Boris has Covid 19

U

User62651

OK, so we cant do anything else.

Could be so unfortunately.
Is the stat just 1 in 10 UK crimes are solved, before this pandemic? No-one's fault, just lawbreakers are numerous and crafty and police numbers/resources are low. Many crimes are one person's word v another's. Lawyers are also good at exploiting legal loopholes. UNder 18S are notoriously protected from prosecution and 'know their rights'.

D

Deleted member 16999

OK, so we cant do anything else.
I gave you a sensible answer a few posts back, you didn’t like them, what else do want? Shall we bring back public floggings and reintroduce National Service? That’ll teach em!

MegaSteve

Tour Winner
Visit site
If you 'phone the police reporting a 'real' crime (like you've been burgled) at best you'll get a number to quote to your insurers... Big help? Whoopee do not! No surprise on the spot fines for civil disobedience won't be popular...

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Left work about 5.00pm tonight (at least I've been on double bubble all day) and passed a park to see a full blown football game going on. Quite easy. Arrest them, process them and then defer community service until this all passes and everybody else is out of lockdown and then force them to spend their weekends working off however many hours are given. I don't seen that as punishment per se more a reminder that had they played by the rules at the time they'd be like everyone else and enjoying their freedom again.

I got myself in a bit of bother at one point. Nothing major but did something wrong, went to court and got fined. Didn't see it as wrong. It wasn't the fine that was the deterrent but the actual arrest and getting banged up for a few hours while it was processed. I imagine for most, none will have been in trouble (or too much) and it may have the same effect

D

Deleted member 16999

Left work about 5.00pm tonight (at least I've been on double bubble all day) and passed a park to see a full blown football game going on. Quite easy. Arrest them, process them and then defer community service until this all passes and everybody else is out of lockdown and then force them to spend their weekends working off however many hours are given. I don't seen that as punishment per se more a reminder that had they played by the rules at the time they'd be like everyone else and enjoying their freedom again.

I got myself in a bit of bother at one point. Nothing major but did something wrong, went to court and got fined. Didn't see it as wrong. It wasn't the fine that was the deterrent but the actual arrest and getting banged up for a few hours while it was processed. I imagine for most, none will have been in trouble (or too much) and it may have the same effect
All nice words and sounds simple, do you have any idea of how many Police and vehicles it would take to round up, arrest, transport, process, holding cells etc for 22 people?

Will the Police have PPE in case any of the 22 have the virus?

What other tasks will get a lower priority while the Police are running around the field catching them?

All genuine questions and happy for any serving or ex-copper to advise?

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
All nice words and sounds simple, do you have any idea of how many Police and vehicles it would take to round up, arrest, transport, process, holding cells etc for 22 people?

Will the Police have PPE in case any of the 22 have the virus?

What other tasks will get a lower priority while the Police are running around the field catching them?

All genuine questions and happy for any serving or ex-copper to advise?

So do nothing then? And if you do nothing enough times what will the public's response be?

Issue fixed penalty notices to them. Any get a strop on arrest them - you don't have to arrest all 22 to get the message across. Even if only 2 are arrested how many of the others will turn out for a game next time? And just imagine what message is sent out if there were several arrested.

I 'get' where you're coming from, all valid points but if there's no law applied you're only a short step away from anarchy.

D

Deleted member 16999

So do nothing then? And if you do nothing enough times what will the public's response be?

Issue fixed penalty notices to them. Any get a strop on arrest them - you don't have to arrest all 22 to get the message across. Even if only 2 are arrested how many of the others will turn out for a game next time? And just imagine what message is sent out if there were several arrested.

I 'get' where you're coming from, all valid points but if there's no law applied you're only a short step away from anarchy.
I’m asking because I don’t know Bri.

Not once have I said do nothing.

I prefer to hear from actual Police (or ex-Police) about the realities of the job rather than posting what on the face it of it are simple sound bytes.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I’m asking because I don’t know Bri.

Not once have I said do nothing.

I prefer to hear from actual Police (or ex-Police) about the realities of the job rather than posting what on the face it of it are simple sound bytes.

Think about how a football match is policed, Stadium of Light or the Riverside. Football matches are policed every week of the season. An operation like that in a few hotspots will achieve quite a bit in terms of getting a message out there. Engaging with the general public works, people move on. But there's a core element that doesn't appear to understand what's in front of them. I'm not saying go in mob handed and arrest 20 or 30 people. Be seen on, say, Brighton sea front to pick up 4 people. Take them back to the station and issue a fixed penalty notice and release them straight away. It doesn't have to be a full on booking into the cells for a message to go out.

Its fairly obvious from the pictures of parks and sea side towns that the current approach doesn't seem to be working that well.

D

Deleted member 16999

Think about how a football match is policed, Stadium of Light or the Riverside. Football matches are policed every week of the season. An operation like that in a few hotspots will achieve quite a bit in terms of getting a message out there. Engaging with the general public works, people move on. But there's a core element that doesn't appear to understand what's in front of them. I'm not saying go in mob handed and arrest 20 or 30 people. Be seen on, say, Brighton sea front to pick up 4 people. Take them back to the station and issue a fixed penalty notice and release them straight away. It doesn't have to be a full on booking into the cells for a message to go out.

Its fairly obvious from the pictures of parks and sea side towns that the current approach doesn't seem to be working that well.
Don’t disagree, but that’s not what the Police are being told to do.

I answered Homer’s scenario to find out what that would take, you changed the scenario and the answer to yours would obviously be different to his.

Bluewolf posted on the other thread about reporting a party and look at the outcome of that.

Therefore the issue is with the Government and how they are instructing the Police to deal with these matters, therefore until that changes all these posts that suggest we round people up and give them heavy fines and jail terms or community orders etc are a waste of time.

If people feel that strongly about it they should be addressing their anger to those in charge of the Police.

Idiots will be idiots in any scenario, but, as previously stated, they can’t expect the Police to do anything about it with one hand tied behind their backs.

We may end up with the Military being mobilised to help the Police, obviously something needs to be done.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
There is a great difference between arresting people and putting them in cells to handing out fixed penalties. It's not a complex procedure, when I was pulled up by two policemen with a hand held speed radar it didnt seem to be much of a problem to give me a £60 fixed penalty.

Some people seem to think this is a big problem and tend to exaggerate it so every case would be an arrest and night in the cells. I think in reality there would be hardly any of them, how often does this happen with parking and speed traps.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Don’t disagree, but that’s not what the Police are being told to do.

I answered Homer’s scenario to find out what that would take, you changed the scenario and the answer to yours would obviously be different to his.

Bluewolf posted on the other thread about reporting a party and look at the outcome of that.

Therefore the issue is with the Government and how they are instructing the Police to deal with these matters, therefore until that changes all these posts that suggest we round people up and give them heavy fines and jail terms or community orders etc are a waste of time.

If people feel that strongly about it they should be addressing their anger to those in charge of the Police.

Idiots will be idiots in any scenario, but, as previously stated, they can’t expect the Police to do anything about it with one hand tied behind their backs.

We may end up with the Military being mobilised to help the Police, obviously something needs to be done.
Are you not listening or dont you want to. We all know what happens now but some of us are saying the government should make the penalties harsher and give the police the powers to apply them but not for looking in shopping bags etc.

I dont think anyone is blaming the police.

D

Deleted member 16999

Are you not listening or dont you want to. We all know what happens now but some of us are saying the government should make the penalties harsher and give the police the powers to apply them but not for looking in shopping bags etc.

I dont think anyone is blaming the police.
Really? So nobody suggesting what the Police should be doing and asking why they aren’t?

Have you read Homers scenario and his suggestion what should happen? I simply asked the questions that occurred to me!

Maybe you’d of preferred I’d of just agreed with him and suggested adding a water cannon to the raid on the football pitch!

You’re not criticising the Government are you?:eek:

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Every media platform we have is sending out a very clear message......

Stay home, Stay safe, Save lives

I don't believe anyone doesn't understand that but still they go out because they're allowed to.
I suspect next week they won't be

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Really? So nobody suggesting what the Police should be doing and asking why they aren’t?

Have you read Homers scenario and his suggestion what should happen? I simply asked the questions that occurred to me!

Maybe you’d of preferred I’d of just agreed with him and suggested adding a water cannon to the raid on the football pitch!

You’re not criticising the Government are you?:eek:
Its not time for smart Alex comments. I think the government are doing a very difficult job and managing it quite well, however I think there could have been improvements. Harsher penalties for social distancing is one so that we dont all have to be screwed right down due to a small number of idiots. We should have been tighter with people coming through immigration right from the start and inisted them going onto quaranteen. I had a conversation with my cousin in NZ this week and they did this early, they have had only one death, I know its smaller population but they have been stricter than us.

D

Deleted member 16999

Its not time for smart Alex comments. I think the government are doing a very difficult job and managing it quite well, however I think there could have been improvements. Harsher penalties for social distancing is one so that we dont all have to be screwed right down due to a small number of idiots. We should have been tighter with people coming through immigration right from the start and inisted them going onto quaranteen. I had a conversation with my cousin in NZ this week and they did this early, they have had only one death, I know its smaller population but they have been stricter than us.
I knew I’d regret talking to you! Smart alex comments, take a look in the mirror! Bye.:rolleyes: