Boris the PM - a new beginning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
If you want "classy," Police meant to be investigating the effigies hanging from bridge in Manchester. Folk following the specific guidance of Jon McDonnell. Maybe he should be in the dock?

Mind you, his boss acted rather strangely after the Tory Conference in 1984. I guess that's the sort of folk we are dealing with

Jings there is no doubt that you are the top man of whataboutry

U

User62651

Well, if you can't win at the Ballot Box, you need to try circumvent it by other means.... ;)

Brexiteers are circumventing what was voted on in 2016 too, they were offered a deal to leave the EU and rejected it for a harder Brexit that was not on the cards in 2016. It simply asked Leave or Remain, nothing more. May's deal had us as no longer a member state of EU, so it was leaving. Johnson and Rees-Mogg both voted for May's deal 3rd time round too. They've changed their minds clearly now BJ has wormed his way into power (of sorts), perhaps lots of other people have changed their minds too. Let's find out!(y)

D

Deleted member 16999

Jings there is no doubt that you are the top man of whataboutry
Totally agree.

I also agree McDonnell and Corbyn should of been in the “dock” years ago, but was confused how his answer deflected from the classy comment.

Must mean boris has always acted with class:rolleyes:

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Brexiteers are circumventing what was voted on in 2016 too, they were offered a deal to leave the EU and rejected it for a harder Brexit that was not on the cards in 2016. It simply asked Leave or Remain, nothing more. May's deal had us as no longer a member state of EU, so it was leaving. Johnson and Rees-Mogg both voted for May's deal 3rd time round too. They've changed their minds clearly now BJ has wormed his way into power (of sorts), perhaps lots of other people have changed their minds too. Let's find out!(y)

Are you saying that any deal, even a bad deal should be accepted? I have no problem with any deal being knocked back if its deemed to be a bad deal. And don't forget, the vast majority of MP's are Remainers, and its pretty obvious from the numbers that voted against May's deal that it was Remainers, not Brexiteers that kicked it back.

I'm all for the people deciding. Let there be a GE, and lets see where the country stands. Didn't that happen in June '16?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Having just spent a week in Scotland I did not sense any love for Johnson and such as Rees-Mogg and the rest of his ilk. Indeed I was really surprised at what a couple we met up with told me.

Originally from Barrhead - Jim and Maggie had lived in England for many moons - Jim having a successful career with Shell - until 3 years ago when on retiring they moved from Guildford to Haddington. Jim told me that - although he was by inclination and previous voting a Conservative - with Johnson, Brexit and the mess in Westminster and what he was hearing - his heart was telling him to vote Yes in a future indy ref. He could not really believe his feelings - though he would still ask any Yes Campaign - 'show me the numbers'.

Now if Jim and Maggie are in any way representative of at least a good proportion of professional couples then the Unionists have problems.

And others? Well when the Supreme Court judgment was made I was walking just off Leith Walk and listening to the radio - I mentioned the outcome to my wife. A young mum with child in pram we were walking past overheard - and (in the open way of many Scots :) ) - stopped me and asked me if the judgement was made. I confirmed and she cheered and said some other words that cannot be repeated here. Her dislike of Johnson and the Conservatives was not hidden...And at that we parted ways.

Of course - just a couple of random views - but views from quite far apart on the age and socio-economic spectrums. And maybe not very representative - but it appears that Johnson and the Brexiacs will take a punt on it - and I think that most Scots believe that they don't actually care about the concerns of Yoonies - or indeed that much about Scotland.

I should note that Scotland's capital did not vote representative of all of Scotland in the EU referendum - with 74% voting to Remain...indeed the douce citizens of Morningside voted 90% Remain :)

I know what the Yes/No polls are saying - but just a couple of observations on underlying feelings that may not yet be fully manifest.

Last edited:

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
You mean he's had time to think up an excuse 🤣
Besides he has a bit more than that to worry about now.
Actually, I think the reason was always fairly plain, but BJ's personality is such that he c/wouldn't admit that the blunder of his bluster about 'humbug' comment was poorly 'timed'. It seems, to me, likely that making that (humbug) comment had been pre-planned and he was waiting for an 'appropriate' time to use it as a reply. He just didn't get the 'appropriate' timing right!

Oh, and FWIW, I believe there'll be some more daft comments by him - until he learns to resist 'off the cuff' replies.

Last edited:
U

User62651

Are you saying that any deal, even a bad deal should be accepted? I have no problem with any deal being knocked back if its deemed to be a bad deal. And don't forget, the vast majority of MP's are Remainers, and its pretty obvious from the numbers that voted against May's deal that it was Remainers, not Brexiteers that kicked it back.

I'm all for the people deciding. Let there be a GE, and lets see where the country stands. Didn't that happen in June '16?

No easy answers, guess that's why we are where we are. Water under bridge but May blew her working majority in Commons with a gamble GE that backfired on her. Govt problems really started there. Why did she lose that majority - lots of conjecture about it which we could all argue about, I think the young vote finally mobilised and that was largely anti Brexit.
Unconvinced a GE will solve this, a sample poll lead in overall voting intention doesn't extrapolate into Commons seats numbers with FPTP. 2017 proved that.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
No easy answers, guess that's why we are where we are. Water under bridge but May blew her working majority in Commons with a gamble GE that backfired on her. Govt problems really started there. Why did she lose that majority - lots of conjecture about it which we could all argue about, I think the young vote finally mobilised and that was largely anti Brexit.
Unconvinced a GE will solve this, a sample poll lead in overall voting intention doesn't extrapolate into Commons seats numbers with FPTP. 2017 proved that.

I think you're right on your last 2 points. Corbyn mobilised the young, but also with the added promises on tuition fees. The next GE will almost certainly revolve around Brexit, which is a shame as there are so many other issues. Will it be a hung parliament because of that? I think you could be right but with 30+% of Labour voters previously voting Leave, who will they vote for? And that's without the polarising impact of a Corbyn/far left leadership. 20+% of LibDems voted Leave, who will they vote for? Is the hard stance on Brexit good for the LibDems? And over 60% of Tories voted Leave, and where will their next vote go?

Hung Parliament, probably. But there's also some room for big swings in there. I wouldn't bet on anything.

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
Nope and providing there was no sexual assault or breaking of any law why is it news. I thought the days of people claiming these things had come to an end by the so called respected media without proof. These sort of allegations have cost us via the BBC a lot of money.
Still inappropriate behaviour. It not an allegation made on the BBC either.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Nope and providing there was no sexual assault or breaking of any law why is it news. I thought the days of people claiming these things had come to an end by the so called respected media without proof. These sort of allegations have cost us via the BBC a lot of money.
so women who get touched up should keep quite about it?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Not sure I said that but if that's your take and floats your boat crack on.
you are calling into question her motives and if it even happened and asking why its news?

its news because the guy is PM, how do you know it wasn't brought up at the time?

the guy is a well known philander, and people should be made aware this type of behavior is not accepetable and the his isn't just a misunderstood buffoon

Status
Not open for further replies.