
What works on the range won't work on the course.

Not sure I agreed with any of your post but this seemed like particularly bad advice. One of the only reliable ways to get better is to find a coach you like and work hard on the drills and techniques they teach you. It will not be the case that you will flush every shot when back on the course but over time you will increase the frequency with which you hit good shots if you put in the hours on the range.

Golfnut1957

Visit site
Not seen many people mentioning a good slice of luck. I've broken 80 many times over the last few years and what I've noticed is that luck plays a big part.

Yes you've got to keep the ball in play and have a reasonable short game but you also have to avoid the dodgy bounces, rubbish lies and lipped out putts.
Driving is the key for me, find the fairways, and I'm giving myself a chanced. However, I have always said that all of my best rounds (shot a 2 over 73 earlier this month - for context) have involved that slice of luck. So when I go into the trees instead of being under low-hanging branches or at the base of said tree I actually have a line to the pin and can take a full swing. The ball bounces unexpectedly back into the fairway not the trees, the ball bounces over the bunker not in it.
I'm not saying that good scores are only achieved by good luck, but the reduction in the bad breaks goes a long way to helping.

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
I have not broken 80, but my handicap of 12.4 is the lowest I have been. I can consistently score in the mid to low 80's but not break that barrier.

Played yesterday and started well with GIR on the first 4 holes, all pars. Then a bogey on our SI 1 hole followed by 2 more pars. At +1 after 8 I thought today was going to be the day, but then reverted to my usual form, with a mix of bogeys and doubles, ending up in the mid 80s.

Holding such a start together is obviously the key, although ironically I usually score better on our back 9. That front 9 was easily me best ever since I joined.

CountLippe

Visit site
I have not broken 80, but my handicap of 12.4 is the lowest I have been. I can consistently score in the mid to low 80's but not break that barrier.

Played yesterday and started well with GIR on the first 4 holes, all pars. Then a bogey on our SI 1 hole followed by 2 more pars. At +1 after 8 I thought today was going to be the day, but then reverted to my usual form, with a mix of bogeys and doubles, ending up in the mid 80s.

Holding such a start together is obviously the key, although ironically I usually score better on our back 9. That front 9 was easily me best ever since I joined.

What is the cause of the doubles? are you compounding errors of the tee, poor short game or just duffed shots?

Mike79

Visit site
Before my son was born (2008) I was playing 5-6 rounds a week and regularly broke 80... Everything was clicking and the game felt easy, and got my handicap into single figures. Only got back into regular golf this season and after a few lessons and with a 19.9 handicap broke 90 last week with an 88 (included a triple on a par 3 and on a par 5). Handicap cut to 18.3. Now targeting 85, then 80...

I've had some horror rounds this year - many 3 off the tee and 3 putts. Friday's round had no 3 off the tee, only 1 3 putt and used the same ball the whole round. Mistakes were trying to hit par 5s in 2 and cocking up the 3 wood, when 7 iron and wedge would have given a better outcome.

So for me...

1. Keep your drive in play
  2. Leave missed putts a makeable distance (and don't leave them short!)
  3. Target GIR, unless you have a real chance of making it

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Playing with wooden woods, tee shots are more of a factor for me than most.
If I'm having a poor day with the driver (which happens more often than I'd care to admit) then a good score is impossible, whatever state the rest of my play is in.

Visit site
Playing with a +2 lad who has won the club champs at our club was a learning experience for me.

He was an absolute master of leaving himself easy putts.

Say he had a 15 footer, across a slope and also fast/downhill - he almost accepted that the first putt wouldn’t go in, but he’d always leave himself a dead straight uphill putt for the 2nd putt. Even if he was 4 foot on the low side, he was never going to miss any of those putts.

I’m sure many mid handicappers are guilty of seeing a birdie chance and racing it 5ft past, leaving themselves a nightmare putt with lots of break. Turning a birdie chance into a bogey ?

Likewise, he missed in all the right spots - almost on purpose? Say the pin is tucked back right, missing long or right has no future. He’d miss left - leaving a simple up and down. No dramas, just solid golf and brilliant course management.

A good example is our 2nd hole. Par 5, but a good drive leaves little more than a short iron for most low handicappers. For mid handicappers, they will lay up and have a wedge in. If the flag is front left, you have almost 0 chance of getting close. A lot of mid handicappers go for the pin, end 30ft past and then have a treacherous downhill putt and either degreen it, or dolly it well short…

The properly good players? They would go a few yards short of the green (yes, removing a chance at an albatross entirely) with their approach, leaving a simple uphill 2 putt for a birdie. Some will hole their putt. You’re likely to end up there anyway if you go past the pin, so might as well go there on purpose for 1 shot fewer. It’s amazingly easy from short left, compared to long left.

Due to the green speeds at our place, strategy is super important and ensuring you’re always playing uphill around the greens makes it a lot simpler and less stressful.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Say he had a 15 footer, across a slope and also fast/downhill - he almost accepted that the first putt wouldn’t go in, but he’d always leave himself a dead straight uphill putt for the 2nd putt. Even if he was 4 foot on the low side, he was never going to miss any of those putts.

I’m sure many mid handicappers are guilty of seeing a birdie chance and racing it 5ft past, leaving themselves a nightmare putt with lots of break. Turning a birdie chance into a bogey ?
Playing devil's advocate - one man's "leaving himself uphill putts" is another man's "consistently under-read the break and missed on the low side". ? It does suggest he got the pace moderately correct though.

On the rest of your post on missing in the easier spots - I try and do this, but my scope for missing left or right is obviously bigger than the guy you're talking about. I could aim for middle of the green and easily miss it 10 yards left or 10 yards right. So it's not quite as simple as suggesting to someone 'miss it in the right place'. Long and short you can as that's more about club selection.

HeftyHacker

Visit site
I went out last night with a card in hand and determined to play proper "medal/sensible" golf - which I rarely do. I ended up breaking 80 for the first time this year after having a torrid time of it recently.

Things I think I noted that made a difference:

1) I drove well and this made it much easier - having a short-mid iron from a fairway lie is far better than a long iron out the long stuff or having to play to get back in position.
2) Being sensible around the greens - If I was shortsided or had a tricky tucked pin I just aimed for the biggest part of the green and trusted my putting to get down in 2, therefore restricting the damage from a duffed chip into a bunker or skulling one across. Our greens are fairly small so you're never too far from the pin doing this.
3) Linked to the above - I'm not the best green reader in the world but I'd say i'm a pretty good judge of pace. This means that unless I've read it horribly wrong I'm generally within 3 or 4 feet with my second putt.
4) Tried to avoid trouble - seems obvious but an example of this is a couple of our greens have bunkers that "pinch" either side of the front of the green. so depending on the pin position i was either aiming for the back of the green where there was no trouble or just aiming for the very front of the green and not bringing them into play. leaving myelf with a putt through the fringe or a more straightforward chip.