Books - what are you reading just now?

• Thread starter Deleted Member 1156
  • Start date

Whereditgo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The latest Jack Reacher, the second written by Lee Childs brother. Very disappointing, the whole style of writing is off, the depth isn't there. It is also written as Reacher in the 1st person, I don't remember that previously. I, I, I constantly.

I think this will be the last one for me, they are a pale imitation now. Roll on the Amazon series.

I agree - the Mitch Rapp series by Vince Flynn are a similar genre, but better written imo.

Visit site
The latest Jack Reacher, the second written by Lee Childs brother. Very disappointing, the whole style of writing is off, the depth isn't there. It is also written as Reacher in the 1st person, I don't remember that previously. I, I, I constantly.

I think this will be the last one for me, they are a pale imitation now. Roll on the Amazon series.
I bought it earlier in the week
Chapter 1 ok - but a bit odd - and obviously sometime later in the full story - usually hate that - [though its happened before with Reacher]
Chapter 2 - 1st person - - stopped reading [though its also happened before with Reacher - once or twice] - all just a bit of a chore

Its clear he is just letting the brother do it - but its also clear even Lee Child can't be bothered reading it - there is a horrendous grammatical issue on Page 1

A great pity - we'll just have to wait for the new Vera:p

Last edited:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
A short piece of light adventure at the moment...Santorini by Alistair MacLean. 99p from local Oxfam.

I have enjoyed his books since a lad. No explicit violence or gore...and as he said...we know that men and women have sex...I don't need to describe it. So quite 'Boys Own' type stuff and sometimes that does me just fine.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
And Away... by Bob Mortimer. Can't take too long over it as there are 31 people in a queue waiting for it at the library, so no renewals possible.
Just finished this, read it in two days. Really enjoyed it. Funny, interesting, moving. You can hear his voice in the words, very much a positive imo.

His diet though, his lifestyle :eek:o_O. No surprise his heart nearly gave up.

Incidentally, anyone who is a Bob fan, listen to his episode on the Off Menu podcast with Ed Gamble and James Acaster. Classic Bob and a great listen.

D

Deleted member 1147

I've just finished the final instalment of the Bernard Sampson books (Game, Set & Match , Hook, Line & Sinker , Faith, Hope & Charity) - thoroughly enjoyed them all.

Now I've started Kleptopia, by Tom Burgis
It's a novel style, non-fiction, about financial corruption, money laundering, dark money, shell corporations and political lobbying.

I only heard of it because recently the books main antagonists, a Kazak company called ENRC tried to prevent it's release, and tried to sue the publishers. So it came more into the public consciousness.

It's opened well, so hopefully will carry on and improve ??

phillarrow

Visit site
Just finished The Collector by John Fowles. Brilliant and horrible in equal measure.

I read The Light Between Oceans earlier in the year and thought it was wonderful!

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
South. The story of Ernest Shackleton’s expedition to Antarctica in 1914/15. I’ve read it before but a long time ago. Incredible tale of hardship and survival.
Have just seen some amazing footage of the Endurance. A search team has discovered its location in Antarctica.

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
Reading my first Wilbur Smith novel, so far so good.
Previous read Richard Osman's The Thursday Murder Club which I found to be pretty awful.

Just finished his 2nd Thursday Murder Club novel, “The man who died twice” thoroughly enjoyed it. What did you not like about the 1st book, his portrayal of septuagenarians?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
One Pair of Feet by Monica Dickens (1942). Gentle and humerous reminiscences of the authors year as a nurse during WW2, but also interesting as a little social record of a nurses life and of healthcare provision during wartime and pre-NHS.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Just finished his 2nd Thursday Murder Club novel, “The man who died twice” thoroughly enjoyed it. What did you not like about the 1st book, his portrayal of septuagenarians?
I got the feeling I was reading a future Death in Paradise [which I also don't like] script and his attempted injection of humour did not work in black and white. [for me]

D

Deleted member 1147

I thought the story was decent, but the writing was poor.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Working my way back through the Discworld series (for the umpteenth time), on to Witches Abroad which is a little bit of Cinderella and a little bit Pratchett magic. Great book with the usual Pratchett social observations nailed to a tee.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Just started The Match by Mark Frost and already really enjoying learning a bit of background on some of the greats of yesteryear…Hagen, Sarazen, Nelson and Hogan, plus of course the background to the match itself…when a pair of top amateurs were pitched against…erm…Hogan and Nelson.

Remembering of course that back in the day amateur did not mean of lower ability - and in fact as far as status and standing in the game were concerned, amateurs had been considered higher than professionals. Remembering also that in 1930 Bobby Jones as an amateur had won The Open; The Amateur Championship; The US Open and The US Amateur Championship - the original Grand Slam.

Anyway…back to the book…it’s 1957 and the morning of The Match and the players are arriving at Cypress Pt.

Last edited:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Well...The Match by Mark Frost was an excellent and informative read for any interested in the history and development of golf - and the background to some of the main protagonists in the game of the early to mid C20th. I can now place such as Hagen, Sarazen, Jones, Hogan, Nelson, Venturi and Palmer on a timeline - and I know the huge place in the story of the game of such as Harvie Ward, Lawson Little and Frank Stranahan.

And a complete change now (as is my wont) - Daphne du Maurier's The Flight of the Falcon. I really enjoy her books and this is proving a good read.

D

Deleted member 1147

Just finished Pat Barker's Regeneration. Now considering the other 2 books in the trilogy.