Books - what are you reading just now?

• Thread starter Deleted Member 1156
  • Start date

Paperboy

Mini Cam
Visit site
Hi Kaz....have tried to find him in our library's new computer system (bloody useless)!!
Can you stick up some book titles please?
Might make it easier to find the guy's penwork:unsure:
Cheers and a happy one to you!!:love:

Try the website below. Fantastic fiction, type in the author you are after and it will give you a list of all their titles.

www.fantasticfiction.com

RichA

Visit site
So have caught up with the Jack Reacher and Mitch Rapp series of books so looking for something else to start, any suggestions ?
Ta.
The Travis McGee series by John D. MacDonald will keep you occupied for several months. Sort of a Reacher type character, but set in the 60s, 70s and 80s and he doesn't leave nearly as many bodies in his wake. Great verbal portrayal of Florida.
Classic drifter/equaliser stuff.

toyboy54

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Kaz, LT, Paperboy, Spongebob59..........Thanks for the help folks!!
Now this simple soul understands why he couldn't find any books by 'THE AUTHOR-JON REZNICK'-Doh:confused::whistle:
Maybe I'll get on with the NEW system at the library now that I know what to look for??:LOL:

toyboy54

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
South. The story of Ernest Shackleton’s expedition to Antarctica in 1914/15. I’ve read it before but a long time ago. Incredible tale of hardship and survival.

Just about to start getting into 'The Endurance'-Shackleton's Legendary Antarctic Expidition by Caroline Alexander nd Photography by Frank Hurley.
Astonishing recovered photography and the diaries of the crew members about what happened.
Jeez, these guys' had massive cojones knowing (or not) what was going to happen to them!!

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just about to start getting into 'The Endurance'-Shackleton's Legendary Antarctic Expidition by Caroline Alexander nd Photography by Frank Hurley.
Astonishing recovered photography and the diaries of the crew members about what happened.
Jeez, these guys' had massive cojones knowing (or not) what was going to happen to them!!
Some awesome photographs. There are loads of photographs that never made it back. Amazing that any made it back really. I actually had the honour of visiting Shackleton’s grave on South Georgia during my time in the navy. That is what inspired me to read the book the first time.

Visit site
Does anyone love historical adventute fiction
I have a near complete set of the Aubrey/Maturin novels (20) by Patrick O'Brian to give away

We are moving back to France and everything must go [even i may be available on FB marketplace Italia]
I don't mind offloading my other stuff locally but these are a treasure so would rather they went to a good home [I have another set somewhere at my Brothers in England]

Happy to arrange postage - I would look after that - and perhaps the receiver could donate summat to your preferred charity as a token

D

Deleted member 1147

Just finished Silverview, Le Carre’s last book.
Good but not to his usually high standard.

Now just starting David Copperfield.

4LEX

Visit site
Just finished reading a book on the old school caddies won The Open in the 60, 70's and 80's. Great read. Now onto The Secret Footballer which is hit and miss.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle: Haruki Murakami
Well it took me over three months to read (it has been my bedtime read and so not much at a time) but for depth, complexity and historical context (sino-russian war and Japanese occupation of Manchuria, it was engrossing). If you are an 'action' book reader then Murakami is not for you, but if you fancy a 600+ page challenge.

A much shorter and simpler one the moment. Consider the Lilies by Iain Crichton Smith. A short story of the Highland Clearances set in Sutherland around 1814. Moving in its story of the heartlessness and disregard the powerful displayed over the vulnerable and poor. At least Patrick Sellar was taken to task over his part, though cleared of culpable homicide...

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 1147

Good one that. I love Dickens and have read much. Bleak House is worth tackling if you haven't already. And A Tale of Two Cities - a shorter read.
I think I'll keep to few short reads before anymore Dickens.
Perhaps finish the Bernard Sampson novels with Hope, Faith and then Charity; having done Game, Set & Match and Hook, Line & Sinker already.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I think I'll keep to few short reads before anymore Dickens.
Perhaps finish the Bernard Sampson novels with Hope, Faith and then Charity; having done Game, Set & Match and Hook, Line & Sinker already.
I always give myself a good break after reading a Dickens...tackling shorter and often more modern works of the 200pp-300pp length.

ExRabbit

Club Champion
Visit site
And Away... by Bob Mortimer. Can't take too long over it as there are 31 people in a queue waiting for it at the library, so no renewals possible.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
The latest Jack Reacher, the second written by Lee Childs brother. Very disappointing, the whole style of writing is off, the depth isn't there. It is also written as Reacher in the 1st person, I don't remember that previously. I, I, I constantly.

I think this will be the last one for me, they are a pale imitation now. Roll on the Amazon series.